Blue or Pro..... A G6 Question

Justdrew

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Need your thoughts on Blue vs Pro. Here's my situation. I have 3 XR15 G4 Pros right now. I have been running them for the past 5 years and they have been solid lights. However, as they age I have had to send 1 in for an led board replacement in the past year. I run the AB+ profile exclusively on a daily basis. I will turn the blues up higher, or exclusive blue sometimes when viewing. I do not prefer the look of my tank with anything whiter than AB+ or 20K.

I have 3 G4 pros and plan to replace 1 right now with the ultimate goal of adding a second G6 and reducing my total lights to 2 vs 3. For the time being the G6 will sit between the 2 G4 pros. I've never had the G5 so I haven't seen them next to the G4. It sounds like the G6 Blue would better suit me due to liking the AB+ spectrum for daily use. Give me your thoughts....

OP
OP
Justdrew

Justdrew

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Blue will wash out your fish, but that's just my opinion based on my experience.
Is the AB+ setting different looking on the blue vs the pro. I mainly worry about coral coloration and appearance. Fish are secondary for me.

Hurricane Aquatics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Everyone says the blue is too blue. That's not true, it's about a 14k look. The Pro is a lot of whites and if you prefer the metal Halide 10k look, then go with the pro.

Personally, I have both and I like the blue version.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the AB+ setting different looking on the blue vs the pro. I mainly worry about coral coloration and appearance. Fish are secondary for me.

There are pics and videos out there of the G5 pro vs blue. I would assume someone posted G6 comparisons.

This was the G5 AB+ - can see they look different, I would assume the G6 does as well.

1659577813535.png

Hellic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are pics and videos out there of the G5 pro vs blue. I would assume someone posted G6 comparisons.

This was the G5 AB+ - can see they look different, I would assume the G6 does as well.

1659577813535.png
Is this comparison accounting for the correct AB+ spectrum settings? For instance with the Pro you'll have the whites turned down, but on the Blue version all channels would be at 100% for the the AB+. Just looking for some clarity as im considering getting the G6 XR15

arcangelreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The AB+ program looks very different from radion blues to pro's. Honestly AB+ on the g5 blues is not a good look IMO.
I found the Pro to be much more visually appealing then the Blue in the AB+ program.
This is all on the G5 platform.

The g6 blues may be different as I see they have actually added more white diodes to the blue with an extra cool white diode and now 2 warm white which they did not have in the previous generation.

Hellic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The AB+ program looks very different from radion blues to pro's. Honestly AB+ on the g5 blues is not a good look IMO.
I found the Pro to be much more visually appealing then the Blue in the AB+ program.
This is all on the G5 platform.

The g6 blues may be different as I see they have actually added more white diodes to the blue with an extra cool white diode and now 2 warm white which they did not have in the previous generation.

Thats good to know. Yeah I always see the super blue color from the radion blues and it always seems to be different than the pro. I like the appearance of the AB+ just not sure it will look as good with the radion blues. But since I run AB+ normally, I feel Ill get the most punch out of the Radion blues. Thats why I really want to see a good side by side comparison photo with both G6 lights set correctly to AB+.

BluTang85

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
So I have the G5 pro and the G6 blues. For me the running the same program comparing the two lights under the AB+, the G6 blues have some crazy pop! The G5 pro just dont do it for me, havent been a fan since I purachased them, to white i guess. If I were in the market and buying something this expensive the G6 blues are worth every penny.

Here is a picture of the G6 Blues
1688396061076.png

Here is a picture of the G5 Pro
IMG_0981.jpeg

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A little blue heavy in the evening is fine, but I prefer a strong 10,000k
Most of the day. I like it to look like shallow water at high noon. 10-15 foot depth

Hot2na

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW : I am selling my g6 pro after only using 30 days ..I think the color sucks ! too blue ,even at all channels 100 pct ...even after playing with the white blue balance ..IMO ecotech really screwed up with the G 5 AND 6... I went and bought a couple used g4 here and there and couldn't be happier ! ..(I like a more white 10-12k look) and my anemones seem to prefer the white spectrum more... I wish ecotech would re - offer the G4's again...realizing that they have made a HUGE mistake ..Kinda like new coke and coke "classic" back in the day ..remember ?
and if you're listening ECOTECH : we won't needle you if you bring back the G4's !!

Back