Blue spotted watchman goby help blind?

HawaiiTanks808

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had my blue spotted watchman goby for almost 5 months, he's been healthy and normal. Eating well, great and alot of personality. Over the past 2 weeks hes been acting differently, less colorful and I started noticing cloudy eyes, but he was still eating and acting mostly normal it just seemed like he stopped being as reactive towards the other fish, he usually would rush at a blenny we have when it would get in his cave, now his eyes are completely clouded over and he is bumping into things when he swims and he has redness under one of his eyes and on his face most likely from bumping into things. He is eating still but I have to put the food right in front of his mouth. What happened? All other fish are normal and show no signs of any sickness and no signs of any aggression

Ammonia is at 0
Ph 7.9 is on the low end and I've been trying to get it up but its been at that since he was first in the tank so he is used to that
Nitates 5
Nitrites is at 0.1

Pictures of him the first was him before all of this started and the others are him today
20201221_144555.jpg
20201221_142604.jpg
20201221_142633.jpg
20201221_142639.jpg
20201221_142738.jpg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The reduced coloration and the cloudy eyes are both from the same thing- an opacity to the fish’s surface. Is the fish breathing at a normal rate or is it deeper or faster than it used to be?
Two possibilities come to mind; bacterial infection or flukes. Do you have a treatment tank available? You could try a 5 minute freshwater dip. That will help identify flukes - they fall off during the dip and you can see them in the bottom of the container (this isn’t a cure though).
Jay

OP
OP
HawaiiTanks808

HawaiiTanks808

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The reduced coloration and the cloudy eyes are both from the same thing- an opacity to the fish’s surface. Is the fish breathing at a normal rate or is it deeper or faster than it used to be?
Two possibilities come to mind; bacterial infection or flukes. Do you have a treatment tank available? You could try a 5 minute freshwater dip. That will help identify flukes - they fall off during the dip and you can see them in the bottom of the container (this isn’t a cure though).
Jay

He is breathing normal, ill try the FW dip, I dont currently have a treatment tank mine got a huge crack im it. How could he have gotten flukes? I haven't had any new fish introduced just worried since he is in my main tank

OP
OP
HawaiiTanks808

HawaiiTanks808

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jay

Also should I use some stress coat in the FW dip to help him some with the stress of it. Also I currently have furan-2 and metroplex as well as coppersafe

OP
OP
HawaiiTanks808

HawaiiTanks808

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im aerating and heating the freshwater now also I can set up a 5 gal bucket i have with a airstone heater and filter to treat for now its what I have to work with

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stress coat isn’t useful in a dip. The whole point of a dip is to stress the flukes enough that they drop off the fish. You may need a magnifying glass to see any flukes that fall off.
No flukes in the dip? Then antibiotics in a treatment tank would be you next choice. The furan-2 is a good choice for that.
Jay

OP
OP
HawaiiTanks808

HawaiiTanks808

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did a second FW dip to get the rest of the visible ones off the first time the bottom was covered in them. He only had a few left he looks better now but I know he needs long term treatment.

Attachments

• 20201221_165030.jpg
    20201221_165030.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 52
  • 20201221_165033.jpg
    20201221_165033.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 42
OP
OP
HawaiiTanks808

HawaiiTanks808

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jay
There were definitely flukes what should I do now for long term treatment I did 2 FW dips and got all visible flukes off.
This is the 1st and second FW dips

20201221_162914.jpg
20201221_162923.jpg
20201221_162949.jpg
20201221_165030.jpg
20201221_165033.jpg

OP
OP
HawaiiTanks808

HawaiiTanks808

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did FW dips with all of my other fish, and there were none on them I check with a magnifying glass and there weren't any.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
O.K., those are flukes. Glad you were able to do the dip effectively. You should dose the whole tank with Prazipro. 3x, about a week apart each time. Change 25% of the water before the second and third treatment. Increase aeration in the tank with an airstone during the treatment. Prazi is mostly safe with invertebrates, but it will kill feather dusters, and be careful if you have delicate corals.

One caveat here- that goby had a LOT of flukes. The FW dip knocks them all off, but that leaves hundreds of tiny holes in the fish's body. It is possible for a fish to die a day or two later due to this. There is no way around that though - if you hadn't dipped, it would have died anyway.

Jay

OP
OP
HawaiiTanks808

HawaiiTanks808

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
O.K., those are flukes. Glad you were able to do the dip effectively. You should dose the whole tank with Prazipro. 3x, about a week apart each time. Change 25% of the water before the second and third treatment. Increase aeration in the tank with an airstone during the treatment. Prazi is mostly safe with invertebrates, but it will kill feather dusters, and be careful if you have delicate corals.

One caveat here- that goby had a LOT of flukes. The FW dip knocks them all off, but that leaves hundreds of tiny holes in the fish's body. It is possible for a fish to die a day or two later due to this. There is no way around that though - if you hadn't dipped, it would have died anyway.

Jay

Thank you for all the help. I have prepared myself for that possibility, he is in a temporary holding tank to see if he will make it over the next couple days with treatment as he has lost his eye sight and has now stopped eating, thankfully none of the others are showing symptoms and none had flukes when doing a FW dip, so hopefully it will be soon enough to save them with treatment for the whole tank.

Is Prazipro safe for mandarin gobies I have one and I know they are sensitive to certain medications

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for all the help. I have prepared myself for that possibility, he is in a temporary holding tank to see if he will make it over the next couple days with treatment as he has lost his eye sight and has now stopped eating, thankfully none of the others are showing symptoms and none had flukes when doing a FW dip, so hopefully it will be soon enough to save them with treatment for the whole tank.

Is Prazipro safe for mandarin gobies I have one and I know they are sensitive to certain medications
Yes - prazi is safe with mandarins.

Jay

OP
OP
HawaiiTanks808

HawaiiTanks808

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How is he?
Sadly he passed two days later, i went and bought a quarantine/ treatment tank and used an established filter, we gave him treatment with prazipro, but he was blind and had no desire to eat anymore, I tried his favorite foods, and kept live brine in the treatment tank the brine would sit on his mouth but he wouldn't react or eat them, he was too far gone and it breaks my heart because I loved him and he had such an amazing personality. I wish I had known how to help him and that he needed help sooner so maybe I could've saved him. The only good that came of this is I was able to treat my tank before it was too late for the others, my display tank is still under going treatment, thankfully no one is showing signs or symptoms and are all acting and eating normally, I did a freshwater dip on all of them in the beginning and none had flukes. Treatment is going well, ill be doing the second dose on the 29 th.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 15 83.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 1 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

• Other.

Back