Blue Maxima Clam

savetheocean

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi!

I would call this an emergency because I have a 3/4 inch blue Maxima Clam coming in the mail TOMORROW! First, I purchased a 4 inch one online but there was a shipping issue so I while I was re-ordering I saw this blue one and thought that one looked so much better and it was only 20 dollars more so I just bought it. While looking over the order I saw that it was 3/4 inches to 1 1/4 inches and I know how much harder those are to take care of and I have to spot feed. Can I feed this little clam reef roids or coral frenzy(They are powders so it would just filter feed it right)?

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a giant photosyntic clam. They became photosynthetic because they live in places of low particulate organics. Flat plains and pools that don't have the great migration every night and no upswells of dissolved arctic nutints.

Think about light imo.

OP
OP
savetheocean

savetheocean

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a giant photosyntic clam. They became photosynthetic because they live in places of low particulate organics. Flat plains and pools that don't have the great migration every night and no upswells of dissolved arctic nutints.

Think about light imo.
My lights not great. Current Orbit Marine (NOT PRO) I spot feed all my corals every other week just in case and I dose aqua vitro fuel but they are fine without all that stuff

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
^^^^^^ a yup.

What model orbit. With the lenses? How deep is the tank, and how long is it on for the day.

Do you have tall rocks?

It's a rock borer so you can make a cradle and set it high

OP
OP
savetheocean

savetheocean

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
^^^^^^ a yup.

What model orbit. With the lenses? How deep is the tank, and how long is it on for the day.

Do you have tall rocks?

It's a rock borer so you can make a cradle and set it high
Rocks are over half the height of the tank. It doesnt have lenses. 11 hours all day at 100%

When I research this topic, I see such mixed results. Ive have heard its awful and amazing (Both with proof)

bpinkstaff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi!

I would call this an emergency because I have a 3/4 inch blue Maxima Clam coming in the mail TOMORROW! First, I purchased a 4 inch one online but there was a shipping issue so I while I was re-ordering I saw this blue one and thought that one looked so much better and it was only 20 dollars more so I just bought it. While looking over the order I saw that it was 3/4 inches to 1 1/4 inches and I know how much harder those are to take care of and I have to spot feed. Can I feed this little clam reef roids or coral frenzy(They are powders so it would just filter feed it right)?

Do you have a pic of the tank?

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rocks are over half the height of the tank. It doesnt have lenses. 11 hours all day at 100%

When I research this topic, I see such mixed results. Ive have heard its awful and amazing (Both with proof)
I have that light. How high above the top of the rock is it.

And no. It's truly lacking for a maxima I'm afraid.

Have you seen the clam mounts? You'll need one or to make one out of rock.

Yuki Rihwa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With that light set you MUST place your Maxima at 6 inches below water line, higher place is always better until you upgrade your light.
From the PAR chart even at 6 inches below water line you only getting 120~150 par and you light set pretty much sit at the tank rim.

OP
OP
savetheocean

savetheocean

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have that light. How high above the top of the rock is it.

And no. It's truly lacking for a maxima I'm afraid.

Have you seen the clam mounts? You'll need one or to make one out of rock.
I have a little extra nice $150 LED in the sump IF needed. We will see how things turn out.

Lets say I upgrade, suggestions? It wouldnt be for like 2-3 months but I can make it that far, right?

Clam mounts, you mean just smaller pieces of rock I can place it on in the tank or something?

Sorry for it looking bad, I spooked them with the lights.

IMG_2586.JPG

OP
OP
savetheocean

savetheocean

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I FORGOT, the extra LED is submersible and can go anywhere.
Waterproof Full Spectrum LED Fixture - Tunze (I am hoping this will help)

Yuki Rihwa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look at your tank picture, the highest point in your tank pretty much 10~12 inches below water line, it's gonna be tough for your baby maxima. I have no experience about your waterproof led so I can not say anything about it. Also, how old is your tank? Water look pretty cloudy though.

OP
OP
savetheocean

savetheocean

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look at your tank picture, the highest point in your tank pretty much 10~12 inches below water line, it's gonna be tough for your baby maxima. I have no experience about your waterproof led so I can not say anything about it. Also, how old is your tank? Water look pretty cloudy though.
Yeah I know, just cleaned the sump and it got pretty dirty pretty fast! Crystal clear yesterday. 7 months

OP
OP
savetheocean

savetheocean

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im worried for this little guy, which is why I will spot feed until I upgrade and use that extra light. Ive seen some pretty good nano tanks with that light, and if I can directly point the light at it I am sure that would help.

Yuki Rihwa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im worried for this little guy, which is why I will spot feed until I upgrade and use that extra light. Ive seen some pretty good nano tanks with that light, and if I can directly point the light at it I am sure that would help.
Yeah, that light is good for nano shallow tank or small tank, I got same light before and I got rid of it. Anyway, your clam will arrive soon so just keep an eyes on it and lets us know its status, we have alot of experiences clam keepers here and they will help you out if problem arise :p

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With that light set you MUST place your Maxima at 6 inches below water line, higher place is always better until you upgrade your light.
From the PAR chart even at 6 inches below water line you only getting 120~150 par and you light set pretty much sit at the tank rim.
Yup.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 34.1%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 20 24.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 7 8.5%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 6.1%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 20 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.4%
Back