Blond naso tang big mark on side

  • Thread starter Thread starter Linden13
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Linden13

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Aug 19, 2023
Messages
211
Reaction score
316
Location
Martinez
What state or country do you live in
California
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Just noticed this big dark spot on the side of my blond naso tang this morning. I didn't notice it yesterday but possible I just didn't see it since it is only on the one side and I didn't give my tank much attention yesterday. The lights just came on in my tank and I just left for work so I won't be around all day. Any ideas if its some kind of infection or bruise? The tang has been in the tank for about 10 months. Last time I added new fish was maybe 3 months all fish that have been added in the past maybe 2 years were from Dr. Reef. I didn't see any other marks on other fish but couldn't get a good look at all of them they were still hiding/sleeping and I only had a few minutes before I left. Any help will be appreciated thank you



20260808_062055.jpg

20260808_062616.jpg
 
Could it be a sting from a coral? Another possibility. I have a large Hippo that gets discolored almost bleached areas for time to time with no apparent cause. They fade and full color returns in a day or so. I believe it has something to do with hormones and excitement or maybe stress.
 
Just noticed this big dark spot on the side of my blond naso tang this morning. I didn't notice it yesterday but possible I just didn't see it since it is only on the one side and I didn't give my tank much attention yesterday. The lights just came on in my tank and I just left for work so I won't be around all day. Any ideas if its some kind of infection or bruise? The tang has been in the tank for about 10 months. Last time I added new fish was maybe 3 months all fish that have been added in the past maybe 2 years were from Dr. Reef. I didn't see any other marks on other fish but couldn't get a good look at all of them they were still hiding/sleeping and I only had a few minutes before I left. Any help will be appreciated thank you



20260808_062055.jpg

20260808_062616.jpg
It not unusual for this fish to display “nocturnal camouflage” from time to time. Can result from a stressful event or environment change.

Just keep an eye on that for 24 hours.
 
Just noticed this big dark spot on the side of my blond naso tang this morning. I didn't notice it yesterday but possible I just didn't see it since it is only on the one side and I didn't give my tank much attention yesterday. The lights just came on in my tank and I just left for work so I won't be around all day. Any ideas if its some kind of infection or bruise? The tang has been in the tank for about 10 months. Last time I added new fish was maybe 3 months all fish that have been added in the past maybe 2 years were from Dr. Reef. I didn't see any other marks on other fish but couldn't get a good look at all of them they were still hiding/sleeping and I only had a few minutes before I left. Any help will be appreciated thank you



20260808_062055.jpg

20260808_062616.jpg
This is not camouflage but rather bacterial often called thumbprints and likely triggered from injury or irritation and should be treated in a separate tank using Seachem Kanaplex 7-10 days
 
Thank you
At first I thought maybe camouflage but have never seen that fish with a spot before usually its whole body gets darker or lighter.

Bacterial infection was the only thing I could find that looks close.
Any idea what usually causes that? Coral sting or getting scraped on something?
Also what are thr chances of it going away on its own? Just trying to figure out the seriousness of this. I will need to get the meds as soon as I can and I would probably have to use a storage bin to treat him in. I have a small maybe 3 gallon tank or an old 10 gallon tank that was used as a sump so has baffles in it so maybe about 5 gallons swimming area is that big enough for treatment. I would say the tang is about 4 to 5 inches long.
 
Is seachem kanaplex the only treatment? It looks like petco doesn't carry it. I can amazon it but i wouldn't get it till tomorrow is that OK? There is a fish store i can stop at on my way home today that could possibly have it but im not sure.
 
Thank you
At first I thought maybe camouflage but have never seen that fish with a spot before usually its whole body gets darker or lighter.

Bacterial infection was the only thing I could find that looks close.
Any idea what usually causes that? Coral sting or getting scraped on something?
Also what are thr chances of it going away on its own? Just trying to figure out the seriousness of this. I will need to get the meds as soon as I can and I would probably have to use a storage bin to treat him in. I have a small maybe 3 gallon tank or an old 10 gallon tank that was used as a sump so has baffles in it so maybe about 5 gallons swimming area is that big enough for treatment. I would say the tang is about 4 to 5 inches long.

It looks like a bacterial infection to me. Tough to say if it is superficial or more deep-seated. Antibiotics would be indicated, BUT they need to be dosed in a properly set up hospital tank.
 
24 hour update. I havnt had a chance to set up a hospital tank yet but kanaplex should be here today and could get a tank set up tonight. The spot is visibly smaller and I think looking better. I havnt seen any difference in behavior and is eating normally. Is it even necessary to put him in a hospital tank and treat or should I give it another 24 hours to see what it looks like?



20260809_062449.jpg

20260809_062446.jpg
 
24 hour update. I havnt had a chance to set up a hospital tank yet but kanaplex should be here today and could get a tank set up tonight. The spot is visibly smaller and I think looking better. I havnt seen any difference in behavior and is eating normally. Is it even necessary to put him in a hospital tank and treat or should I give it another 24 hours to see what it looks like?



20260809_062449.jpg

20260809_062446.jpg

While the whole lesion is much smaller (good!) is the center of it deeper, or the same as yesterday? If the same, then I would wait before trying a treatment.
 
None of it looks deep that I could see. It looks like it is just on the surface. Dark spot with maybe like a white slime or coating. Hard to get a good look and picture always seems to be facing the other way with the other side facing me. I will try and get a small tank set up tonight just incase and the meds will be here today but I think I will leave him be and keep monitoring him unless it starts getting worse. Trying to get a fish out of a full 6ft reef tank will not be easy. Ill keep updating and any advice is appreciated
 
Another update its looking smaller again today I would say anything deep looks all surface level. My plan is to just keep monitoring it in the main tank unless someone thinks I should take it out to treat it.



20260810_054804.jpg

20260810_054655.jpg
 
Another update its looking smaller again today I would say anything deep looks all surface level. My plan is to just keep monitoring it in the main tank unless someone thinks I should take it out to treat it.



20260810_054804.jpg

20260810_054655.jpg
Good to see...question...do you have anenomes in the tank? I had a new Naso get stung by a RBTA when I introduced him...similar looking spot that went away after a few days.
 
I just have one rock flower anemone and probably aptasia no other anemone. I was wondering if torches or hammers could possibly do that? Maybe some other aggressive coral?
 
I just have one rock flower anemone and probably aptasia no other anemone. I was wondering if torches or hammers could possibly do that? Maybe some other aggressive coral?
You may never know...as long as it's improving, don't stress it out trying to catch to medicate. Keep well fed also.
 
Another update. Still improving almost all better maybe 1 or 2 more days i think. I do think keep all my fish fed well they all look pretty thick to me. I will keep updating daily

Thanks again everyone for all the advice and help



20260811_055819.jpg
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 3 12.5%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 11 45.8%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 3 12.5%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 1 4.2%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 1 4.2%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 3 12.5%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 2 8.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new