Bloat?? HELP!

Bentonb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think my clownfish might have bloat...? I've heard of it happening in fresh water fish (betas) but never in salt water. He's unable to really swim down, he seems to float up at the top (still swimming) but like he's full of air?? I don't know what to do??? just wait it out? or what? please help!

Daimyo68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A little more info could help:

Any other fish suffering/showing signs of being sick?
Water parameters?
Added any new fish lately?

It sounds like Swim Bladder, which can be caused due to a "blockage" or baterial infection. Have you seen the clown poop lately? If not, you could try taking a pea (yes a green pea) dicing it up and see if the fish will eat it. This will help to relieve any blockage since it is a natural laxative. If the fish starts to return to normal, then keep with the pea until he's healthy again and able to swim normally.

Also, if there are other fish in the system, keep an eye on them.

Daimyo68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The sooner the better for trying a pea.

Hold off on the phyto, although I don't believe that would cause an issue unless it is outdated/bad.

Also I'll rephrase my response above: if you do see that the fish poops and is starting to return to normal after a couple days, then stop feeding for a few days and keep a close eye on it. They will be fine without eating for a few days, and it will give the sick fish some time to get rid of the rest of whatever bound him up in the first place.

OP
OP
Bentonb

Bentonb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He seemed better when I got back from class, however I still chopped up two peas and dropped em in, so far so good. Thanks for your help =)

Good trouble: Have mushrooms ever become pests in your aquarium?

• Mushrooms would never be pests even if they kept replicating.

Votes: 19 22.4%
  • Mushrooms have not become a pest for me.

Votes: 31 36.5%
  • Mushroom have become overgrown, but not to the point of becoming pests.

Votes: 14 16.5%
  • Mushrooms have become pests in my aquarium.

Votes: 20 23.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back