Blotched Anthia went from eating like a pig to hiding under a rock

massymas94

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As the title says, my blotchy anthia was has been doing great since I introduced him to the tank 3 weeks ago. Eating and swimming around. Yesterday I did a water change and noticed that he didn’t come out. Saw him wedged under a rock, still breathing,(but maybe breathing hard? It’s tough to tell with him under the rock) today it’s more of the same except in a different spot. Did the water change traumatize it or should I be thinking some sort of disease? All the other fish including 2 clowns, a kole tang, a possum wrasse, and a Randall’s Goby are all acting totally normal

Attachments

• IMG_9534.mov
    24.5 MB

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
As the title says, my blotchy anthia was has been doing great since I introduced him to the tank 3 weeks ago. Eating and swimming around. Yesterday I did a water change and noticed that he didn’t come out. Saw him wedged under a rock, still breathing,(but maybe breathing hard? It’s tough to tell with him under the rock) today it’s more of the same except in a different spot. Did the water change traumatize it or should I be thinking some sort of disease? All the other fish including 2 clowns, a kole tang, a possum wrasse, and a Randall’s Goby are all acting totally normal
This is a hard video to work with realizing the fish wedges itself well. It likely got spooked from water change process but question is, was there any damage incurred when it went into rocks. As long as it knows you are there, one thing you can try is to step back from tank but first set your cell phone on video mode for about 20 mins and drop a little food and walk away - YOU MUST walk away as they know youre there. Come back and review video and you will see the fish, see if its eating and notice any damage IF any in video

OP
OP
massymas94

massymas94

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a hard video to work with realizing the fish wedges itself well. It likely got spooked from water change process but question is, was there any damage incurred when it went into rocks. As long as it knows you are there, one thing you can try is to step back from tank but first set your cell phone on video mode for about 20 mins and drop a little food and walk away - YOU MUST walk away as they know youre there. Come back and review video and you will see the fish, see if its eating and notice any damage IF any in video
I’ll give that a try!

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed - all I can see in the video is that the fish is breathing too deep and too fast.

It could have gotten spooked by the water change. However, the timing is also about right for flukes to show up. Was this fish treated for flukes yet?

Jay

OP
OP
massymas94

massymas94

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed - all I can see in the video is that the fish is breathing too deep and too fast.

It could have gotten spooked by the water change. However, the timing is also about right for flukes to show up. Was this fish treated for flukes yet?

Jay
The fish was not treated for flukes but was allegedly quarantined by the seller. Think I should treat the tank just in case?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The fish was not treated for flukes but was allegedly quarantined by the seller. Think I should treat the tank just in case?

Sorry, I can't say without a clearer video, and even then it might not be a 100% diagnosis.

You can usually treat a display with Prazipro with a fair amount of safety, as long as you add extra aeration. You would dose the tank once, then again, 8 days later.

Jay

OP
OP
massymas94

massymas94

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, I can't say without a clearer video, and even then it might not be a 100% diagnosis.

You can usually treat a display with Prazipro with a fair amount of safety, as long as you add extra aeration. You would dose the tank once, then again, 8 days later.

Jay
Thanks! I went ahead a removed my skimmer cup, added 2 airstones and dosed 4.5 teaspoons to the return. Hoping it helps the little guy out

OP
OP
massymas94

massymas94

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
About 3 hours after dosing the prazipro I found the poor guy deceased. No liaisons on him, I think I can see a reddish stringy poop? He actually started moved around more in the last 3 hours (still under the rock) than he had in the past 24 hours. No idea what it is that killed him
IMG_9543.jpeg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
About 3 hours after dosing the prazipro I found the poor guy deceased. No liaisons on him, I think I can see a reddish stringy poop? He actually started moved around more in the last 3 hours (still under the rock) than he had in the past 24 hours. No idea what it is that killed him
IMG_9543.jpeg

Sorry to see.

That is a super tiny one. The belly looks pretty full - sometimes these fish suffer from decompression issues when brought to the surface. Did you see any signs of it floating? Fish will sometimes wedge themselves under a rock if they are floating.

Also - is that just a refection, or is there something on its eye? I'm wondering if it had Neobendenia flukes....

Jay

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 88 57.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.1%
Back