Blue Hippo Question

NewReefAdventure

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi. We recently added a juvenile blue hippo to our 108 display tank. He has been keeping to the upper left corner of the tank - only really swimming up and down the corner and a little to the side. Today is only day 4 but I'm surprised he isn't more adventurous. I understand they're generally rather active so I want to be sure this is normal when getting used to the tank??

The scopas was the one I was nervous of and he hasn't been over to that corner much at all. There is also a foxface, 2 clowns, 3 banggai cardinals, a watchman goby, pincushion, skunk shrimp, a tiger pistol shrimp, and a ruby crab (along with snails and hermits). I haven't seen anyone chase him. The one cardinal that is kind of odd man out has hung out in the lower part of that corner some, but that's really the only interaction I've seen.

I added a little rock to that side when he went in to change things just a little. The scopas goes through the rocks on that side occasionally so I thought a small change may help with possible territory issues.

He has picked at food and swims a little further out to get it. I hope I'm being overly concerned but figured I'd ask. Is he just super cautious/shy like the foxface? Or is the behavior indicative of an issue?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hi. We recently added a juvenile blue hippo to our 108 display tank. He has been keeping to the upper left corner of the tank - only really swimming up and down the corner and a little to the side. Today is only day 4 but I'm surprised he isn't more adventurous. I understand they're generally rather active so I want to be sure this is normal when getting used to the tank??

The scopas was the one I was nervous of and he hasn't been over to that corner much at all. There is also a foxface, 2 clowns, 3 banggai cardinals, a watchman goby, pincushion, skunk shrimp, a tiger pistol shrimp, and a ruby crab (along with snails and hermits). I haven't seen anyone chase him. The one cardinal that is kind of odd man out has hung out in the lower part of that corner some, but that's really the only interaction I've seen.

I added a little rock to that side when he went in to change things just a little. The scopas goes through the rocks on that side occasionally so I thought a small change may help with possible territory issues.

He has picked at food and swims a little further out to get it. I hope I'm being overly concerned but figured I'd ask. Is he just super cautious/shy like the foxface? Or is the behavior indicative of an issue?
They’re bashful at first and ofte n follow their reflection in a new tank and hide within rocks
It should come out of corner when food is introduced
Assure the skin is clear and not that it’s swimming into the flow for relief

OP
OP
NewReefAdventure

NewReefAdventure

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They’re bashful at first and ofte n follow their reflection in a new tank and hide within rocks
It should come out of corner when food is introduced
Assure the skin is clear and not that it’s swimming into the flow for relief
Awh he could certainly be following his reflection. Good to know, thank you. Skin looks fine though I've tried not to stare too much figuring I may stress him.

Back