Blue Green Scales Falling off of Face

Neuratox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So about 4 months ago I purchased a few blue green chromis from an online retailer, these fish unfortunately arrived carrying the parasite uronema marinum. Being new in the hobby, I had assumed two were hurt somehow - hence the mark up their side. One of these survived and did not contract the parasite. The fish has done well and about a month ago I purchased another from a retailer that I've come to trust more than the first. I noticed that the face of my oldest chromis was lighter in color than the new one; however, so was the rest of the body so I wrote this off as different collection sites and likely regional differences. I was looking closely at this fish again today and observed that most of his facial scales have come off. I've attached the best picture that I can manage and tried to add some contrast to aid in visualizing the lack of scales in the photo. Note that scale loss is from mouth to just behind the eye. This is roughly the same on the opposing side. I do not notice any changes in behavior, feeding, or interaction with the other fish. One one occasion I have seen the two blue green chromis fight momentarily but no sign of injury was noted immediately afterward. I have not seen any issues between the two since.

I'm concerned about the health of the fish and the rest of the tank. If anyone is familiar with this symptom and/or what it may be related to please let me know. I will try to keep this thread updated as any changes may or may not occur.
BlueGreenFace.png

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s a nice picture, and I think he looks pretty normal? Does the area seem discolored? Maybe I’m just not seeing it in the photo...

OP
OP
Neuratox

Neuratox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you. He's a pretty active fish so I had to do a burst of images to catch him in the right position. There isn't discoloration in the sense of inflammation or wound; however, there is a complete lack of "blueness" in the face now. When only the actinic light is on I'm also able to notice a lack of luster here. I had noticed this to a VERY minor degree when I first added the second Blue Green Chromis (about 2 months ago I believe), but it was a very tiny spot and I figured he had brushed up against something.

I guess its good to hear that the fish isn't abnormal looking. I'll post an update in a week or so detailing progression or decline of whatever this issue may be - or lack of change.

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also dont see anything.
Perhaps a shot in just white light :)

There are very few truly blue pigmented animals i want to say there are 2 known so far, a dragonette and type of anole from Colombia. All others its a refraction of light that causes the blue within the skin, scales or feathers. And type of light will play a part especially with fish.

If you are seeing a change in color. I would watch behavior first, rubbing, lack of appetite, aggression, hiding etc.

Next the face can be a starting point of hlle so watch if it progresses any further across the lateral line. And check water parameters and if running carbon cease if this happens.

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
^ good point, I’m used to seeing HLLE in tangs/angels so I didn’t consider it here.

How is the diet? I’ve read recently that blue-green chromis might actually do better with a feeding schedule similar to anthias... with frequent daily feedings.

Maybe try a few weeks of small frequent feedings, and vitamin-soaked foods (with selcon or vita-chem, or similar) and see if that makes a difference?

OP
OP
Neuratox

Neuratox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have several anthias so they are on a small 4-5x day schedule using a combo of brine shrimp, blood worm, msysis shrimp, and flake.

Gareth, I'm uncertain what you mean about the carbon. When should i stop using it, if hlle appears evident?

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have several anthias so they are on a small 4-5x day schedule using a combo of brine shrimp, blood worm, msysis shrimp, and flake.

Gareth, I'm uncertain what you mean about the carbon. When should i stop using it, if hlle appears evident?

Yes :) there are several theories as to why but there is definite statistical connection between usage of carbon and hlle. Often removing carbon or switching to a higher quality one (rox .08) it begins to heal.

OP
OP
Neuratox

Neuratox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just read up on HLLE. Thanks for the tips guys. I do run activated carbon so I'll remove that today and hunt down some vitamins to begin adding to the food. The picture may not show very well but there were some pictures of tangs with HLLE I found on google that appear the same as does the face of my chromis.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 73 34.8%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 3.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 56 26.7%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 66 31.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 3.8%
Back