Blue Jaw Trigger

Rmfgator

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was sold a pair of blue jaw triggers male/female, they looked right male had all the color markings female had none. Now the female is staring to color up, tail has yellow color and marking under the jaw is starting to show. It appears I was sold 2 males one was probably just younger/less developed? They were about the same size? Is it true males are colorful and females more plain? Do they switch sex?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I was sold a pair of blue jaw triggers male/female, they looked right male had all the color markings female had none. Now the female is staring to color up, tail has yellow color and marking under the jaw is starting to show. It appears I was sold 2 males one was probably just younger/less developed? They were about the same size? Is it true males are colorful and females more plain? Do they switch sex?
Pics under white lighting would be helpful in helping determine what you have.
female has some yellow as shown below

1649001744703.png

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Rmfgator

Rmfgator

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I took a couple quick picks sorry not full white! The male has all the coloring and the female pictured at bottom had none but now tail has some color in the tail and I think it's developing the lipstick markings under the mouth? Thanks for the help!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Rmfgator

Rmfgator

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
love the fish, model citizens would not really care if I had 2 males but just wondering if there will be any aggression issues in the future so far no issue!

Upvote 0

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Smaller specimens are harder to sex. It's very possible that you have 2 males. I don't think triggers change sex

Upvote 0

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To me it looks like you have two different triggers but rather hard to see without totally white photos - I say it looks like two different triggers due to the tail looking more red on the female/juvenile than it does on the male.

Upvote 0

Gp!

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To me it looks like you have two different triggers but rather hard to see without totally white photos - I say it looks like two different triggers due to the tail looking more red on the female/juvenile than it does on the male.

Good chance he has two different triggers :p

Upvote 0

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If they are less than about 4.5" there is a chance you have 2 males, there will be high aggression between 2 males. Perhaps in a very large tank, larger than 300g, it may work out, anything smaller, usually not. The female does get a rust color on their tail, not yellow and no blue beard.

Upvote 0

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 84 87.5%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 6.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.1%
Back