Blue Tang Sick or dying

ColleenW

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Hi, My Blue Tang suddenly started swimming very laboriously, almost like it is too heavy to carry itself if that makes sense. As soon as it stops swimming it sinks quickly to the bottom of the tank and just lies there for ages. There are also red patches on the end near the tail. I put these down to injury from the rocks but not sure. When it first started I thought maybe it was old (I have had it for about 14yrs) and possibly dying. Every time I see it just lying on the bottom I think thats it he is dead but as soon as I walk to tank off he goes. I have been expecting him to die but its been at least 3 months that he has been like this. I have another blue tang the same age and he is fine as are all other fish in the tank. I figured if he was sick he wouldnt have lasted this long. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Hi, My Blue Tang suddenly started swimming very laboriously, almost like it is too heavy to carry itself if that makes sense. As soon as it stops swimming it sinks quickly to the bottom of the tank and just lies there for ages. There are also red patches on the end near the tail. I put these down to injury from the rocks but not sure. When it first started I thought maybe it was old (I have had it for about 14yrs) and possibly dying. Every time I see it just lying on the bottom I think thats it he is dead but as soon as I walk to tank off he goes. I have been expecting him to die but its been at least 3 months that he has been like this. I have another blue tang the same age and he is fine as are all other fish in the tank. I figured if he was sick he wouldnt have lasted this long. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Welcome to Reef2Reef!

So - you've had the fish for 14 years? Lots of issues develop in older fish like that. One is fish tuberculosis, Mycobacterium. However, the red spot at the tail isn't a symptom of that.

Do you have a treatment tank available?

Jay

OP
OP
C

ColleenW

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

So - you've had the fish for 14 years? Lots of issues develop in older fish like that. One is fish tuberculosis, Mycobacterium. However, the red spot at the tail isn't a symptom of that.

Do you have a treatment tank available?

Jay
Hi Jay, yes 14yrs, and ive been told should only live about 12yrs in captivity which is why I thought just getting old but other tang is same age and still going strong. Unfortunately I dont have a treatment tank. would be nice to know what is causing the red marks which are on both sides so seems to be internal thing rather than external injury but im just guessing

OP
OP
C

ColleenW

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Jay, yes 14yrs, and ive been told should only live about 12yrs in captivity which is why I thought just getting old but other tang is same age and still going strong. Unfortunately I dont have a treatment tank. would be nice to know what is causing the red marks which are on both sides so seems to be internal thing rather than external injury but im just guessing
Also would the diseases you mentioned cause harm to any of the other fish, they all seem fine and as i said its been at least 3 months that she has been like this

Last edited:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
As Jay mentioned, there is such a thing as old age with fish and likely as he stated. Good water quality and diet will help prolong its health but not stop old age developments.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also would the diseases you mentioned cause harm to any of the other fish, they all seem fine and as i said its been at least 3 months that she has been like this

Mycobacterium / acid fast bacteria, are found in virtually every aquarium. They only seem to affect fish that have other issues, the primary issue being "old age". These will not be contagious to younger fish in the same tank.

Of course, I'm only speculating that it is myco, only testing (expensive) would tell for sure.

Jay

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 80 76.9%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 10.6%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 7 6.7%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.9%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back