Blue Throat Triggers

CanadianReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello All,
I have several tanks around the house (a couple of 75s, a 55, a 36, a few 40s and a 5 gallon) - all are saltwater except 1 which is an amazon freshwater.

Needless to say, the hubby has seen too much clutter with all the various tanks and fish stuff everywhere, and has okay'd my plan to purchase a large tank and amalgamate everything into one gloriously large tank.

I have a space that could accommodate up to 10 ft, but unfortunately, I'm super short and I do all the maintenance myself, so I've decided on a 22o with a sump of 75-150 (depending on what fits well).

Okay, so I've always ALWAYS loved the look of the triggers. While my favourites would be the clown or picasso, since this is a reef tank that will be filled with established corals, rockwork and ornamental shrimp, I know that these triggers are not very reef safe. However, I read that the Blue Throat is only semi-aggressive and can possibly be housed in a reef aquarium.

I have a few questions...

1) Has anyone had good/bad experiences with Blue Throats in reef setups?
2) Since I'm in Canada, I don't think that I can get Rod's predator mix - does anyone know of a Canadian alternative? I want to make sure that I can keep their teeth healthy
3) How will the trigger likely react with the following fish:
- various fairy wrasses (the largest being the Scott's wrasse)
- tangs (I have a purple and a Kole and am contemplating a blonde naso or achilles)
- blue spotted jawfish
- bicolour blenny
- lawnmower blenny
- barnacle blennies (very tiny rock dwellers)
- mandarin
- ruby red dragonette
- neon gobies
- foxface (and am contemplating a copperband)
- randall goby
- various shrimp (cleaners, peppermint, pistol, anemone and blood)
- clean up crew (various hermits, anemone crabs, many different types of snails)
- clownsfish

Any help would be greatly appreciated - I'm so excited about setting up a nice big tank finally :)

Kyl

And how does it feel like, to wake up in the sun
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@shiftline has a blue-throat trigger in his tank. Bonus points he's from B.C. and could steer you in a food direction that's available to us in the frozen north.

shiftline

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@shiftline has a blue-throat trigger in his tank. Bonus points he's from B.C. and could steer you in a food direction that's available to us in the frozen north.
The north is quite toasty this time of year! we were in the 90s a week ago! haha

Hello All,

I have a few questions...

1) Has anyone had good/bad experiences with Blue Throats in reef setups?
- Yes I have one and love him. very cool fish.

2) Since I'm in Canada, I don't think that I can get Rod's predator mix - does anyone know of a Canadian alternative? I want to make sure that I can keep their teeth healthy
- I feed my tank a sheet of nori in the morning, A small snack of pe pellets via the auto feeder int he afternoon and frozen mysis at night.. the trigger is a pig and will scarf down everything.

3) How will the trigger likely react with the following fish:
- various fairy wrasses (the largest being the Scott's wrasse) - I have a fairy wrasse so fine!
- tangs (I have a purple and a Kole and am contemplating a blonde naso or achilles) I have a hippo and a yellow - no issue.
- blue spotted jawfish - Used to have one.. disappeared... i doubt it was the trigger though.
- bicolour blenny
- lawnmower blenny
- barnacle blennies (very tiny rock dwellers)
- mandarin - I have one. no issue.
- ruby red dragonette
- neon gobies
- foxface (and am contemplating a copperband)
- randall goby
- various shrimp (cleaners, peppermint, pistol, anemone and blood) - I have a sexyshrimp, peppermint and 2 Fire shrimp, (used to have 2 sexys.. i suspect the it was the bangai)
- clean up crew (various hermits, anemone crabs, many different types of snails) - My Hippo tang takes the snails for joy rides.. i have lots some but cant say if its the trigger or the hippo tang
- clownsfish - I Have 2.. no issues!

The only thing that has been eaten or nipped at (that i know of) was a red sea start.. happened over xmas when i wasnt home feeding as much.. may have been the hippo or the trigger.. but i cant say for sure who it was. Overall the blue throat is a great fish. Very cool to watch him swim. This video is about a month old now but its my most recent tank full tank update.. Ill try and shoot another one soon.

Breadman03

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would recommend against a 220 for a short person, assuming you are referring to the 6 foot tank that shares a footprint with a standard 180, but is a bit taller. My buddy had one and sold it due to how challenging it was for him to maintain. I suggest mocking up something like a sheet of cardboard to simulate the bottom of a tank and a broom handle to simulate the rim. See what you are getting into before committing to glass (or acrylic).

That said, My max size is a 150 Deep Dimension. I just don't have the wall length :(

OP
OP
CanadianReefer

CanadianReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm so excited to hear that it will be possible to own a trigger :) He will be the last addition to my tank, so I won't have him for a while, but I'll be counting down the days. I spoke with my LFS and they said that a lot of their customers have done well with the Blue Throat in reef systems. I guess I have 2 more questions - do they rearrange the rock work as much as I've read? ... and... what if I were to get a pair? The LFS can order just the male or the pair, if I'd prefer. Actually, 3 questions. The LFS mentioned that a crosshatch would be another option. I've always loved the look of them, but I'd read that they are a bit more aggressive than the Blue Throats. Is this true?

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a pair of blue throats in a fowlr system. Them hanging out together is fun, but the female is not as pretty. The crosshatch are prettier but much more expensive, I'm not sure about the more aggressive part; I haven't really heard anyone with that problem. I am big trigger fan, but the blue throats and crosshatch triggers are quite different. They are not the rough mischievous triggers that move rock around like with the clown, niger, and humu type trigger. They tend to be more reserved and even shy.

OP
OP
CanadianReefer

CanadianReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's been decided. It will be a pair of crosshatch triggers for me! :) it may take a while though. I'll be looking for ones under the 5 inch mark so that their growth pattern will be in sync with my tank size. It's okay though - it will give me some time to stock the aquarium to my liking, since the triggers will be the last fish added. Thanks for the help, everyone!

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's been decided. It will be a pair of crosshatch triggers for me! :) it may take a while though. I'll be looking for ones under the 5 inch mark so that their growth pattern will be in sync with my tank size. It's okay though - it will give me some time to stock the aquarium to my liking, since the triggers will be the last fish added. Thanks for the help, everyone!

I like your choice of a pair of crosshatch, finding ones at 5" or under will be a challenge. If you find a pair from a reputable source you better snatch them up immediately. They almost always come in larger usually more like 6-7".

OP
OP
CanadianReefer

CanadianReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've heard this. It's my local shop that recommended I wait until a small pair can be located. They mentioned typically only seeing them at that size perhaps once a year, but said for my system, it's best to purchase them on the smaller side because they have a tendency to adapt their growth, making them less likely to grow to a size that would be too big for my system. It's a quality marine shop - not a chain - and I find their advice to be very helpful. I'm certain they will be able to find me a healthy pair, but expect it to take quite a long time. Maybe I'll get lucky - you never know. I order the tank tomorrow. Now that I've decided on the crosshatch instead of the blue throat, I'm rethinking the aquarium. I had originally settled on a 220, which is 72 x 24. Since it's the height that will make it very difficult for me to maintain, I can get an 84 x 24 (265g) that is the same height, and that will give them more swimming space. Unfortunately, it comes at a hefty $1000 more, and that's not including the price difference on the stand (I don't know what that will cost).

What do you guys think?? I'm really struggling to decide what's best.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They will be fine in a 220, 6' tank. They kind of hang and cruise just a bit. They don't really zoom zoom, like needing a 7' tank like some tangs. I;ve know people get them in at 6-7" and many years later only get another 1-2" of growth if that; pretty much 9" top.

OP
OP
CanadianReefer

CanadianReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They will be fine in a 220, 6' tank. They kind of hang and cruise just a bit. They don't really zoom zoom, like needing a 7' tank like some tangs. I;ve know people get them in at 6-7" and many years later only get another 1-2" of growth if that; pretty much 9" top.
Well that's good news. It will certainly save me a lot of money! I'm getting a really good deal on the 220, but there's no "special deal" on the 265, so the cost seems to outweigh the benefit. So long as the fish will be comfortable in my system, then I'll stick with my original plan. Thanks for the advice!

OP
OP
CanadianReefer

CanadianReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank is officially ordered :) I went with the 220g and an 80g frag tank, which I will convert into the sump. I also purchased the blonde naso tang I've been eyeing, since he'll need to be put into the big tank before my other two tangs, and I figured the timing would work out well since I quarantine for a long while. He's looking mighty handsome in his QT tank and is already ripping through a sheet of nori! Other than a few wrasses that I was interested in getting, I think I'll be fairly well-stocked once all the tanks are amalgamated - and ready for the triggers. Happy day indeed!

prinaudo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
P1010006.JPG
I have a Blue Throat Trigger, she has been with me for 8 months and has been a model tank mate. Yes she does eat like a pig and has never turned down any meal. Her tank mates are Marine Betta, Goldring Bristletooth Tang, Ember Blenny, Sixline Wrasse.

OP
OP
CanadianReefer

CanadianReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
P1010006.JPG
I have a Blue Throat Trigger, she has been with me for 8 months and has been a model tank mate. Yes she does eat like a pig and has never turned down any meal. Her tank mates are Marine Betta, Goldring Bristletooth Tang, Ember Blenny, Sixline Wrasse.

marine betta?? what a beautiful fish! I've always thought they were really nice looking - too bad they are known to eat shrimp,and small fish. how do you find yours does in the aquarium??

prinaudo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
marine betta?? what a beautiful fish! I've always thought they were really nice looking - too bad they are known to eat shrimp,and small fish. how do you find yours does in the aquarium??
Mine is wonderful, granted I would not put any small fish or shrimp into the tank. This is a Blue Jaw Trigger, she is so much fun to watch. The Marine Betta is a great fish and is some what reef safe, use caution.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Marine bettas are fine with fish firefish sized or larger.

They are just as predatory to shrimp as blue throat and crosshatch triggers are.

prinaudo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Marine bettas are fine with fish firefish sized or larger.

They are just as predatory to shrimp as blue throat and crosshatch triggers are.
I have found they do like small shrimp, anything that can fit into their mouth. I do have a snap shrimp who is about 3 inches long, they have not bothered him at all. The Marine Betta very shy and blue throat trigger is the "tank clown" The trigger likes to squirt me with water when wants food.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 23.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 20.7%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back