Blue line grouper having circles

HAAAAAAAA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My grouper has been rubbing himself against the rocks and he has some weird whitish circles which I've never seen before, if I had to compare it looks like hole in the head but i don't know exactly if i should be concerned

IMG_20240112_072803.jpg

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
My grouper has been rubbing himself against the rocks and he has some weird whitish circles which I've never seen before, if I had to compare it looks like hole in the head but i don't know exactly if i should be concerned

IMG_20240112_072803.jpg
Looks to be bacterial or even from some type of worm.
Is fish eating and breathing normal?
If so, I would suggest treating tank with praziPro which is praziquantel. To be safe , dose at 85% of recommended and apply initial dosage known as an interval for 8 days, do a water change and do one more 8 day dose interval
Use airstone with prazi as it does reduce both oxygen and appetite. If running a skimmer, leave cup off first 24 hrs as skimmer will go nuts from the glycol solution in Prazi

OP
OP
H

HAAAAAAAA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks to be bacterial or even from some type of worm.
Is fish eating and breathing normal?
If so, I would suggest treating tank with praziPro which is praziquantel. To be safe , dose at 85% of recommended and apply initial dosage known as an interval for 8 days, do a water change and do one more 8 day dose interval
Use airstone with prazi as it does reduce both oxygen and appetite. If running a skimmer, leave cup off first 24 hrs as skimmer will go nuts from the glycol solution in Prazi
He is eating and breathing normally sometimes taking big breath's but I think that's usually what groupers do, I'll see if I can get prazi since it is quite expensive and not usually available for me, I also treated the tank with metronidazole since I could readily find them in tablet form dosing about 1400mg since my tank is 40 gallons about 10mg/liter, would also bumping up the temp work for him to breathe faster to take in the med?

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
He is eating and breathing normally sometimes taking big breath's but I think that's usually what groupers do, I'll see if I can get prazi since it is quite expensive and not usually available for me, I also treated the tank with metronidazole since I could readily find them in tablet form dosing about 1400mg since my tank is 40 gallons about 10mg/liter, would also bumping up the temp work for him to breathe faster to take in the med?
What country are you in?
Big gulps may be yawning associated also with flukes

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
India.

Oh I thought that yawnings were normal since my eel does it too Lol but I don't see any problems with the eel
Eel, that’s normal
For your country- water life myxazin will work like ruby rally pro

OP
OP
H

HAAAAAAAA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Eel, that’s normal
For your country- water life myxazin will work like ruby rally pro
Thank you so much, it's my first time hearing about that medicine, made it so much easier since i now know which medicines I should stock instead of methylene blue Lol

Though myxazin doesn't contain formalin like ruby rally pro is it still as effective?

Can I use it with the eel or do I need to separate the grouper?

Just ordered it and they said it would arrive in about 4 days, is there anyway to sustain the grouper for that long? Or should I use metronidazole as a food soak

Last edited:
OP
OP
H

HAAAAAAAA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll just continue to use metronidazole since that seemed to slow down the infection till I get my medicine

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll just continue to use metronidazole since that seemed to slow down the infection till I get my medicine
Metronidazole won’t work against flukes. In a fish only aquarium, you do have the option to run the tank at low salinity. Called hyposalinity, it is one of the best treatments for flukes. If this is head and lateral line erosion, that won’t help though.

Jay

OP
OP
H

HAAAAAAAA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Metronidazole won’t work against flukes. In a fish only aquarium, you do have the option to run the tank at low salinity. Called hyposalinity, it is one of the best treatments for flukes. If this is head and lateral line erosion, that won’t help though.

Jay
Thank you.

I guess I will just set up another tank and do just that since my eel is a sensitive species and there is prone to hunger strikes if I don't manage the salinity properly.

Or should I just do a freshwater dip?
Or is that a last resort?

I do remember using carbon in the tank but i discontinued it suspecting it mightve been lateral line erosion and did some water changes but it still wasn't resolved so I highly doubt that it's (HLLE)

Last edited:

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Thank you so much, it's my first time hearing about that medicine, made it so much easier since i now know which medicines I should stock instead of methylene blue Lol

Though myxazin doesn't contain formalin like ruby rally pro is it still as effective?

Can I use it with the eel or do I need to separate the grouper?

Just ordered it and they said it would arrive in about 4 days, is there anyway to sustain the grouper for that long? Or should I use metronidazole as a food soak
It has acriflavine which will help

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you.

I guess I will just set up another tank and do just that since my eel is a sensitive species and there is prone to hunger strikes if I don't manage the salinity properly.

Or should I just do a freshwater dip?
Or is that a last resort?

I do remember using carbon in the tank but i discontinued it suspecting it mightve been lateral line erosion and did some water changes but it still wasn't resolved so I highly doubt that it's (HLLE)

Freshwater dips works best as a diagnostic tool, putting the fish back into the same tank will just reinfect them. What eel(s) do you have? Most morays tolerate hypo fine.

Jay

OP
OP
H

HAAAAAAAA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Freshwater dips works best as a diagnostic tool, putting the fish back into the same tank will just reinfect them. What eel(s) do you have? Most morays tolerate hypo fine.

Jay
It's a gymnothorax dovii (fine spotted moray) there's not much information on him but hes a fangtooth and when I shifted tanks with him he just goes on an hunger strike for a week

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a gymnothorax dovii (fine spotted moray) there's not much information on him but hes a fangtooth and when I shifted tanks with him he just goes on an hunger strike for a week
I’ve never put one of those through hypo, but all gymnothorax morays handle hunger strikes well if they are in good body condition going in. I’ve had them strike for over four months and start back up again.

Jay

OP
OP
H

HAAAAAAAA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve never put one of those through hypo, but all gymnothorax morays handle hunger strikes well if they are in good body condition going in. I’ve had them strike for over four months and start back up again.

Jay
Ive not had many moray's since i am quite a bit new to saltwater the only ones I have kept is the tess which has rarely/never went on an hunger strike and this one which I think is a more sensitive species (fine spotted moray) since i only have more experience on a tessalata it worries me if a moray goes on an hunger strike for really long since there's information saying that if a fish goes through a hunger strike for too long they digest or take nutrients from the liver? Like for humans when they fast, the body takes fat deposits as glucose

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive not had many moray's since i am quite a bit new to saltwater the only ones I have kept is the tess which has rarely/never went on an hunger strike and this one which I think is a more sensitive species (fine spotted moray) since i only have more experience on a tessalata it worries me if a moray goes on an hunger strike for really long since there's information saying that if a fish goes through a hunger strike for too long they digest or take nutrients from the liver? Like for humans when they fast, the body takes fat deposits as glucose
Indeed, liver damage is a common result of starvation in fish. Eels are somehow different in that regard though - they routinely go through hunger strikes in captivity with no issues.
Jay

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back