Blue Hippo Tang with Ich?

eliaslikesfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! I have a baby blue hippo tang (about 2 inches in length) that I got about a week ago, let me start by saying that she seems to be doing really well, swimming around all day (until someone walks by the tank, she’ll hide but then come right back out after you leave) eating great, in fact she’ll steal food from my clown’s mouth if the clown got a big piece of the frozen brine shrimp. Anyways I woke up this morning to find a couple very small white dots. I’ve attached pictures as a reference. I’ve never dealt with ich before and am wondering 1. if it is indeed ich. and 2. what is the best way of treating without killing my cleaner shrimp in the process?

note: I am aware blue tang’s are prone to ich.

Thank you all in advance!
IMG_3127.jpeg
IMG_3131.jpeg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! I have a baby blue hippo tang (about 2 inches in length) that I got about a week ago, let me start by saying that she seems to be doing really well, swimming around all day (until someone walks by the tank, she’ll hide but then come right back out after you leave) eating great, in fact she’ll steal food from my clown’s mouth if the clown got a big piece of the frozen brine shrimp. Anyways I woke up this morning to find a couple very small white dots. I’ve attached pictures as a reference. I’ve never dealt with ich before and am wondering 1. if it is indeed ich. and 2. what is the best way of treating without killing my cleaner shrimp in the process?

note: I am aware blue tang’s are prone to ich.

Thank you all in advance!
IMG_3127.jpeg
IMG_3131.jpeg

It could be ich, or it could be mucus plugs that this species is known for. You need to hope for the best, but prepare for the worst:

First thing, you'll have a couple of days to confirm that this is ich or not. Watch the exact location of these three spots. If they go away in a day or two and new ones appear in different locations, it is probably ich. If the numbers increase, you'll need to treat all of the fish in the tank - so prepare for that. If the tank has invertebrates in it, you'll need a treatment tank that can hold all of the fish - and then treat them there with coppersafe. If you tank does not have any invertebrates in it, or if you can move them out, you can treat the tank with hyposalinity.

Jay

OP
OP
eliaslikesfish

eliaslikesfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It could be ich, or it could be mucus plugs that this species is known for. You need to hope for the best, but prepare for the worst:

First thing, you'll have a couple of days to confirm that this is ich or not. Watch the exact location of these three spots. If they go away in a day or two and new ones appear in different locations, it is probably ich. If the numbers increase, you'll need to treat all of the fish in the tank - so prepare for that. If the tank has invertebrates in it, you'll need a treatment tank that can hold all of the fish - and then treat them there with coppersafe. If you tank does not have any invertebrates in it, or if you can move them out, you can treat the tank with hyposalinity.

Jay
Hi Jay!

Thank you for the quick response, the day after i took those pictures the white spots were gone and don’t seem to have returned. Since then she seems great, swimming around all day and eating like a champ still but I did notice this morning that she went down to the bottom so my cleaner shrimp could clean her (assumed that is perfectly normal) but then she seemed to rub herself on a rock afterwards.

I know whenever a fish is rubbing it usually means they’re trying to get rid of a parasite.. I’m just confused because she seems to be doing great and not acting stressed out at all. Not even hiding when I come close to the tank anymore..

Thanks again in advance,
Elias

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Jay!

Thank you for the quick response, the day after i took those pictures the white spots were gone and don’t seem to have returned. Since then she seems great, swimming around all day and eating like a champ still but I did notice this morning that she went down to the bottom so my cleaner shrimp could clean her (assumed that is perfectly normal) but then she seemed to rub herself on a rock afterwards.

I know whenever a fish is rubbing it usually means they’re trying to get rid of a parasite.. I’m just confused because she seems to be doing great and not acting stressed out at all. Not even hiding when I come close to the tank anymore..

Thanks again in advance,
Elias
Scratching and posturing for cleaner shrimp are both symptoms of external parasites, most often flukes. Flukes don’t kill fish quickly, so you could observe for a few more days to see if these symptoms get worse or better. If you do decide to treat for flukes, you can use Prazipro, dosed twice, 8 days apart with good aeration. Turn off any UV, and run your skimmer, but don’t collect any skimmate during the treatment.
Jay

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back