BLUE HIPPO TANG health condition

LAA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone!
about a month ago my blue hippo tang began to show abnormal behavior. She was laying on her side at the bottom of the tank on a colony of zoas. I set up a quarantine tank, and moved her in once it was cycled (used pre cycled media and water from her current tank). Water parameters are fine in both. Soon after moving her she became a pale white and wasn’t moving at all, I thought all hope was lost. I dossed the QT with copper safe, a week later she began to regain her color and eat a little. Now she has her full coloring again but is still not her normal self. It has been a month. She is still in QT as she is laying on her side all the time, and has difficulty swimming. She will eat now but I am wondering what I can do to help her swim normally again and allow her to rejoin her freinds.

sc50964

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What’s the level of copper in the QT?

Ammonia, ph, salinity and temp?

A pic of the tank and fish will help

OP
OP
LAA

LAA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What’s the level of copper in the QT?

Ammonia, ph, salinity and temp?

A pic of the tank and fish will help
I stopped dosing copper after she regained color.
Ammonia is 0
Ph is 7.9
Salinity is 1.025
I have been keeping the temp at room temp as I read it helps them when sick. So it is 74

Attachments

• 54197A96-A9FE-4E2E-8136-26F61602DF5E.jpeg
    54197A96-A9FE-4E2E-8136-26F61602DF5E.jpeg
    73.3 KB · Views: 42

sc50964

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ammonia is 0
Ph is 7.9
Salinity is 1.025
I have been keeping the temp at room temp as I read it helps them when sick. So it is 74
Is there anything in this tank? A PVC, anything for her to hide? A picture of your DT is also needed. It is not unusual for hippo to lay down but it is unusual if it stays down and not swim around. Also need to know what symptoms other than laying down in your DT were there that made you decide to use copper? BTW, any time you use copper, you need to use a Hanna test unit to measure.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Hello everyone!
about a month ago my blue hippo tang began to show abnormal behavior. She was laying on her side at the bottom of the tank on a colony of zoas. I set up a quarantine tank, and moved her in once it was cycled (used pre cycled media and water from her current tank). Water parameters are fine in both. Soon after moving her she became a pale white and wasn’t moving at all, I thought all hope was lost. I dossed the QT with copper safe, a week later she began to regain her color and eat a little. Now she has her full coloring again but is still not her normal self. It has been a month. She is still in QT as she is laying on her side all the time, and has difficulty swimming. She will eat now but I am wondering what I can do to help her swim normally again and allow her to rejoin her freinds.
Laying on its side is a trait of hepatus tangs but there may be more to it. Please post video under white intensity of fish.
Is breathing normal or labored?
Any scratching or darting in the tank?
You added copper or coppersafe and at what level and for how long?

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Ammonia is 0
Ph is 7.9
Salinity is 1.025
Copper or coppersafe?
if it responded to copper, it may have had a condition but you want to run it at least 21 days as any tromonts and cysts can fall off and come right back why you want continuous treatment. 74 deg too cold as you want at least 77-79

OP
OP
LAA

LAA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Laying on its side is a trait of hepatus tangs but there may be more to it. Please post video under white intensity of fish.
Is breathing normal or labored?
Any scratching or darting in the tank?
You added copper or coppersafe and at what level and for how long?
I know laying on side is normal but I have never witnessed this before with her. She was on her side and heavy breathing which is what made me move her. She had what looked like ick on her which is why I used copper.

Now her breathing is normal and color returned. No signs of ick. But she doesn’t swim around , and when she does, she struggles and swims on her side and slow. She seems almost stressed when she swims. She now only moves when there is food. Otherwise she just lays on her side all day next to an air stone.

OP
OP
LAA

LAA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know laying on side is normal but I have never witnessed this before with her. She was on her side and heavy breathing which is what made me move her. She had what looked like ick on her which is why I used copper.

Now her breathing is normal and color returned. No signs of ick. But she doesn’t swim around , and when she does, she struggles and swims on her side and slow. She seems almost stressed when she swims. She now only moves when there is food. Otherwise she just lays on her side all day next to an air stone.
I am currently not home and will post a video as soon as possible.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0

Does not appear thin. Is there tubes or rocks structure for fish to hide in?

OP
OP
LAA

LAA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does not appear thin. Is there tubes or rocks structure for fish to hide in?
No she doesn’t appear thin, she was when I moved her, now she is nice and plump again. Aside from the swimming and laying on side she is normal. Maybe something with the swim bladder?
There is a rock to hide behind, and the lighting is generally low on the tank.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 101 75.4%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.2%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.0%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back