Blue Hippo Tang with ich

Jack biocube 32

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright well two or maybe three weeks ago I added a baby blue hippo tang to my tank. He went through a week of just copper and then 2 rounds prazi pro while in QT. Then I added him to my display tank he ate like pig and acted and looked healthy until today. He is still active and pigging out but it looks like he had a breakout of ich. Not sure how he got it since all other fish went through the same treatment and my parameters are nitrate 1 ammonia 0 salinity 1.024 temp 76-77 F. I also do a 20 percent water change every week. Anyway I’m not sure what to do as treatment because from what I read you are supposed to treat all fish with copper and let your display run fallow for 6-9 weeks but I only have a 10 gallon qt tank and I have a damsel, a royal gramma, a flame hawk fish, a lightning maroon clown and a blue hippo tang. Could I keep all these fish together in 10 gal for 6-9 weeks? I’m on a budget so I can’t exactly upgrade my qt tank. Are there any other ways to treat an ich out break?

E5F140D4-72A0-4854-88AF-0CE32340E200.jpeg 15823593-608C-4FBA-9192-C4BA187EAFF6.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Pics a little too blue to see any ich. If youre referring to belly- May be sand.
With ic, there is generally heavy breathing, loss of appetite, itching/twithching and lethargic. This guy nice and fat

OP
OP
Jack biocube 32

Jack biocube 32

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok thank you and I apologize for the pic quality. Even if that was sand there’s also two other problems that are hard to see in the pic he looks a little glossy or waxy he also has a few “hairs” or like weird spikes on his dorsal fin I will try to get some better pictures

Backreefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are the kings of ick . I stead clear of those tangs . But good luck with him , good that he is eating.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright well two or maybe three weeks ago I added a baby blue hippo tang to my tank. He went through a week of just copper and then 2 rounds prazi pro while in QT. Then I added him to my display tank he ate like pig and acted and looked healthy until today. He is still active and pigging out but it looks like he had a breakout of ich. Not sure how he got it since all other fish went through the same treatment and my parameters are nitrate 1 ammonia 0 salinity 1.024 temp 76-77 F. I also do a 20 percent water change every week. Anyway I’m not sure what to do as treatment because from what I read you are supposed to treat all fish with copper and let your display run fallow for 6-9 weeks but I only have a 10 gallon qt tank and I have a damsel, a royal gramma, a flame hawk fish, a lightning maroon clown and a blue hippo tang. Could I keep all these fish together in 10 gal for 6-9 weeks? I’m on a budget so I can’t exactly upgrade my qt tank. Are there any other ways to treat an ich out break?

E5F140D4-72A0-4854-88AF-0CE32340E200.jpeg 15823593-608C-4FBA-9192-C4BA187EAFF6.jpeg
I can't definitively see ich on this fish, one way to tell is to watch the spots - if they come and go in different locations, and change in relative numbers over a few days, then it could be ich.

One week of copper isn't long enough to really control ich. Some people go 14 days, but I always advocate for 30 days, just to be safe.

Jay Hemdal

kzenoni

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a few tangs but the hippo seems to get it the quickest. Installed a UV light in my sump and have seen no signs of ich since doing that.

OP
OP
Jack biocube 32

Jack biocube 32

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The spot the tang do not move they stay in the same exact spot which I found a bit odd. I started feeding dried seaweed in audition to my frozen food that contains seaweed and algae. His glossy or waxy look on him have gone away so have the odd “hairs” on his fin but the spots remain. Could this just be an outbreak of something minor due to stress?

Elliott ll

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently am in the middle of treating an Ich outbreak caused by purchasing and not QTing a Blue Hippo Tang from my LFS. I tried Ich management with oversized UV sterilizer and MANY different "reef safe" medicines. None of them work. Save yourself the time and save your other fish from pain, like I unfortunately did not at first... I am now so thankful I did a QT and am treating with Copper Power. It's the only way to do it really... Do 30 days of copper and 14 days of prazipro. You only need like 50 days with DT fishless if at 80-81 degrees. Good luck and don't choose Ich Management...

PS I have several "copper sensitive" fish and with Copper Power at 2.25ppm see no negative signs yet. Treating 4 different wrasses and 2 different tangs along with few other fish.

Jezzess77

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could always try the tank transfer method and use plastic tubs from a hardware store but I would recommend copper above all else and you definitely need to treat copper for longer than a week, that's most likely why it would have got in your display, I would recommend 30 days but some people will do 14 days but if the fish seem to be okay I'd just do 30, the longer the better. You could try ich management but that's very stressful on you and the fish, especially with a blue tang, they're ich magnets and if even the slightest thing stresses them out your gonna have an out break. If you could get your hands on a slightly bigger tank I would quarantine them In that but keep in mind even after the copper treatment you'll have to leave the tank fallow. When I had my outbreak I left mine fallow for 72 days but some people will say 6 weeks is enough, I just like to be sure. If you can't get a bigger tank then try the 10 gal and if the fish start freaking out just put them back in the display and go from there. Hope this helps and good luck.

jmichaelh7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
Like other members mentioned … king of ich . Sorry for your situation. I literally got rid of my dory because of ich.

if you don’t want any casualties pull them out and run quarantine for 30 days . Run fallow display tank. I was advised to do so and day 1 began yesterday. It’s a lot of money to get everything started if your not invested in quarantine tank setups yet. But if you want to be successful you have to bro, I lost my first fish in the hobby a month ago to ich

Borg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I quarantined my hippo for over a month.

The higher electric bill was worth it.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 38.2%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 64 33.5%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.1%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back