Blue Throat Triggers

Reeferdude56

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had one for nearly 2 years. Wonderful fish, always swimming around and very perky. They really do eat like a pig, mine eats any thing that gets in the tank. They do like meaty foods, but they will be happy with anything.

kewpiereefypewpie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update? Your tank sounds awesome. I've always wanted a trigger but really want the whole reef community thing going on too. I had no idea the blue throat were more peaceful

OP
OP
CanadianReefer

CanadianReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update? Your tank sounds awesome. I've always wanted a trigger but really want the whole reef community thing going on too. I had no idea the blue throat were more peaceful
An update? Surely :). The tank is fully cycled, aquascaped and operational. I put my 3 gentle giants in first to allow them to settle in nicely - my blond naso, copperband and magnificent foxface. They are the 3 amigos - they cruise around everywhere together. I'm very lucky in that my copperband has been a strong eater since day one and is not very timid, but I still want to be careful not to cause stress in the new environment, since anyone who owns a copperband knows that things can go wrong very quickly if you're not careful! So, that said, no more fish will be added for 4 - 6 weeks - both those in QT and those in my various DTs. They are LOVING the new tank.

I have a purple Tang who is enjoying an 80g sump to himself. He's just a tiny little guy, but a TOTAL bully, so he will be one of the last fish in the DT.

I have a couple of tangs that started QT this week, so they will be added in 4-6 weeks, depending on how healthy they are and whether or not they need treatment. I believe I saw a bit of ich on the yellow bellied hippo - hard to tell since he's only about an inch and likes to hide in the fake plant I have in the tank, but he's eating well and I have high hopes that he'll make it to the DT eventually :)

Since I've went with a couple of bigger tangs, my fish wishlist has been toned down quite a bit. I'm looking to add some smaller fish, like the blue spotted jawfish and the golden rhomboid fairy wrasse - and of course (eventually) my trigger(s? - maybe just the male now).

I have some concerns with the eventual consolidation of my other tanks. I have 3 clownfish that will end up together, and I have a one-spot foxface that will end up in with my magnificent. I hope that they will settle in without much issue. My LFS has seen similar combos in tanks my size and have not seen or heard of too many problems. It will be a cross my fingers and hope for the best situation. There are plenty of caves on both sides, and once I am able to add my corals, I can put their anemones on opposite ends. That may help.

I was told to add all 3 clownfish at the same time, but to add the magnificent before the one-spot, since they are gentler of the two.

I wasn't happy with the flow in the tank, so I ordered the gyre system. It will be in today :)

I'll add a picture shortly!!

kewpiereefypewpie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An update? Surely :). The tank is fully cycled, aquascaped and operational. I put my 3 gentle giants in first to allow them to settle in nicely - my blond naso, copperband and magnificent foxface. They are the 3 amigos - they cruise around everywhere together. I'm very lucky in that my copperband has been a strong eater since day one and is not very timid, but I still want to be careful not to cause stress in the new environment, since anyone who owns a copperband knows that things can go wrong very quickly if you're not careful! So, that said, no more fish will be added for 4 - 6 weeks - both those in QT and those in my various DTs. They are LOVING the new tank.

I have a purple Tang who is enjoying an 80g sump to himself. He's just a tiny little guy, but a TOTAL bully, so he will be one of the last fish in the DT.

I have a couple of tangs that started QT this week, so they will be added in 4-6 weeks, depending on how healthy they are and whether or not they need treatment. I believe I saw a bit of ich on the yellow bellied hippo - hard to tell since he's only about an inch and likes to hide in the fake plant I have in the tank, but he's eating well and I have high hopes that he'll make it to the DT eventually :)

Since I've went with a couple of bigger tangs, my fish wishlist has been toned down quite a bit. I'm looking to add some smaller fish, like the blue spotted jawfish and the golden rhomboid fairy wrasse - and of course (eventually) my trigger(s? - maybe just the male now).

I have some concerns with the eventual consolidation of my other tanks. I have 3 clownfish that will end up together, and I have a one-spot foxface that will end up in with my magnificent. I hope that they will settle in without much issue. My LFS has seen similar combos in tanks my size and have not seen or heard of too many problems. It will be a cross my fingers and hope for the best situation. There are plenty of caves on both sides, and once I am able to add my corals, I can put their anemones on opposite ends. That may help.

I was told to add all 3 clownfish at the same time, but to add the magnificent before the one-spot, since they are gentler of the two.

I wasn't happy with the flow in the tank, so I ordered the gyre system. It will be in today :)

I'll add a picture shortly!!

Sounds awesome, can't wait to see some pictures and I'm very curious about how the trigger(s) will behave!

dohc97

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hate to tell you this but I have 2 accounts of crosshatch triggers going crazy.

1 pair living in a 500 gallon, lived in there ok for about a year, about 8-9" each. Fish started to disappear until the female was observed killing fish, another couple days went by and she actually killed the male. Female was taken out and sold off.

My personal fish were a small pair, around 5"( as small as they come) living in a 240. They went in there and it was obvious who the new boss was, they took out a tang, clown, eventually a couple fairy wrasses as well. I saw both the male and female do chasing so in my case they both went after smaller fish. Sold the pair.

I have owned maybe 6 blue jaws in my many setups and never had issues. About to try another which I payed for yesterday. I'm getting a small almost 3" male which is as small as males come. Probably my favorite trigger due to never having issues with any of them and the personalities. My lfs actually had a 4.5" male that had the most amazing personality, everytime I looked at him be would do barrel rolls, too bad I wanted to start with a small one...

HB AL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a bluejaw and sargassum and neither one bothers any fish, coral and 2 clams. I also had a niger a few months ago after being with the others for 5 months or so he went completely postal on the sargassum one day, so after a couple days of this I caught the niger and took him to my lfs.

OP
OP
CanadianReefer

CanadianReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went with a blue jaw pair in the end, aptly named Bruce "The Hulk" Banner and Betty Ross ;) so far, so good. If anything, they are quite timid and let my tangs rule the tank. They are around 4" each.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 32.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 24.4%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 16 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back