Blue spot urchin - coral eaters?

ID-Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have had this urchin for close to a week now. Beautiful but last night he tore into one of my Leptos. Time to take back or hope it was a one time thing?

Bad photo - its towards the back of the tank.
IMG_3733.jpeg

StlSalt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup I have one just like that it ate some zoa frags, although I think it was after the algae on the frag plug and didn't intend to eat the zoas it still ate them.

OP
OP
ID-Reefer

ID-Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yup I have one just like that it ate some zoa frags, although I think it was after the algae on the frag plug and didn't intend to eat the zoas it still ate them.
Hmm Guess Ill have to watch closely. Beautiful urchin but I have some spendy corals up higher in the tank I don't want him to "accidentally" snack on. Do you supplement feed him? I put some nori on a rock and he didn't seem to eat much of it.

StlSalt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm Guess Ill have to watch closely. Beautiful urchin but I have some spendy corals up higher in the tank I don't want him to "accidentally" snack on. Do you supplement feed him? I put some nori on a rock and he didn't seem to eat much of it.

I don't feed it much once in awhile I'll give it half an algae wafer. I'm not sure they have a taste for coral as much as it just munches everything in it's path and when it's path meets with coral they get eaten. He ate some utter chaos, and Rockstars, left the circus zoas, they're up high. He had an expensive lunch that day. In the back you can see a lepto and he's never gone after it, I'm guessing they have been together for 6 months now. I'm trying to get that cyano problem under control so I'm not adding any coral right now, but I'm afraid to add anything to the tank.

Attachments

• IMG_2511.JPG
    IMG_2511.JPG
    244.2 KB · Views: 22

abbypoodle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Astropyga radiata right? This is one of my favorite Urchins, but I've read reports that some can occasionally munch on coral. I really, really want one but now I'm thinking he might wind up as a sump Urchin with a cool hat from that guy on here who 3d prints Urchin hats.

LiveAquaria - Reef Safe With Caution

1611088849133.png

StlSalt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah they are Radiata urchins. They also won't wear hats lie Tuxedos, they don't use camouflage.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 14.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 16.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 67 56.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 6.7%
Back