Blue tang possible bacteria infection

  • Thread starter Thread starter Dmb092182
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Dmb092182

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Jan 17, 2017
Messages
284
Reaction score
124
What state or country do you live in
Maryland
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had blue tang in qt for 30 days in copper and one round prazipro. Ich went away. But I have whit splotches that does not look like ich now so what should I do now. Really do not want to do copper because fish is eating better with copper removed. What do you think? I would upload a video but he is not playing nice at moment with photos.
 
The splotches could be a secondary bacterial infection. If it's not too bad, then you may want to just keep feeding well and adding vitamins to his food to help boost his immune system. He could heal on his own. Having antibiotics handy is a good idea though in case he needs them instead.
 
Can you upload your video using Youtube? Just copy & paste the link.
 
It is not the best video
 
I don't actually see any splotches on him. He looks pretty good.
 
It is on the back of tail where changes from blue to yellow. I just noticed slight redness. And on splotch on middle of body. I see nothing around fins
 
Better video
 
That actually looks like a cluster of spots. Is that accurate?
 
It could be bacterial, though it could be ich too. It's possible to be ich if cross contamination was done or if the procedure was not executed correctly. I'd bet on bacterial though. Kanaplex may be worth a try.
 
Would a local fish store carry that you think?
 
Thank you all for your help! I will give a update after trying your suggestions. This is first time with a qt but I am glad I am taking care of the fish instead of removing him from display.
 
I've had a few PBT's get that red area at the base of the tail when in QT. It seems to be caused from stress or parasites. A lot of parasites feed on the fins which may very well be what's going on with yours.

Don't rule out a bacterial infection though. IMO, treating prophylactically is always safer. Always good to do a round of antibiotics. :-) :)
 
IMG_1535.JPG
 
This is a pic from this morning. There is a line white specks on black
 
How high should I keep cuprion? I had it at .20 to .25 for 30 days. Is it safe to run antibiotics with copper?
 
How high should I keep cuprion? I had it at .20 to .25 for 30 days. Is it safe to run antibiotics with copper?

Yes, you can mix antibiotics with copper.

The recommended therapeutic dosage for Cuprion is 0.20 ppm. However, that product can be very difficult to measure accurately using a hobbyist grade test kit. I recommend one of the "professional grade" test kits listed here: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/copper-test-kits.257924/
 
Thank you so much for the info. I picked up furan 2 and kaneplex. Just use one at a time right. It seems they do the same thing.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 9 5.4%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 13 7.7%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 27 16.1%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 57 33.9%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 2 1.2%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 11 6.5%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 11 6.5%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 26 15.5%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 12 7.1%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new