Blue-Sided Wrasse Nipping Cleaner Shrimp???

RRReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I just added a skunk cleaner shrimp to my tank today. All the other fish haven't bothered him, but my blue-sided fairy wrasse is constantly harassing the shrimp by nipping at the shrimp's tail. Is this normal behavior? And should I rehome the wrasse? #reefsquad

OP
OP
R

RRReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a photo of the fish?

20200216_143516.jpg

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright, so C. cyanopleura it is - I was first concerned you might have Thalassoma bifasciatum.

How often and what are feeding? It is definitely not typical behavior, but being overly hungry could make it a temptation.

OP
OP
R

RRReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright, so C. cyanopleura it is - I was first concerned you might have Thalassoma bifasciatum.

How often and what are feeding? It is definitely not typical behavior, but being overly hungry could make it a temptation.
I alternate between brine shrimp and pellets, and I feed once a day. My LFS said they would take him back for store credit if it continues to be an issue, so if you think the issue isn't hunger then I've got that option too.

Last edited:

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I alternate between brine shrimp and pellets, and I feed once a day. My LFS said they would take him back for store credit if it continues to be an issue, so if you think the issue isn't hunger then I've got that option too.
They really need 3+ small feedings a day to best trive. Trying upping the frequency of your feedings first and see if anything changes - it doesn't need to be a whole lot of food at each feeding.

OP
OP
R

RRReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They really need 3+ small feedings a day to best trive. Trying upping the frequency of your feedings first and see if anything changes - it doesn't need to be a whole lot of food at each feeding.
Ok, I'll give that a try then and see what happens. Thanks for the help! :)

OP
OP
R

RRReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's the difference between the two? If mysis is better I can definitely look for that next time I'm at the LFS

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's the difference between the two? If mysis is better I can definitely look for that next time I'm at the LFS
Brine is pretty much like the potato chips of reef food - it just doesn't have much to it.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 76 44.4%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 79 46.2%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 16 9.4%
Back