blue ribbon eel and lionfish?

Ro Bow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
would a blue ribbon eel and lionfish kill eachother? I want a lionfish that would fit in a 75 gallon, and would not be able to eat large fish and a blue ribbon eel. Thanks

KingTideCorals

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
would a blue ribbon eel and lionfish kill eachother? I want a lionfish that would fit in a 75 gallon, and would not be able to eat large fish and a blue ribbon eel. Thanks
I don't believe they will kill one another, but one thing to know is ribbon eels can be hard to keep in captivity and get eating.. if you do then great!

Most the time its the game "if it fits in my mouth I eat it" game, but I feel size wise you should not have any huge issues! I do miss my old predator tank!

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The dwarf and medium bodied lions are good for a 75g but it is way too small for a blue ribbon. They get almost 3' and are very active, I strongly suggest at least a 6' tank, like a 125g minimum.

lefkonj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ribbon eels would require a larger tank and as folks have said can be tough to get to eat. The one I had years ago snacked on a really nice wrasse, never ate again.

OldSchool

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A late reply, but might help someone in the future.

The short answer is they will get along. The better answer is, if you are lucky enough to get a ribbon eel to eat, most lionfish will grab any food quicker and more aggressively. Some lionfish will over eat to their own demise while you would be trying to feed the ribbon eel. Ribbon eels are generally very hard to keep long term. I would recommend a snowflake moray eel and one or two lionfish depending on size. And introduce them into the tank at the same time. Fighting high nitrates in a predator tank is also common.
Hope this helps,
Doug

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 92 76.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 12.4%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.6%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back