Blue leg hermit 10 gallon

HiggsUSA

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have coral, does this change anything? Or nah? I’m using this as my only cleaning crew
I've got 5 corals and I'll probably round the tank off with 10-12 different species. I personally don't think it should matter. To give you some idea of stocking I have two clowns, I'll be introducing a Firefish, and depending on how well the tank matures I'll look to add a Springeri Damsel later on.

WalkerLoves_TheOcean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The hermits might irritate the corals, by crawling on them, just a heads up. You should be good with 4 or 5, but I would add some snails, and other parts of a CUC, it's better to have a variety IMO.

HiggsUSA

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The hermits might irritate the corals, by crawling on them, just a heads up. You should be good with 4 or 5, but I would add some snails, and other parts of a CUC, it's better to have a variety IMO.
They constantly tick off my birdsnest and toadstool. ;)

WalkerLoves_TheOcean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should have ZERO hermit crabs. Especially if you are going to have snails.
Not really. Yes, there are some snails that the hermits can go after, but there are tons of other options that the shell just won't work for hermits. As long as you have shells in the tank for the hermits to go into, you should be fine.

SomeHappyFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are BFF
1000006074.jpg

HiggsUSA

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
do you have a link to these shells? Would be much appreciated :)!
Sure do!

Nature Forged Aquatics Reef Hermit Crab Shell Mix Spare Shells for Most Saltwater Hermit Crabs 12 OZ 1/2" - 2" Shells​

Shells

I just dropped like, 3 of each size in. I personally don't mind having a bunch of empty shells in there because it's fun watching them hop homes and it reminds me of the beach.

OP
OP
M

Melvin3000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sure do!

Nature Forged Aquatics Reef Hermit Crab Shell Mix Spare Shells for Most Saltwater Hermit Crabs 12 OZ 1/2" - 2" Shells​

Shells

I just dropped like, 3 of each size in. I personally don't mind having a bunch of empty shells in there because it's fun watching them hop homes and it reminds me of the beach.
Thank you sm! Also do you think they’ll eat the mysis that some of my corals drop when eating? Do they eat detritus? Or mainly just algae?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back