Blue Ring stopped eating?

ZachDemitro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone I have a Annularis Angelfish or "Blue Ring" hes been in my tank for about 2-3 Month and he has suddenly just stopped eating. He was eating very well all the time. I got some newer fish and I dont see them ever picking or fighting with him He has no marks that I can see but i believe he is breathing heavier than he should be. I usually feed some coral plankton in the morning and mysis or spirulina later on in the day. I dont know if hes just in a mood or someone is bothering him at night or hes sick.. If any eyes or advice please.. I will be posting a video below.

OP
OP
Z

ZachDemitro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone I have a Annularis Angelfish or "Blue Ring" hes been in my tank for about 2-3 Month and he has suddenly just stopped eating. He was eating very well all the time. I got some newer fish and I dont see them ever picking or fighting with him He has no marks that I can see but i believe he is breathing heavier than he should be. I usually feed some coral plankton in the morning and mysis or spirulina later on in the day. I dont know if hes just in a mood or someone is bothering him at night or hes sick.. If any eyes or advice please.. I will be posting a video below.

Attachments

• IMG_2195.mov
    69.4 MB
OP
OP
Z

ZachDemitro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He's just sitting in this same place.. not moving he usually swims from one side of the tank to the other constantly.

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can’t see the video, but from the description of an established fish showing heavy breathing, not moving much, and not eating; it sounds like your fish may be sick - I’d guess internal parasites, but I’m not a disease expert.

How long has this behavior been going on? When were the new fish added, and were they QT’d? Are any other fish showing any issues?

#fishmedic

OP
OP
Z

ZachDemitro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can’t see the video, but from the description of an established fish showing heavy breathing, not moving much, and not eating; it sounds like your fish may be sick - I’d guess internal parasites, but I’m not a disease expert.

How long has this behavior been going on? When were the new fish added, and were they QT’d? Are any other fish showing any issues?

#fishmedic
The other fish have been in my display for two weeks. This just happened today I suppose. I don't think I've ever seen a fish get full and not eat. He's the only one I notice like this and I didn't quarantine because I do not have a QT tank. Idk if maybe he is stressed because he was the larger fish and now there's a new big guy in the tank. But there's absolutely no aggression at least during the day. Maybe after the lights go off but I see no marks. Hoping the video loads up

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hoping the video loads up
I can see that the video is uploaded on the site, but I can’t watch it on my phone (I’d need to download it on my computer) - a lot of people upload their videos to YouTube or a similar service, then link them here to avoid this issue.

OP
OP
Z

ZachDemitro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can see that the video is uploaded on the site, but I can’t watch it on my phone (I’d need to download it on my computer) - a lot of people upload their videos to YouTube or a similar service, then link them here to avoid this issue.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He's currently laying upside down breathing very hard. I guess he's a goner.

Sorry - I just woke up and am seeing this now. Given the species, the timeline and the way it looks, I would say there is a good likely hood that it has Neobendenia flukes. Once the fish turns upside down though, you typically cannot save them.

At this point, are there other fish in the tank? If so, you'll need to consider "damage control" to protect them. What I would do is give the angelfish a 5 minute freshwater dip. The fish may not survive that, but look in the container after the dip - if you see what appears to be fish scales lying on the bottom, that is Neobendenia flukes, and you will need to treat the whole tank.

Jay

OP
OP
Z

ZachDemitro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry - I just woke up and am seeing this now. Given the species, the timeline and the way it looks, I would say there is a good likely hood that it has Neobendenia flukes. Once the fish turns upside down though, you typically cannot save them.

At this point, are there other fish in the tank? If so, you'll need to consider "damage control" to protect them. What I would do is give the angelfish a 5 minute freshwater dip. The fish may not survive that, but look in the container after the dip - if you see what appears to be fish scales lying on the bottom, that is Neobendenia flukes, and you will need to treat the whole tank.

Jay
Hey Jay the Blue ring passed away im currently treating with cupramine. My flagfin looks like hes bleeding unless this is a disease or bacterial infection

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Jay the Blue ring passed away im currently treating with cupramine. My flagfin looks like hes bleeding unless this is a disease or bacterial infection

That also looks like Neobenedenia with secondary skin damage. Did you try to dip trick on the blue ring? If not, you should try it on this angel. Cupramine will not help if it is Neobendenia.

Jay

OP
OP
Z

ZachDemitro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That also looks like Neobenedenia with secondary skin damage. Did you try to dip trick on the blue ring? If not, you should try it on this angel. Cupramine will not help if it is Neobendenia.

Jay
i dipped him for 3 minutes and nothing came out of him.. I put him in the tank and he passed away the next morning.. Learned my lesson time to put a QT tank up.. Hopefully my other fish make it. If this is NEOBENDENIA what do i treat???

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i dipped him for 3 minutes and nothing came out of him.. I put him in the tank and he passed away the next morning.. Learned my lesson time to put a QT tank up.. Hopefully my other fish make it. If this is NEOBENDENIA what do i treat???
Sorry to hear.

For a dip, 3 minutes may not have been long enough, it typically takes 5. However, if the fish had Neobenedenia, you would have seen at least a few flukes fall off at 3 minutes, and more would have been visible sort of hanging off the fish.

The best treatment for Neobenedenia is hyposalinity at 1.012 for 30 days. If there are invertebrates in the tank, you could try prazi, but that can take 3 to 5 treatments to break the life cycle.

Jay

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 86 76.1%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 13 11.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 7.1%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back