Blue Star and Leopard Wrasse Successes

jsvand5

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My success with leopards greatly improved when I started using a TB syringe to inject PE mysis with panacur every 3 days for a total of 4 treatments. Before that I had a few that would eat all day long and still waste away. I just inject enough that a small amount can be seen in the mysis. I feel like injecting the meds into the mysis works better than Focus to ensure they are actually ingesting the meds. Doesn’t seem to affect the flavor enough for the wrasses to notice. So far I’ve done this on a couple Choati, blue star, ornate, and black. The only type I’ve lost recently was a couple Potter’s wrasses but those are even tougher than Choati in my opinion. My Potter’s were eating one day and then I never saw them again the next. It’s possible that my gigantea anemones snagged them but they’d be the first fish they killed if that was the case.

jsvand5

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, mine will hold them for several weeks, but they do warn me that it is at my own risk (ie if they die, it's on me) which is one of the reasons I love when they do bulk orders on fish and I just buy the leftovers after a few weeks. This way I didn't specifically order it or pay for it until after it's been in there for a while (and I generally get a better price since they did a bulk order). I think I paid $35 for my Blue Star Leopard.

I don’t think that’s really the best idea to be honest. Especially for leopard wrasses. If a fish is eating and looks healthy I want it at my house and out of the fish stores tanks as soon as possible. I know I’ll take more time to feed it better food, more often, and with perfect water quality compared to the fish store.

jsvand5

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey,

I’m a little late here, but, I’ve had a pair for a month with no difficulties. They certainly don’t look like they eat, which alarmed me at first, however, upon closer inspection they eat the tiniest remains of frozen or they feed of off my coral food or pods. I’ve heard stories about how much nightmares they are to keep alive, however, my anecdotal experience has been otherwise...

Try PE or cobalt mysis. I’ve never had an even remotely healthy leopard turn them down.

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t think that’s really the best idea to be honest. Especially for leopard wrasses. If a fish is eating and looks healthy I want it at my house and out of the fish stores tanks as soon as possible. I know I’ll take more time to feed it better food, more often, and with perfect water quality compared to the fish store.

That depends I guess on your fish store. Mine is a dedicated salty LFS run by folks who have been in the hobby for decades, so they generally take better care of the fish than your average LFS. The thing I prefer about this method is that I have seen fish do perfectly fine for a week or two and appear healthy but then for whatever reason quit eating. By leaving them at the LFS they are proving not only that they are active and eating, but that they have survived at least a basic test of durability.

OP
OP
67chevellemalibu2

67chevellemalibu2

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That depends I guess on your fish store. Mine is a dedicated salty LFS run by folks who have been in the hobby for decades, so they generally take better care of the fish than your average LFS. The thing I prefer about this method is that I have seen fish do perfectly fine for a week or two and appear healthy but then for whatever reason quit eating. By leaving them at the LFS they are proving not only that they are active and eating, but that they have survived at least a basic test of durability.

I acquired this transitioning male last Friday.
IMG_0686.JPG

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice, I assume it's still doing well?

OP
OP
67chevellemalibu2

67chevellemalibu2

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still alive. Likes to hide in sand a lot. Hoping since it’s big, it has a better chance of surviving and obviously it eats. I was shocked my LFS had one and at $70. We don’t have much to choose from in Northwest Indiana and even around the Chicagoland area, it’s the same old common fish.

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still alive. Likes to hide in sand a lot. Hoping since it’s big, it has a better chance of surviving and obviously it eats. I was shocked my LFS had one and at $70. We don’t have much to choose from in Northwest Indiana and even around the Chicagoland area, it’s the same old common fish.

Demographics continue to fascinate me in terms of availability. I live in an area that most people would never think of having decent LFS for saltwater but I have one less than a mile from my house (literally down the street from me), one that is about 5 miles away and another that is about 10 miles away.

OP
OP
67chevellemalibu2

67chevellemalibu2

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Demographics continue to fascinate me in terms of availability. I live in an area that most people would never think of having decent LFS for saltwater but I have one less than a mile from my house (literally down the street from me), one that is about 5 miles away and another that is about 10 miles away.

What state do you live in?

OP
OP
67chevellemalibu2

67chevellemalibu2

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t get me wrong. There’s plenty around my area and Chicagoland, but they all carry the common fish. There’s better choices online for me.

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t get me wrong. There’s plenty around my area and Chicagoland, but they all carry the common fish. There’s better choices online for me.

Online does have more selection for sure, but for more delicate fish, I still believe LFS are best. That and you don't get stuck with the $100 minimum for shipping. I have also gotten some better prices on the more common fish at my LFS if I get in on a bulk order.

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Possibly. I would imagine there is some growth and stress on them during the process. Then again, Leopard Wrasses often hide when they are new to the tank.

OP
OP
67chevellemalibu2

67chevellemalibu2

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still waiting for mine to fully transition. Has the colors of the male in the head area and some in the tail. I acquired this on 12/28/18. It eats mysis, krill, fresh shrimp and bloodworms.I didn’t quarantine and I’m just happy it’s still alive. Looks cool the way it is.

OP
OP
67chevellemalibu2

67chevellemalibu2

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why is it taking so long for my Blue Star to transition? It hides in the sand more than in the open. I actually thought it was dead. Hadn’t seen it for a few days until yesterday.

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My guess is that since he was older he is having a harder time adjusting to captivity. While most do it for a few weeks, I wouldn't be surprised to see this guy take a month or two. As long as he is coming out a few times a week to eat he should be okay.

PatW

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a leopard wrasse. I was hesitant to buy him but he ate frozen well. He is now in the display tank and he eats frozen mysis, frozen brine and even pellets quite readily. So go figure.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.5%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 72 34.4%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 69 33.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back