Royal gramma lying on the sand.

LandLockedJones

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey there,

I’ve got this royal gramma, had it for about a year I think. And it is typically fairly active.ill try and keep the backstory briefish. But I can’t help myself sorry.

After adding a small fox face to my 40 gallon system, noticed that it was rarely visible. Come to find out the gramma was hiding from the fox face which would chase after it, unless there was food in the tank that he was off eating. But if he noticed it out of its cave, the FF would chase it back into the cave.

I began noticing the fox face trying to move into the cave. It’s kind of neurotic and spazzes out at the simplest things. Darting all over the tank. Like when I clean the glass or siphon water.

Fast forward to 3 days ago, the gramma was lying in the sand up wedged between the front glass and a rock. Thought it was strange but it swam off and hid after only a few seconds. Was able to look long enough that I didn’t see any obvious signs of ich or velvet at that time. Velvet would likely have killed this fish by now I imagine.

Today I found the fish in the corner of the tank, lying still again. Noticed breathing was labored, and I just set up a 20 gallon upstairs 2 days ago. So I thought why not catch it, and stick it in the 20.

The gramma attempted to escape once and then literally swam right into my net. And did not fight being extracted. Uuuuntil I reached the surface and it went carpet surfing for a moment.

After isolating in the 20 gallon, I think I am seeing some fin damage. But can’t get a close enough look at it as it is hiding in the rockwork. I was able to see that while its breathing does seem labored, it is not breathing rapidly. No yawning or coughing observed so far.

Tank was set up with rock from my sump. Ammonia badge is reading 0 but it was old so I bought a new one. Also reading 0 for now.

I plan to do some large water changes if ammonia creeps up on the badge, and if it becomes an issue I’m going to my other lfs to grab some dr Tim’s. But I don’t have a test kit as the one I have was expired and the petco I bought the badge from didn’t have a kit.

At first, it just laid still at the bottom of the tank. Since then I’ve seen it moving around, but still hasn’t eaten that I’ve seen.

If it’s still alive tomorrow and I haven’t gotten a picture I’m going to attempt catching it and placing in a specimen container. Which I should have done to start with for a photo op. But I didn’t think about it.

Going to test water parameters on the 40 gallon when my daughter takes her nap. I’ll post the results later.

Due to the fin damage I’m leaning more toward bullying that disease. And it seems to be acting more normal than in the 40 gallon so far.

So, I’ve bought some pellet food with garlic, which I intend to soak in vitachem before adding to the 20 gallon tank for the gramma. I have the lights off hoping to offer it a calming place to rest.

Is there anything else I should be doing or watching for? Gonna try to feed without the garlic food first.

The other fish seem fine for the moment. All acting normally. Though I did see one of my clowns swim toward a powerhead earlier. But just the one time so far.

That was not brief at all…

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Intimidation and aggression very possible. Please post pics under white light intensity for best assessment

OP
OP
LandLockedJones

LandLockedJones

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it’s hiding on the backside of the rocks unfortunately. I can see it off the back glass but no luck yet.

I just got done running parameters. And did find the alk higher than anticipated. But obviously wouldn’t cause damage to the fins like I saw.

Salinity: 35ppt (refractometer)
Ph:8 (api drops)

(Hanna checkers)
Nitrate: 12.6ppm
Phosphate: .28ppm
Calcium: 428ppm
Alkalinity: 10.1dkh

I haven’t dosed all for reef yet today. So 10.1dkh is definitely higher than I thought.

Since starting it a few weeks back my alk readings were low because of old reagents. I upped my dose by 5ml. I was sitting at 8.6, though, the bad reagents were reading higher. The increase happened over this past week.

Perhaps I should not have done so with the tank blacked out fighting Dino’s, in hindsight.

However, the first time I saw it lying on its side was before increasing my dosage.

Not really sure how to bring it back down other than water changes. Would this change cause problems for fish like this?

I recall brs saying an alk range of like 7-12 was fine. I was not intending to go this high though. I just got a little lazy with testing and didn’t check after increasing the dose. Was only aiming for 8-9 dkh as my salt mix is only at 7 I believe.

Everything else still looks alright. Few corals and all the remaining fish.

I still think it’s the aggressive fish as well. But just trying to check all other options.

OP
OP
LandLockedJones

LandLockedJones

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick update:

The gramma seems to be fairing well in this tank. I unfortunately haven’t gotten any decent photos as the fish hides under the rocks all day.

I decided to set up a camera I could view from my phone. I’ve been able to observe it eating things lying outside the cave. And swimming around normally. But it is still pretty apprehensive to leave the cave, even with just the camera.

I’m trying to sit a little farther back from the tank and let the fish get used to seeing me. It is sort of working but I still can’t get a pic with my phone. And the blue lights make the cameras even worse than they usually are. I’m running only whites now.

But the fish is still alive and all others are still looking okay. So, I am thinking that it was just being bullied and is a little traumatized now.

OP
OP
LandLockedJones

LandLockedJones

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another update:

Well, I may have imagined the damage to the tail fin, but the dorsal seems to be a bit tattered on the back end. The fins are hard to see and they both may have been this way since owning it. I’m not too sure.

The queen (not sure if this is a female, but my wife always says she) has finally decided to grace me with a few photo opportunities. And luckily I’ve had a bit of time to sit and watch today.

IMG_5479.jpeg

IMG_5545.png

Seems to be settling in a bit more. And actually swimming out of the little cave. More natural for sure. This fish played peekaboo from around the rocks since day one.

I did a 50% water change because I saw the ammonia badge reading at .05ppm today. Which sucks I added 2 medium sized rocks I’d had in my sump but they hadn’t actually been in but about 3 weeks. So I guess they didn’t get much chance.

Guess I will have to do that at least every few days until the tank cycles. I do have some dr Tim’s on the way. It’s the one that says you are supposed to add a fish on day one.

They don’t seem to sell it many places anymore. But I found a bottle on Amazon, I’m honestly not even sure how many gallons the bottle is recommended for as the picture was blurry. I have never used that stuff before.

Would there be any issue adding the dr Tim’s while the fish is in the tank? If I recall the instructions say to add the bacteria and then the fish.

How about adding that when I have been adding brightwell’s mb7 and FastartM which is the old version of the Start XLM sort of.

IMG_5545.png

Last edited:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 24 14.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 94 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.7%
Back