Blue Hermits Crab - bye bye

Gabbone

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, I wanna share my experience with hermits. I have two beautiful blue hermit crabs but sadly, I decided to bring them back next week.

My tank is stock with corals and my hermits are super active.

They step too often on the most of the corals I have, causing them to retract and close.

They climb on the gorgonians making them fall on the sand, they go on the Sarcophyton making the tentacles retract and most of all, they hang hours on my lobophyllia. I had enought when I saw one of them pinching the red tissue of the Lobo and this morning part of the tissue were lost.

I'm very sad because these two are interesting, never boring and always do funny things. They moulted 4-5 times in 3 months and have grown a lot. They change shells often and in 3 months have only killed one Money Cowrie.

Long story short, beautiful inverts but they can't coexist in my mixed reef; probably 32 gallons tank is too small and they are too curious to not knok on my corals.

I'll miss Benny & Gerry :smiling-face-with-tear:

IMG_1182.jpg
IMG_1183.jpg

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, I wanna share my experience with hermits. I have two beautiful blue hermit crabs but sadly, I decided to bring them back next week.

My tank is stock with corals and my hermits are super active.

They step too often on the most of the corals I have, causing them to retract and close.

They climb on the gorgonians making them fall on the sand, they go on the Sarcophyton making the tentacles retract and most of all, they hang hours on my lobophyllia. I had enought when I saw one of them pinching the red tissue of the Lobo and this morning part of the tissue were lost.

I'm very sad because these two are interesting, never boring and always do funny things. They moulted 4-5 times in 3 months and have grown a lot. They change shells often and in 3 months have only killed one Money Cowrie.

Long story short, beautiful inverts but they can't coexist in my mixed reef; probably 32 gallons tank is too small and they are too curious to not knok on my corals.

I'll miss Benny & Gerry :smiling-face-with-tear:

IMG_1182.jpg
IMG_1183.jpg
I would invest in some red and blue legged dwarf hermits. They stay small, use cerith snails shells, and are good savagers. Not as pretty as the electric blues you have returned but I’ve had them in my tank for almost 2 1/2 years without any problems.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 70 75.3%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 11.8%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 7 7.5%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back