Blue Tux Urchin help

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just got an urchin 2 days ago, and hes healthy (I think) full coloration, moves around, is sticking to the roof of his cave, no spine loss whatsoever. He just kinda sits in his cave and moves around inside, maybe moves almost out, but doesn't fully leave it. Is this normal tux urchin behavior? could he be having trouble figuring out how to leave it? Ive got some hikari algae wafers, should I spot feed?

EricR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe getting enough coralline or other algae to eat where he's at.
At only 2 days I wouldn't worry.

My pink urchin (pincushion) gets in moods about what supplemental food he'll eat.
Usually goes for nori and is hit or miss on whether he'll go for algae wafers or just crawl right over them and ignore, depending on the week.

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just got an urchin 2 days ago, and hes healthy (I think) full coloration, moves around, is sticking to the roof of his cave, no spine loss whatsoever. He just kinda sits in his cave and moves around inside, maybe moves almost out, but doesn't fully leave it. Is this normal tux urchin behavior? could he be having trouble figuring out how to leave it? Ive got some hikari algae wafers, should I spot feed?
How did you acclimate?
Could be just need a few days. They are sensitive to water fluctuations.

OP
OP
SlugSnorter

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe getting enough coralline or other algae to eat where he's at.
At only 2 days I wouldn't worry.

My pink urchin (pincushion) gets in moods about what supplemental food he'll eat.
Usually goes for nori and is hit or miss on whether he'll go for algae wafers or just crawl right over them and ignore, depending on the week.
In a shaded cave that is pretty dark, no coralline left in tank, dealing with GHA that caused dinos and killed the coralline (while not IDed im pretty certain theres little to no toxin, my snails have been eating it, are fine, and have even been breeding) theres a snail in there too, maybe the urchin is eating a bacterial film or smth? thanks for the response.

OP
OP
SlugSnorter

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How did you acclimate?
Could be just need a few days. They are sensitive to water fluctuations.
Drip over an hour, urchin was carefully watched the entire day for spine loss and signs of stress. It moved into the cave of its own accord, and other than what I have described, seems healthy, moves around, has not lost spines, and its well affixed to the roof of the cave and does not falter when switching cave walls.

Params stable, however Nitrates and Phosphates are low due to GHA attack.

TurboTang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had my blue tux for a little over 2 years. He often goes into the caves for days at a time. Pretty often I see him hanging upside down in one of them. Perfectly normal for mine anyways.
I like to see him there because he's not moving any corals around in there :)

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Drip over an hour, urchin was carefully watched the entire day for spine loss and signs of stress. It moved into the cave of its own accord, and other than what I have described, seems healthy, moves around, has not lost spines, and its well affixed to the roof of the cave and does not falter when switching cave walls.

Params stable, however Nitrates and Phosphates are low due to GHA attack.
Wait it out a couple more days. Should be okay. I think I went more like 2 hours when I acclimated mine.
Let us know!

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 16 80.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 5.0%
  • Other

Votes: 2 10.0%
Back