Blue Squamosa with pinched mantle

Cam_official

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got a blue squamosa about 2 weeks ago and noticed the rear mantle of the clam is recessed into the shell. It usually has pretty good mantle extension (with exception of that rear area) in the mornings then in the afternoon, it either closes or stays partially retracted in the shell. This clam is located in my sump alongside 2 healthy adult maximas. I've been running carbon for the last few weeks with no changes in its health and I'm debating if its time for a freshwater dip. I wanted to see if you all had any suggestions for me.

Picture taken: morning time

Picture taken: 1pm in the afternoon

xjiang7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This happens with one I got from a local LFS in Chicago too. I don’t know what causes it because another one that I got at the same time placed in the same tank has been healthy. I will try to move it to a lower light area

outerbank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It may be PMD. Hard to tell for sure. I usually scrub clam gently with toothbrush looking for pyramid snails. Then do a 30 minute FWB. I scrub it gently one more time, if it is closed completely, before returning directly back to tank.

xjiang7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It may be PMD. Hard to tell for sure. I usually scrub clam gently with toothbrush looking for pyramid snails. Then do a 30 minute FWB. I scrub it gently one more time, if it is closed completely, before returning directly back to tank.
Both of the two squamosas I FWD died the next day, (regardless they are already half died or not). I have done FWD for two maximas, three croceas, one derasa, and one hippopus without problem. I feel they are less tolerant for FWD

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Squamosa did not have any problem with FWD. I think if it is further along in the disease process, it cannot tolerate it very well.

outerbank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both of the two squamosas I FWD died the next day, (regardless they are already half died or not). I have done FWD for two maximas, three croceas, one derasa, and one hippopus without problem. I feel they are less tolerant for FWD
OK. You understand the FWD. I trust your judgement. I have read a few posts here saying the blue squamosas are difficult. I have never had one.

xjiang7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK. You understand the FWD. I trust your judgement. I have read a few posts here saying the blue squamosas are difficult. I have never had one.
You may give it a shot as others have other observations, but I completely agree if a clam is too far gone FDW will just be a quicker kill.
Thee blue squamosas are difficult. Back then I had two that has been doing well and even some new growth for half a year, definitely not fast growth, but some. All that I did one day was to take them out for under 5 min to take care some bubble algae and vermetid snails, both of them perished soon after that

OP
OP
Cam_official

Cam_official

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I FWD'ed the clam yesterday for 30mins. Today its had weaker mantle extension so we'll see if it pulls through.

OP
OP
Cam_official

Cam_official

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Found the clam dead today. I'll have to stick with a more reputable vendor next time.

xjiang7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Found the clam dead today. I'll have to stick with a more reputable vendor next time.
Sorry about that. It’s really a hit or miss with them. I have got four from a LFS same batch two died in a month and two are doing great, they were in same tank also

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 4.7%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 37 57.8%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 17 26.6%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 7.8%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 2 3.1%
Back