bluebastion's Waterbox 7225 SPS Tank

bluebastion

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With the exception of my 13 gallon Fluval EVO... I've taken a long break from the hobby. Last significant tank was a Current Solana 67 XL that had issue after issue over 2 years... (RIP 2012-2014).

I'm going to be starting this build pretty slow to hopefully mitigate the problems I had on the tank above. I've been reefing since 2005... and had my best success on my little old 20 gallon SPS reef tank.

So without further ado...

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

bluebastion

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Waterbox 7225 was ordered on May 18th, and I'm currently awaiting the arrival. In anticipation, I have started to build my saltwater mixing station...

Drip pan added: 63" x 27" x 2"

DRAIN PAN.jpeg

OP
OP
B

bluebastion

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are the Norwesco 65 gallon Vertical Tanks I'm using for Saltwater and RO Water. Pump is a Pan World 100PX... No ETA on the tank at this point, but I've got some plumbing fun coming soon. I plan to also plumb RO lines for a future Neptune Apex DOS purchase for Automatic Water Changes.

WATER CONTAINERS.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

bluebastion

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And now for the complications @Waterbox : 1 of my 5 PART E "Joists" was not drilled out on the ends. I thought about drilling it out myself, but the tolerances for the way the pieces fit seem extremely precise. I sent a message to Waterbox shortly after 6pm once I found out what happened.... This means I'm waiting until Monday to hear an answer, and putting the stand together gets pushed to next weekend. :(

Waterbox Part E Problem 1.jpg Waterbox Part E Problem2.jpg

OP
OP
B

bluebastion

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since I couldn't start on the stand today, I decided to start on my mixing station. Plumbing about 1/3rd finished. Drain pan is a little in the way but flexible. Also did a test fit of the Klir 4inch. I have 2 of them in waiting.

MIXING STATION 1.jpg KLIR TEST FIT.jpg

dragon99

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear about the stand. I had the same issue with my 7226. I actually broke a piece trying to put it together because I didn't realize a hole wasn't drilled. I thought it was a tight fit so I just "tapped" it harder. It's a shame they didn't get that fixed yet.

Interested to see how the Klirs work for you. I hate cleaning socks so I haven't used them, but a fleece roller would be nice if it's a drop in and works well.

OP
OP
B

bluebastion

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear about the stand. I had the same issue with my 7226. I actually broke a piece trying to put it together because I didn't realize a hole wasn't drilled. I thought it was a tight fit so I just "tapped" it harder. It's a shame they didn't get that fixed yet.

Interested to see how the Klirs work for you. I hate cleaning socks so I haven't used them, but a fleece roller would be nice if it's a drop in and works well.

Yeah... it was definitely a "Debbie Downer," but at least it was step #1 ;)

I bought the Klirs on a 50% deal from Marine Depot... can't beat that!!! First time ever using these... and will definitely update how it goes. They don't quite fit the filter sock holes, but they do sit flat on top of them... so it should still function as intended.

Here are progress pics of my Mixing Station:

MIXING STATION 2.jpg MIXING STATION 3.jpg

lost66

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These stands were always a mystery for me. They look like they are made by Ikea. I have Ikea furniture and planned put 55 gallon on it but when I used my weight to judge if its stable enough I decided to build the stand. And all over an Internet there is only 1 stand you can use and it's done by 2x4 construction which basically can hold a car. So comparing thin pieces and Ikea desing to heavy duty 2x4 I think all these hand made builds are way overkill.
Anyway it looks like this tank will be epic, you have some experience with the hobby so you know what you are doing and from the elements in the background we can see you love the ocean :)
Looking forward to see the progress!

OP
OP
B

bluebastion

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
More shots of the Refugium and the Display... Waterbox is sending me a new Part E. Hopefully will get it soon.

REFUGIUM.jpg DISPLAY AQUARIUM.jpg DISPLAY AQUARIUM 2.jpg

dragon99

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Caribsea Life Rock is in!!!! All 220 lbs! I think I went overboard.

LIFE ROCK 1.jpg LIFE ROCK 2.jpg LIFE ROCK 3.jpg LIFE ROCK 4.jpg LIFE ROCK 5.jpg LIFE ROCK 6.jpg
It's good to have options, you might need it but I ordered 180lbs of liferock and have 80lbs left....

The WAV is a good choice, I have one now and I'll probably get another at some point. It pushes water well and the magnet holds great. I've got a couple MP40's also, and they work, but barely hold.

OP
OP
B

bluebastion

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's good to have options, you might need it but I ordered 180lbs of liferock and have 80lbs left....

The WAV is a good choice, I have one now and I'll probably get another at some point. It pushes water well and the magnet holds great. I've got a couple MP40's also, and they work, but barely hold.

Thanks for the information. I guess I'll just have a lot of rock to start another build lol.

Part E replacement came in last week, and I was able to put the cabinet together finally. Finished it up last night. I had a some minor issues with the stand build. I apparently broke a cam lock... and had to reverse build a little bit to replace the one that failed. That was a slight pain in the rear. The other issue I had was that the cabinet hinges for the middle doors have misplaced pre-drilled holes on the inside panels they attach to. This means I'll have to redrill these holes (4 sets). Kind of a bummer.

Cabinet 1.jpg Cabinet 2.jpg

OP
OP
B

bluebastion

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Need some input please. Where would *you* place the ATO reservoir? On the side with the plumbing opening (close to the wall) or the side that just has a door (farthest from the wall). This will also dictate where the electronics (controller, power bar, etc will all be mounted) since it will be placed on the opposite end. Currently thinking that the electronics should be closer to the wall for ease of plugging into the wall.

ATO PLACEMENT 2.jpg ATO PLACEMENT 1.jpg

OP
OP
B

bluebastion

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went with wall side for electronics, less cords running through the sump
Thanks. I'm glad I'm going that route too. I'm debating even having the ATO container in the stand, since I'm plumbing from my RO water container at the mixing station anyway. Hmmm...

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 24 29.3%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 18 22.0%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 22 26.8%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 18 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back