Blue corals turning white

jimmypencil

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there an element that affects blue corals specifically? 2 of my Montis which are blue are getting slight white patches in the center, it is strange because they are the only corals affected and they are both blue. This happened to me once a few months ago and i resolved it after a week or 2, but of course i don't remember what i did. I have an icp test from last month when everything was doing fantastic, so i will send another one out to compare. here are some pics (it doesnt look as bad in the pictures but there are clearly white patches that are not spots of new growth.)
processed-0BBE5F3A-0114-4511-9DBA-4F5894E2DAA2-EE6FBA0C-3F9D-487C-A438-146FD095DBCD.jpeg

processed-C9F522C2-5810-4281-8E5F-CB335AC67AE4-DA015B24-5BD2-4613-8000-C52CC0B95CC1.jpeg

Last edited:

encrustingacro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Generally, white as a form of new growth is at the edges of a colony. (There are exceptions to this case, such as Orbicella franksi, but those don't really occur in the hobby).

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Base color is green, they have blue polyps. It's not what one would call a blue coral.

White in the center(in your case it's loosing the green skin, which causes the polyps to bleach or close up), and not the edges of monti's is typically bleaching.

Bleaching can be from anything. From temp spikes, to alk spikes, to nutrients depletion, to ditritus settling on them. Literally anything can cause monti's to bleach in spots like that.

OP
OP
jimmypencil

jimmypencil

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Base color is green, they have blue polyps. It's not what one would call a blue coral.

White in the center(in your case it's loosing the green skin, which causes the polyps to bleach or close up), and not the edges of monti's is typically bleaching.

Bleaching can be from anything. From temp spikes, to alk spikes, to nutrients depletion, to ditritus settling on them. Literally anything can cause monti's to bleach in spots like that.
Likely just the lighting in the photo. The name of the coral is blue Monti cap from cherry corals.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 157 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.9%
Back