Blue hippo tang looking rough

To(meany)Tang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone I have a new 1 inch hippo tang in my qt tank along with 6 other fish.. the first 2 days the hippo showed what looked to big to be ich I was thinking maybe fluke or bacterial...it faded but never really went away 4days later and I found him this morning looking really rough it's like there's one dot on each tip of the fin and his body is beat up from wedging in the rock's so I don't know how to diagnose this.. all the other fish are in perfect condition and happy no signs of anything.. any idea what it could be. I'll add pictures and video below. Thank you for taking the time to read.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hey everyone I have a new 1 inch hippo tang in my qt tank along with 6 other fish.. the first 2 days the hippo showed what looked to big to be ich I was thinking maybe fluke or bacterial...it faded but never really went away 4days later and I found him this morning looking really rough it's like there's one dot on each tip of the fin and his body is beat up from wedging in the rock's so I don't know how to diagnose this.. all the other fish are in perfect condition and happy no signs of anything.. any idea what it could be. I'll add pictures and video below. Thank you for taking the time to read.
This is when you have to react right away as most ailments continue to develop than improve. Assure pics under white lighting for best clarity

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
HI - it would be great if you could post a picture - under white light. I think I understand that you were saying the fish arrived with 'something' or it came on suddenly - based on your (great) description it sounds like lymphocystis - and there may be a secondary problem since Lymphocystis does not cause the fish many/any symptoms.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
@vetteguy53081 posted while I was writing - but in any case - It seems like at least possible lymphocystis - and probably something else - unfortunately - I cannot view your video. I do not believe that Melafix is an adequate treatment/quarantine protocol.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
No copper or medicine...only 1 dose of melafix 2 days ago
Based on size of dots and its behavior with scratching, It appears to be Neobenedenia flukes which are the larger egg-laying worms which live on both the skin and eyes of given fish. The twitching/scratching you see is fish trying to dislodge the irritation from them.
Note that Melafix is rendered useless in seawater as it is merely a tonic made from Teak Tree oil and will not work. Treatment prefereably in quarantine will be PraziPro which is Praziquantel. Dose one time for an 8 day period at 90% of bottle recommendation, do a good water change and dose one more time for 8 day period.
Remove carbon and add air stone for added oxygen as Prazi will lower both oxygen and appetite

OP
OP
To(meany)Tang

To(meany)Tang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Attachments

• 20230109_130959.jpg
    20230109_130959.jpg
    178.9 KB · Views: 47

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
OP
OP
To(meany)Tang

To(meany)Tang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HI - it would be great if you could post a picture - under white light. I think I understand that you were saying the fish arrived with 'something' or it came on suddenly - based on your (great) description it sounds like lymphocystis - and there may be a secondary problem since Lymphocystis does not cause the fish many/any symptoms.
I just posted pics and videos below if you could please look:)

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks for the picture - I do not see anything concerning - BUT - the picture is kind of distant - In this picture the fish does not look 'rough' to me - but like I said - I can't see the video. Since I can't see what you're describing I'll let my colleague go forward. Hope everything goes well

OP
OP
To(meany)Tang

To(meany)Tang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just posted pics and videos below if you could please look
Scratches on lower body is from the worms irritating the fish and will heal up during treatment
Thank you I have posted better pics now

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I just posted pics and videos below if you could please look:)
Sorry - we're all cross posting. The pictures I see (like I said I can't see the video) - do not suggest a major issue - and to me the fish does not look like its in rough shape in the pictures. i.e. its not lying on the ground etc. So as not to have 2 people giving you simultaneous information - I will defer to @vetteguy53081 IF there is an illness - it is of course extremely important to plan treatment sooner than later and I don't want to step in between that issue.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
FYI - for the best coverage - when posting a video - use YouTube - and post a link

OP
OP
To(meany)Tang

To(meany)Tang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the picture - I do not see anything concerning - BUT - the picture is kind of distant - In this picture the fish does not look 'rough' to me - but like I said - I can't see the video. Since I can't see what you're describing I'll let my colleague go forward. Hope everything goes well
At the tip of the top fin the black area..there was only 1 dot and now 6 days later there's more dots but they aren't going away

OP
OP
To(meany)Tang

To(meany)Tang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry - we're all cross posting. The pictures I see (like I said I can't see the video) - do not suggest a major issue - and to me the fish does not look like its in rough shape in the pictures. i.e. its not lying on the ground etc. So as not to have 2 people giving you simultaneous information - I will defer to @vetteguy53081 IF there is an illness - it is of course extremely important to plan treatment sooner than later and I don't want to step in between that issue.
Highly noted thank you so much for your advice!! Truly grateful

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
OK - so in my English dialect - lol - looking rough means near death. :). In this case I see what you mean.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The Tang actually to my view - without the video - looks ok. These young tangs that people purchase to me. - if you get them to survive all good but - in fact some do not for multiple reasons.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 19.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 13 16.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 39 50.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 10.3%
Back