Bloated Randall’s Goby

GG0L3M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I’ve had my Randall’s Goby for over a year, and he’s been perfectly fine. In the past six months or so, he developed a serious bloat, as shown in the pictures attached. What should I do? It’s been the same size for quite some time, and doesn’t appear to affect the fish in the slightest, other than the obvious movement difference. I hadn’t really thought about it until recently when I deep cleaned the tank and restored it. Upon taking him out, I realized the bloat was large on one side than the other, and that could be simply a benign tumor. I thought I’d ask however, because if I can fix it I would like to.

Tank Parameters are standard, The tank is perfectly healthy. I only say standard because I don’t know the exact numbers, but based off most recent tests and personal experience, the tank parameters are average and suitable.

8D598D63-0517-4136-B55B-8AAC1D22EF4C.jpeg ADCB99EE-F8B0-4707-B965-1ECC357F3866.jpeg BAB1339B-079C-4FED-87E1-A3F743CB3B21.jpeg E13650AE-10A2-4913-B96F-35E8BAFFAEED.jpeg

Last edited:

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t see any treatment for that. The possible diagnoses are, as you said, a tumor, egg binding, obesity and ascites. Of those, only obesity and a benign tumor are going to not show more serious symptoms. The fact that it is asymmetrical points more to a tumor. I’ve just never seen an obese goby...
Jay

Upvote 0
OP
OP
GG0L3M

GG0L3M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t see any treatment for that. The possible diagnoses are, as you said, a tumor, egg binding, obesity and ascites. Of those, only obesity and a benign tumor are going to not show more serious symptoms. The fact that it is asymmetrical points more to a tumor. I’ve just never seen an obese goby...
Jay
My thoughts exactly. It couldn't be egg binding as it's never had experience with another goby, much less time to mate. There's the chance that it is obesity, but I seriously doubt it. On top of that, it's extremely asymmetrical and seems to be harmless. So yeah, it's probably just a strange benign tumor judging by the fact that he hasn't died or shown any signs of sickness. Thank you for the second opinion.
-Jack

Upvote 0

ohnoitisjoe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Old thread, I know, but I have a similar thing with my Randall’s prawn goby, though undoubtedly less swollen. I didn’t actually notice that first though- I started worrying when I noticed a small rough patch on one side of their lower jaw, on the outside. Can’t get any pictures as they’re far too skittish, but I managed to get a really close look and it looks almost exactly like sand, under or in a layer of skin.Can’t find anything like it online, does anyone have any ideas? He lives in a burrow with a pistol shrimp, tank parameters are great and have been for ages, and the last addition to the tank was nearly a year ago so I really doubt it’s a parasite. But coupled with a lil bloated belly, I suspect it could be something like a tumour on a hormone gland. Could it really just be sand and a fat goby?

Upvote 0

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Old thread, I know, but I have a similar thing with my Randall’s prawn goby, though undoubtedly less swollen. I didn’t actually notice that first though- I started worrying when I noticed a small rough patch on one side of their lower jaw, on the outside. Can’t get any pictures as they’re far too skittish, but I managed to get a really close look and it looks almost exactly like sand, under or in a layer of skin.Can’t find anything like it online, does anyone have any ideas? He lives in a burrow with a pistol shrimp, tank parameters are great and have been for ages, and the last addition to the tank was nearly a year ago so I really doubt it’s a parasite. But coupled with a lil bloated belly, I suspect it could be something like a tumour on a hormone gland. Could it really just be sand and a fat goby?
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

Without a picture it is really tough to say, even with a picture we can’t always make a definitive diagnosis. Sometimes, a short video is easier to get.
I’m not sure what he lesion on the chin could be, I doubt it is related to the bloating though. Is the goby still eating o.k.?
Jay

Upvote 0

TuxUrchin07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
... huh. My black sailfin blenny also has that fat belly. I thought that was just how they looked...
Can't see it in this picture tho
IMG_20210416_180030_835.jpg

Upvote 0

ohnoitisjoe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

Without a picture it is really tough to say, even with a picture we can’t always make a definitive diagnosis. Sometimes, a short video is easier to get.
I’m not sure what he lesion on the chin could be, I doubt it is related to the bloating though. Is the goby still eating o.k.?
Jay
Yeah, he’s eating fine and hasn’t changed his behaviour one bit. I’ll see if i can get a photo today :)

Upvote 0

ohnoitisjoe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, he’s eating fine and hasn’t changed his behaviour one bit. I’ll see if i can get a photo today :)
Here they are- the lesion is only on their right side, and they have a slightly swollen belly. I’m not sure how swollen is too swollen, as i have seen pictures of other Randall’s that are fairly tubby too. Another thing I did forget to mention is their sail seems to be almost ragged, though it seems to be repairing itself and I doubt it’s fin rot. They do live under a piece of live rock (and I do have a minor vermetid snail problem!) so I think it’s not out of the question for them to be scraping their fin. Also haven’t noticed anything on their other fins. All other inhabitants of the tank are thriving and everything that’s happened to the Randall’s seems to be purely cosmetic, as he’s eating fine and hasn’t changed his behaviour at all. Any and all opinions will be appreciated :D

Attachments

• 8C8F5F0F-8206-4933-B7F9-EBEA476D7BAE.jpeg
    8C8F5F0F-8206-4933-B7F9-EBEA476D7BAE.jpeg
    125 KB · Views: 56
  • A756D376-AB00-4A83-8181-27BCE3BC865C.jpeg
    A756D376-AB00-4A83-8181-27BCE3BC865C.jpeg
    146.5 KB · Views: 43
  • C9CB3485-A1F7-4783-ACBF-81FF47C95B2A.jpeg
    C9CB3485-A1F7-4783-ACBF-81FF47C95B2A.jpeg
    160 KB · Views: 52
  • 3E054626-7D0D-424F-88BC-410A44CD4705.jpeg
    3E054626-7D0D-424F-88BC-410A44CD4705.jpeg
    145.2 KB · Views: 50
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    183.7 KB · Views: 46
Upvote 0

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can see the chin lesion, I just don't know what it could be. Interestingly, both the blenny and the goby have damaged fins. Just because you haven't seen any fighting doesn't mean it isn't happening - it can be over in a second and there are 86,000 seconds in one day. Typically, fins don't damage themselves, primary bacterial infections are rare, and get worse really fast. Fish rarely injure themselves on rocks - their whole design is to live in coral reefs.
What other fish are in the tank with these two? Maybe they are fighting one another?

Jay

Upvote 0

ohnoitisjoe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can see the chin lesion, I just don't know what it could be. Interestingly, both the blenny and the goby have damaged fins. Just because you haven't seen any fighting doesn't mean it isn't happening - it can be over in a second and there are 86,000 seconds in one day. Typically, fins don't damage themselves, primary bacterial infections are rare, and get worse really fast. Fish rarely injure themselves on rocks - their whole design is to live in coral reefs.
What other fish are in the tank with these two? Maybe they are fighting one another?

Jay
I doubt there’s any fighting, especially as the goby is so shy and has as of yet never strayed an inch past their cave entrance, even at night. They burrow with a fully-grown pistol shrimp too, so I don’t think anything’s been coming in there at all. Also, I have the tank in the corner of my room, always in the corner of my eye, with the goby’s hideaway always facing me, and the only fish that ever comes near is my Starry Blenny, who plonks himself right infront of the entrance in the corner of the tank occasionally. My other fish are one smaller Ocellaris Clown, a Yellow Coris wrasse, a Blue Sapphire damsel (who I would suspect, but has only ever rarely bothered my clownfish), and said Starry Blenny. I have a skunk cleaner shrimp, two small hermits, and a conch. I doubt anything bacterial as the lesion has been apparent for about a week at this point, and the goby’s just fine. The only reason i suspected the rocks is because of the Vermetid problem, and from personal experience, they can really cut you. Though, that wouldn’t explain the lesion. I wonder if they’re connected, seeing as Tux’ Blenny also has slightly tattered fins and a big belly.
If it helps at all, the lesion changes slightly over time- I occasionally see a black spot, and the entire thing’s size seems to change occasionally (though I can’t entirely trust this, as looking through the corner of the tank slightly impacts the perspective of these things).

Upvote 0

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could the pistol shrimp have snapped the blennies tail?

The chin lesion is really weird - some fish get a similar lesion when tangling with bristle worms, and I could see a goby trying to move a worm out of its burrow by mouth, but then, the lesion wouldn't last long, a few days at most.

Jay

Upvote 0
OP
OP
GG0L3M

GG0L3M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Figured I might as well add a detail of my own; My Randall's is still thriving and living his best life, despite the fact that he still has the bloat. However, I did a bit of inspecting and I have to say, I agree, it looks almost exactly like sand.

Upvote 0

ohnoitisjoe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Figured I might as well add a detail of my own; My Randall's is still thriving and living his best life, despite the fact that he still has the bloat. However, I did a bit of inspecting and I have to say, I agree, it looks almost exactly like sand.
I meant as in, the lesion on my goby looks like sand- but I definitely agree it looks like something’s in there. Looking on Google now, sometimes you can see a slightly bloated Randall’s goby- I’m not sure if this is just something that happens, and your goby is just showing it a little more than others. I’ve attached a picture I found on google that has a similarly sized belly to mine. It seems to be relatively benign, anyway!
Could the pistol shrimp have snapped the blennies tail?

The chin lesion is really weird - some fish get a similar lesion when tangling with bristle worms, and I could see a goby trying to move a worm out of its burrow by mouth, but then, the lesion wouldn't last long, a few days at most.

Jay
As far as I’m aware, I don’t have any bristleworms or anything if the sort. Recently I moved the tank, took all of the sand and live rock out, and nada. Though in a reef tank I suppose it’s not impossible (insert the story of that 3ft Bobbit worm in an aquarium display tank that went unnoticed for years).

Upvote 0

Set it and forget it: Do you change your aquascape as your corals grow?

• I regularly change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 13 9.4%
  • I occasionally change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 38 27.3%
  • I rarely change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 67 48.2%
  • I never change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 18 12.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.2%
Back