Blue Hippo Tang Diagnosis Help

  • Thread starter Thread starter Blakjax
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Blakjax

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Dec 2, 2019
Messages
298
Reaction score
31
Location
Saint Joseph, Michigan
What state or country do you live in
Michigan
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two fish in a fresh tank for observation after being in copper for 30 days. 1 brown powder and 1 blue hippo. After day 7 in a fresh tank (no copper) with prazi the hippo is showing a white spot. I’m wondering if this is lympho or does it have ich? It’s eating well on food treated with selco. I was hoping to move to DT after day 14. But now I’m worried that I may need to redo copper treatment.
EA58B67D-713F-4ECB-A023-F42D4B9F9054.jpeg
2B316D5D-FD6D-4BD2-8F22-2B72D5186204.jpeg CEAC5BAD-08F5-41E3-996A-19E79D1043B3.jpeg E07512EE-33FD-4A46-A76E-00977E7AC474.jpeg
 
Unfortunately it does look like it to me. What kind of copper are you using and how are you testing for copper? When you say fresh tank do you me you have 2 different QT tanks setup?
 
Unfortunately it does look like it to me. What kind of copper are you using and how are you testing for copper? When you say fresh tank do you me you have 2 different QT tanks setup?
I used cupermine. Checking with Hannah checker. I did do water changes and I fear that the copper level may have dropped during. But it would have only been for a few minutes. Now I know I should have dosed then clean water before adding. Yes I am using two different tanks.
 
This may be a viral condition that is kinda common with Hippo Tangs. It usually presents after a Hippo has gone through copper treatment. The spots can be either white with strings looking tail or bumps that are usually seen as ich/velvet spots. Here's a thread that may help: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/rescue-hippo-tang-with-spots.695787/#post-7158623
That makes me feel better. I’m treating with metro now. She seems very healthy but the scratching and the white spot had me worried. And it only came a few days after being removed from copper. How long should I keep her under observation before I move her to DT? I definitely do not want ich in my 220. I will never be able to catch her once she’s in there.
 
14 days of observation should give you a better idea if it is the viral or bacterial condition.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 3 4.5%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 18 26.9%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 19 28.4%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 9 13.4%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 1 1.5%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 2 3.0%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 4 6.0%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 7 10.4%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 4 6.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new