Blue Spiny Lobster (Panulirus versicolor)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Nutramar Foods

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Blue Spiny Lobster is a very unique species that will look remarkable roaming around your aquarium. Their vibrant patterns are very appealing to the hobbyist. They are known to make sounds within in your aquarium, which is incredible to experience. They can grow quite large, so they will need adequate space and plenty of hiding places. They will scavenge around the bottom of the aquarium for food and will snack on leftover pellets. However, for continued health their diet should be supplemented with Gamma Frozen Foods. They especially enjoy Gamma Chopped Mussel and Krill Pacifica. Gamma's 100% natural foods are flash frozen to capture freshness and assure peak nutritional value. Gamma Blister and Flatpacks are the only foods to be gamma irradiated and are guaranteed pathogen and parasite free. Click to read more

blue-spiny-lobster.jpg

Rocketfish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had these in the past, like 15 years ago, but I don't have one in my current nano reef.

I thought it was a great critter to watch in the tank that added good color, and it is significantly larger than cleaner shrimp and the like.

Other than that I don't know if larger fish would pick on it. Everything I had at the time was small.

kstraumi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had one 6 years ago. Picked it up to add some diversity and to help entertain my 9 yr old daughter who was recovering from ankle surgery . She had the perfect view of the tank and had the perfect view as the lobster attacked and eat my flame angel; and then the lemon peel the next week. I learned a lot in my early days of trying to keep a reef lol. Took the lobster back to my LFS for credit. Still one of the most interesting and beautiful creatures I’ve ever had.

Astronomical

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had one 6 years ago. Picked it up to add some diversity and to help entertain my 9 yr old daughter who was recovering from ankle surgery . She had the perfect view of the tank and had the perfect view as the lobster attacked and eat my flame angel; and then the lemon peel the next week. I learned a lot in my early days of trying to keep a reef lol. Took the lobster back to my LFS for credit. Still one of the most interesting and beautiful creatures I’ve ever had.

Blue lobsters are definitely pretty and very fun to watch but yeah, these things are ravenous monsters. In a tank with only large and/or aggressive fish I think it would be a great addition. In a typical reef tank it's just going to eat everything. Of course that probably goes for all lobsters.

lobsterscience

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How big did it grow? I had some Panulirus ornatus that I imported from Vietnam. Beautiful but difficult to maintain.

lobsterscience

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Blue Spiny Lobster is a very unique species that will look remarkable roaming around your aquarium. Their vibrant patterns are very appealing to the hobbyist. They are known to make sounds within in your aquarium, which is incredible to experience. They can grow quite large, so they will need adequate space and plenty of hiding places. They will scavenge around the bottom of the aquarium for food and will snack on leftover pellets. However, for continued health their diet should be supplemented with Gamma Frozen Foods. They especially enjoy Gamma Chopped Mussel and Krill Pacifica. Gamma's 100% natural foods are flash frozen to capture freshness and assure peak nutritional value. Gamma Blister and Flatpacks are the only foods to be gamma irradiated and are guaranteed pathogen and parasite free. Click to read more

blue-spiny-lobster.jpg
Nice picture. How big did you get it to grow. Lobsters can be very difficult to maintain and can be aggressive.

lobsterscience

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I brought in 24 Panulirus ornatus from Vietnam to start a hatchery and it was going very well. Had the lobsters to 3-4 lbs each. They were huge! But also very time consuming and sensitive.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 148 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.4%
Back