blue hippo tang with ich or velvet

kraftyyz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm on day 10 of tank transfer method and the blue tang still has 2 white spots on one side of its body. The other side has cleared up from the white spots and it looks like the wound has healed. Can ich or velvet be on the fish as a white spot for over 7 days? The white spots are very small and fine like it was poked with the tip of a needle. No other fish is showing this

EmdeReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d rule out velvet as by day 10 you’d be seeing lots of small spots (assuming the fish could fight it off that long), plus TTM doesn’t help.

Hard to say without pictures what’s going on, could be other things. Generally you’d expect more than 2 spots with ich.
What prompted you to treat for ich?

Last edited:

deedubz

nuttier than a squirrel turd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It may or may not be worth noting that bacterial infections often times follow/accompany parasites. I'm actually treating 2 qts post ttm with kanaplex because I believe 2/8 of the fish have an infection. In @Humblefish bacterial infection writeup he mentions that some present themselves similarly to ich/velvet...in that it starts with a couple white dots. I'm sure an expert will chime in

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep an eye on those dots to see if they grow rapidly. Often Lymphocystis starts out with small Ich like spots and then grows quickly. The stress on some fish during TTM is a bit much for their immune systems. Lympho being a virus carried by lots of fish can suddenly pop up under those conditions.

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/lymphocystis.257461/#post-3043397

OP
OP
K

kraftyyz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really can't get a good picture with the iphone camera. I will do my next transfer tomorrow so, with new clear water i might get a better picture.
IMG_2171.JPG
IMG_2093.JPG
IMG_1994.JPG

OP
OP
K

kraftyyz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d rule out velvet as by day 10 you’d be seeing lots of small spots (assuming the fish could fight it off that long), plus TTM doesn’t help.

Hard to say without pictures what’s going on, could be other things. Generally you’d expect more than 2 spots with ich.
What prompted you to treat for ich?
I got ich 5 months ago. Didn't quarantined all the fish I got. So after a month from getting my first fish the ich outbreak was really bad. Treated them with cupramine for 2 months but, it didn't work because I have a wrasse that sleeps in the sad so, the copper level kept dropping. Now I'm doing the tank transfer method which seems to be working but, it's just those tiny white spots that won't disappear on one fish.

OP
OP
K

kraftyyz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pictures would definitely be helpful.
Are there any symptoms to go along with the spots?
No. I was treating with cupramine before tank transfer method and the blue tang would act erratic. Now during tank transfer method the blue tang is a lot more calm and just swims like a normal blue tang.

OP
OP
K

kraftyyz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New white spot on the blue tang and its on the other side of its body. Did I mess up tank transfer method? Because I have to put the fish in a 5 gallon bucket with the water, heater, and air stone from the tank in use, while I set up the new clean tank. Did ich manage to get on the fish while in the 5 gallon bucket? This is a huge bummer I can't get rid of ich.

I use vinegar on all the equipment (heater, pvc, tank) and I dry them out in the sun for almost 3 days. I use new airstones and airline tubing

Last edited:

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank Transfer Method: Treats Ich (Cryptocaryon irritans) only.

How To Treat - Tank transfer (TTM) is probably one of the most underused and underappreciated resources in our hobby. To properly execute TTM you need two tanks (or buckets), with dedicated equipment for each tank (not to be shared between the two). I personally use 2 of the 10 gallon tanks to do TTM, each with its own heater, thermometer, air stone, airline tubing and PVC elbows for hiding places. This is how TTM is implemented:
  • Day 1 - Fish is placed in initial QT.
  • Day 4 - Roughly 72 hours later transfer the fish to new tank. The time of day you do the transfer is unimportant, but never exceed 72 hours from the last transfer. The temperature and SG of the new tank should match the old one perfectly, so you can just catch & release (no acclimation). Transfer as little water as possible with the fish.
  • Day 7 - Repeat.
  • Day 10 - Repeat.
  • Day 13 - Repeat and done (fish should now be ich free).
After transferring, immediately sanitize the "old tank" and all equipment using bleach or vinegar. Rinse well. Let air dry thoroughly before next use. The air drying is the sterilization process when using vinegar, or detoxification process when using bleach.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New white spot on the blue tang and its on the other side of its body. Did I mess up tank transfer method? Because I have to put the fish in a 5 gallon bucket with the water, heater, and air stone from the tank in use, while I set up the new clean tank. Did ich manage to get on the fish while in the 5 gallon bucket? This is a huge bummer I can't get rid of ich.

I use vinegar on all the equipment (heater, pvc, tank) and I dry them out in the sun for almost 3 days. I use new airstones and airline tubing
I’ve messed up TTM many times, I gave up. I have so many quarantines and equipment and soaking in vinegar my fish got ich again two different times. I’ve also killed fish due to ammonia during TTM on a couple occasions. I’m not a fan at all. I’d use copper power in a QT

OP
OP
K

kraftyyz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve messed up TTM many times, I gave up. I have so many quarantines and equipment and soaking in vinegar my fish got ich again two different times. I’ve also killed fish due to ammonia during TTM on a couple occasions. I’m not a fan at all. I’d use copper power in a QT
Yes, too much water going to waste. How did you treat your wrasse with copper? Did you use sand for them?

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 74 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 71 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 9.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%

Back