Blenny/gold rush aggression towards hawk fish

nezquick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi

I’ve recently added an additional wrasse and scarlet hawk fish to my tank, the wrasse was more or less accepted immediately and is currently buried in the sand (I know this is fairly common behaviour)

however, the blenny and gold rush are being aggressive towards the scarlet hawk. The goby just seems to swim at him with its mouth open it not really nipping or making contact. The gold rush seems to just dart at the hawk fish and then shoots off.

ive put a small mirror up to gain the attention of the tang (although always sceptical about this) and have upped the food a little to accommodate for the new fish. Hawk is definitely eating and seems fairly happy bobbing on the wave maker and then to the bed and along the front and back again so doesn’t seem tooo bothered by it all. He does react quickly to the “charges” made by the blenny and tang.

is it likely that this will continue full stop or is it likely to calm down after a few days. Plenty of spots for everything to hide. Blenny has its hole in the middle rock and tang has a little cave type section that it stays in so wondering it’s it’s territorial.

blenny is about 2 inches. Tang is medium-small Scarlet hawk is probably about medium size.

Thanks

note. I did introduce the hawk and wrasse in to the tank in a fish trap box and they were left alone completely it was once the hawk came out the box it started.

F i s h y

2nd In Command. Where is Frank's firebug badge?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This should calm down in a few days. My tang (purple) still pushes all my fish around from time to time to assert dominance. As long as there is no actual damage being done and the new fish are getting food you should be good to go.

OP
OP
N

nezquick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fingers crossed. Seemed a little better last night. Hawk was swimming out front was left alone for a while even next to the blenny and tang and then the tang went for him again when it got near its little cave area so seems territorial more than anything. Yes definitely eating and no real signs of damage.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 19.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back