Tang Fingerprint Disease

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wanted to start a thread on this, as a member of my local forum recently had a brush with this elusive condition/disease (photos below). I myself have had no experience with it, so everything I know comes from anecdotal evidence obtained online. Probably the best description of Tang Fingerprint Disease comes from this trusted source: http://chucksaddiction.thefishestate.net/disease.html
Tang Fingerprint Disease. Oval fingerprint-like areas of discoloration occur on the sides of tangs and surgeon fish. Fish feed well at first but deaths can occur. Given ideal conditions the disease appears to be self-limiting. Initially thought to be a result of traumatic damage, microscopic investigations failed to confirm this; it is believed to be viral although no viral particles have yet to be identified.

This Kole Tang had this discoloration (similar pattern) on both sides of his body. None of the other fish/tangs were affected, and it seems unlikely that a coral/nem sting would have caused similar looking markings on both sides of the body.

IMG_2508.jpg

The next morning the fish appears perfectly fine. The discoloration is gone, like it was never there. No antibiotics or other meds were used.

IMG_2554.jpg

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fascinating...

Am I reading the photo correctly, in that the kole's dorsal fin appears affected as well - or is that a trick of light and shadow?

~Bruce

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Am I reading the photo correctly, in that the kole's dorsal fin appears affected as well - or is that a trick of light and shadow?

The discoloration was confined to the body only. What you're seeing is the light reflecting off his pectoral fin.

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems like I've seen this or something very similar popping up on mostly blue colored tangs. Or is perhaps noticed more on blues because of the contrasting color shades. Probably wouldn't notice this as easily on the more common and numerous yellows.

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Saw this Kole tang yesterday
2CD0E432-A494-4198-924F-E56D5CE13FDB.jpeg

EC298A93-A4DC-45BE-A92E-FBCA34C7B1F6.jpeg

The spot is small but you can see it. In person it was more prominent on one side.
The other side I couldn’t get a good picture of. The fish had more scattered discoloration that I couldn’t pick up on the camera. They were tempature acclimating over 30 SW fish at the time so this could be stress but the place is to far to check on the tang today tho which is a real bummer

Last edited:

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t think I’ve ever run in to this, but it’s interesting to say the least! I’ve been thinking back hard to my days of “leave it be and it’ll be fine”, nothing I can remember.

I wouldn’t have known what it was if not for this thread!

ScooterV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, I just noticed this new addition. I got a kole from LA and during TTM what looked almost exactly like that appeared. I also thought it was bacterial and went right to the trifecta. No improvement the first day, but not worse. Second day it was gone. I was scratching my head and thinking "Wow, the trifecta works fast!", but seeing this it may have had nothing to do with it!

Neo Jeo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked up a yellow tang then the next day had white spots all over the front then the following day they were gone . Almost as if sand stuck to it slime coat possibly . Still don’t know lol best of luck

TangsRLife

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This happened to my yellow eye kole tang 4 times in the 4 years I had him. It went away overnight. My guess is that another tang bit him and that’s just the reaction they display.

Jase4224

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to dig up an old thread my I stumbled across it and I think my Majestic Angel has something like this.. I had my Majestic for a week or so when one morning I noticed it had these strange lighter coloured patches over its body. My heart sank of course because I thought it was velvet or something and the fish seemed stressed that morning. My wife had our sound system on and the subwoofer was quite loud so I figured it was spooked by that. The markings receded throughout the day and the next day were gone.

I’ve had my Majestic a few months now, he seems very happy, bold and is a pig at feeding time feeding on a variety of pellets, flake, frozen and nori.

Interestingly the markings pop up occasionally but can totally disappear within 15 minutes or so. I’m not sure if they are always in the same areas or not but I no longer worry and have accepted this odd behaviour. Seems to happen after feeding mostly. No other fish in the tank including a flame and coral beauty angels are affected.

sergifed91

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a kole tang and noticed a major spot on one side yesterday. I caught him and moved to QT and treated with Metroplex i believe. not sure off the top of my head. but noticed this morning white stringy stuff floating in the qt tank. moved it to a second qt tank and then tonight drained the other qt and threw it outside to dry and will clean with a vinegar solution and then do another t2t again tomorrow to make sure its well.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 18 29.5%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 51 83.6%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 16.4%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 11.5%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.9%
Back