Blue Throat Trigger - When to add?

K9Fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When is the best time (fish order) to add a Blue Throat Trigger to a recently cycled tank with a pair of clowns? My thought was towards the end of stocking my tank because of size, etc. My LFS is suggesting to do it now or early on with the reason being the BTT can be shy and it’s better to have less frenzy in the tank for them to get comfortable, (I was originally only interested in a male but I came across a totally stunning female that has me thinking). Thanks.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When is the best time (fish order) to add a Blue Throat Trigger to a recently cycled tank with a pair of clowns? My thought was towards the end of stocking my tank because of size, etc. My LFS is suggesting to do it now or early on with the reason being the BTT can be shy and it’s better to have less frenzy in the tank for them to get comfortable, (I was originally only interested in a male but I came across a totally stunning female that has me thinking). Thanks.
I would aim for close to the end but not too close personally.

OP
OP
K

K9Fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 - Clowns are all ready in.
1 - Lawnmower Blenny
1- Midas Blenny
1- Diamond Goby
1- Yellow Watchman
1- Long nose hawk
2 or 3 assorted wrasse, thinking about (Yellow Coris, Melanurus, some sort of flasher) I’m open to different types of reef friendly as possible Wrassses.
1 - Yellow, Purple, Chevron, Gem or Kole Tang. 1 total not one of each.
1-CUC, would like a tuxedo urchin if possible.
1- some corals too.

Then the questioned Blue Throat Trigger

Tank is 120 gallons.

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't agree with the LFS that they are timid.

Realistically it should be good to go in any time. Keep in mind, triggers can be a large biolode of themselves.

If you are only planning one trigger, I would go mail over female blue throat every day of the week. I had a female for a long time and she just stayed in her den, wasn't very social, essentially disappeared under reef lights. Males are much better looking

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I find these guys clumsy (knocking stuff over) but friendly and would be safe to add.
This was a pair I had-

trigger3.jpg
trigger1.jpg

JGT

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are big puppy dogs. Mine follow me as I walk around the tank and give me a side eye. They are now going through mating rituals which is cool but annoying. I’d add them whenever. They are generally well behaved.

OP
OP
K

K9Fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. I was set on a male until I ran across this female today. The lights don’t show the coloring but the red mauve color along the fins of this female is stunning in person. Also, I was very surprised on how social this one is compared to any others I’ve seen in my local LFS. This one is just one of the specimens you run across every once i a while and say wow! As i said i wasnt even considering a female until I saw this one. Just want to make sure I don‘t put it in too soon or too late to be successful with it. I’m going to take a second look in the next day or two as they do have a male also. Thanks again.

BCF9A9C8-F539-4B1C-978F-03EAAEC0D3CB.png

JGT

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine is similar. Has the burgundy on the tail as well. Very comfortable with humans. I can pet her and she has even let me grab her with my coral tongs. Gently of course. :)

OP
OP
K

K9Fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine is similar. Has the burgundy on the tail as well. Very comfortable with humans. I can pet her and she has even let me grab her with my coral tongs. Gently of course. :)
Have you had any issues with coral or invertebrates?

Vet reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would aim for close to the end but not too close personally.
I have a 60 gal corner and my first fish was a clowns and blue throat. He is great til I added 6 blue chromis there was some chasing so I turned off the lights. He stopped.
was feeding and he decided to take a chimp outta the chromis and killed it and went after another during feeding. So now he is in my 10 gal refuge til I can build. Off tank to add like a 20 gal long or something. Should I bother or will he go after the chromis again. Sorry for the movie all I have of them in the same tank.

Attachments

• IMG_1313.MOV
    9.2 MB

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 60 gal corner and my first fish was a clowns and blue throat. He is great til I added 6 blue chromis there was some chasing so I turned off the lights. He stopped.
was feeding and he decided to take a chimp outta the chromis and killed it and went after another during feeding. So now he is in my 10 gal refuge til I can build. Off tank to add like a 20 gal long or something. Should I bother or will he go after the chromis again. Sorry for the movie all I have of them in the same tank.
Honestly, I’d just rehome the trigger as that aggression is usually seen due to too small of a tank.

Flatearth

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My LFS is always selling pairs of these, and the difference in their temperaments can be huge. Some specimens are out and about while others are erratic hiders. The two they currently have are hiders, the female hides so well I have only ever seen it's tail in the 5 months it has been in the shop while the male flails when approached hitting the walls or jumping from the tank. They both act like this despite being at the LFS for 5 months.

I think this is the 3rd pair I have seen for sale there in the last year or so I have been visiting this shop, and the others hid the first week then were out although a bit jumpy.

My experience with them is they hide when first added. My first pair the male hid and never came out. After about a month I found him dead lodged deeper in the rock he liked hiding in. The female hid a lot as well, but would come out to eat at least. She was usually in view after about a month.

My current pair is way better though. Got the female online at about 3.5 maybe 4 inches? She hid for a few days then was active. She is always in view and is much harder to spook than my old female. I had her a month then bought a male at a different LFS. He had been in the shop for about a month, and was very active and didn't mind being observed.

He is about an inch bigger than her, and they squabbled at first with him chasing her mostly. After a day they paired, and there has been no drama since. They patrol the tank close together, and sleep in the same rock it has added a lot to the tank. I was worried it would be a weak pair like a lot of saltwater fish do where they just tolerate each other however they really do seem to get along.

I wouldn't add them last though, they are a cautious fish and mine definitely do not handle aggression from the other fish well at all. When the male anthias is messing with his females he chases them ,and if the triggers are nearby it really scares them. A fish actually coming for them no doubt would keep them hidden all day.

Your tank mates look good in my opinion. I have similar fish with mine, as well as a few types of urchin which they don't bother.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 106 44.2%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 112 46.7%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 22 9.2%
Back