Blue Tang in Trouble

Geebs19

Give me all the Euphyllia
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
picked up a blue tang on Friday. Looked fine all day Friday, no aggression from anyone. Saturday I noticed him just hanging out in the same spot not really moving. Would not eat. Saturday night and all day Sunday he was gone. Sunday night he came out but was against the glass and a rock just moving his side fins. Wouldn’t move when I put something close. Came home today and laying on his side, thought he was dead, picked him up and he swam a few inches and back over to his side. Got him out and put him in a bucket with heater and air stone. He has a white mark/gash on his side, lost a lot of color, dorsal fun is pretty much gone in the middle. He’s a live but I don’t know for how much longer. Can’t get a pick, as I don’t want to disturb or stress him in the bucket.

Any thoughts?

@reefsquad
@Brew12 @Humblefish @4FordFamily

OP
OP
Geebs19

Geebs19

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
picked up a blue tang on Friday. Looked fine all day Friday, no aggression from anyone. Saturday I noticed him just hanging out in the same spot not really moving. Would not eat. Saturday night and all day Sunday he was gone. Sunday night he came out but was against the glass and a rock just moving his side fins. Wouldn’t move when I put something close. Came home today and laying on his side, thought he was dead, picked him up and he swam a few inches and back over to his side. Got him out and put him in a bucket with heater and air stone. He has a white mark/gash on his side, lost a lot of color, dorsal fun is pretty much gone in the middle. He’s a live but I don’t know for how much longer. Can’t get a pick, as I don’t want to disturb or stress him in the bucket.

Any thoughts?

@reefsquad
#reefsquad

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It could be (internal) swim bladder disease or HLLE and some PBT's just don't get off on a good start.

Feel you pain and it's needs to eat plenty of nori for it's immune system.

I'd would not buy an PBT unless I see that it's a spotless specimen and eating nori.

Good luck and hope the other's can help you out.

Frtdrmrose7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What else in is the tank with him? When you say gash do you mean missing flesh? Any spots on him? I hate to say it but it doesn’t sound good for him.

Any thoughts?

@reefsquad

OP
OP
Geebs19

Geebs19

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s a large white spot like the size of a pea. Around here the blue tangs go within hours of delivery. I got this one right out of the box. He’s about 2 inches.

Other tank mates, foxface, melenarus wrasse, fairy wrasse, royal gramma and 2 small clowns. I have witnessed no aggression when he is out.

I put nori in the tank everyday for my wrasses and foxface but the blue tang showed no interest.

It’s a hippo by the way, not that it’s much different.

OP
OP
Geebs19

Geebs19

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What else in is the tank with him? When you say gash do you mean missing flesh? Any spots on him? I hate to say it but it doesn’t sound good for him.
No spots other then that big white one.

OP
OP
Geebs19

Geebs19

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
F7079330-79D8-4F33-B9C0-B1B5DC30BC53.jpeg

4B5B9F79-4F26-4C6B-A8C8-CBF8DBAD295D.jpeg B1771215-34DE-48F3-B49A-B2C40E85A0DF.jpeg

In the first and last pic the white dot I saw is actually 2 larger dots, they appear to be protruding.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s hard to make much out when it is out of the water but I don’t see bad HLLE. I’m guessing an injury that got infected. Is the fish still alive?

OP
OP
Geebs19

Geebs19

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure if this helps either but the first night and 2nd day he was running into a lot of things. I thought he might be blind so I put my coral feeder in the tank and ran it by him and he swam away.

OP
OP
Geebs19

Geebs19

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s hard to make much out when it is out of the water but I don’t see bad HLLE. I’m guessing an injury that got infected. Is the fish still alive?
Yes still alive. Not much activity. Laying up against the heater in the bucket but will swim if I move him.

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you take photos of the fish in the water? Is there any dusting on him? Small spots? Breathing heavily? White stringy poop?

OP
OP
Geebs19

Geebs19

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you take photos of the fish in the water? Is there any dusting on him? Small spots? Breathing heavily? White stringy poop?
He is in a 5 gallon bucket. I can hold him under the surface if that helps. No other spots, no dusting that I can see. Haven’t seen him poop, I’m assuming because he hasn’t eaten. Seems to be breathing normal.

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He is in a 5 gallon bucket. I can hold him under the surface if that helps. No other spots, no dusting that I can see. Haven’t seen him poop, I’m assuming because he hasn’t eaten. Seems to be breathing normal.
The bucket is probably worsening the issue, as ammonia will kill the fish faster than any ailment. I’d get the fish out of the bucket and back in the tank, or a quarantine tank. If you must keep it in a bucket, prime or amquel can help.

OP
OP
Geebs19

Geebs19

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The bucket is probably worsening the issue, as ammonia will kill the fish faster than any ailment. I’d get the fish out of the bucket and back in the tank, or a quarantine tank. If you must keep it in a bucket, prime or amquel can help.
In my acclimation box now plastered up against the wall. Breathing fast. Having issues with my ai lights and can’t connect to them to turn them on.
4E3101BA-55FE-4E69-8674-D6D7BCE20EA8.jpeg 6F5BB38D-FA7B-4F16-B9CF-EE7707ECCF84.jpeg 79BF9FD3-96D3-46D3-89EE-D49D23004C65.jpeg E44FEC21-81E7-4348-9A6D-4BE196B8FAFD.jpeg

OP
OP
Geebs19

Geebs19

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m just wondering if I should take him out of the display. Don’t want my others getting whatever this is.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 56 40.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 16 11.5%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 39 28.1%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 26 18.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.4%
Back