Blueberry Shortcake Momma Shot- DANGER! Scott took the pic!!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone,

A bunch of you wanted to see the mother colony of our UC "Blueberry Shortcake" Acropora, so I figured that I'd take a quickie Iphone shot for your reference. Joe (the real brains and talent of the photography side, if you haven't already guessed!) is out of town for a couple of days, so I risked the ridicule of my friends and customers with another scary attempt at photography with my phone!:scared:

photo-4.jpg

You may not be able to tell from the photos, but the mother colony has a definite blue cast to it (not just the halides talking!), and is quite different from the "Strawberry Shortcake" that we are known for. The "Blueberry Shortcake" appears to be an Acropora microclados, but we are honestly not 100% certain. What we are certain of is that it's one hot coral!

We bake 'em under 400 watt 20k Radium halides. However, we have clients who keep them under a variety of lighting regimens with great results. One thing that we have noticed about this coral is that they tend to color up more quickly after fragging than the "Strawberry Shortcake", which has a longer "ugly period", as we like to call it.

Hope this helps!

Regards,

Scott Fellman
Unique Corals

BillyC

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you guys affiliated UniqueCorals that released this first strawberry shortcake?

9525C0F7-3889-4206-A617-BC1C5615BCC4-44550-00000176CD9EA456_zpsdd56785f.jpg

And the original UC hellfire chalice? I've always wondered this.

maharsreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow! Thanks Scott. I'm def looking forward to my frag growing into that colony. I have your Macna 09 S shortcake that took about a 8 months
to color up. So that is good news. Lets see how it does under my radiums, starting it of slow on the bottom. Thanks for the colony shot. Btw, Billy C, the frags of the original UC SS have a completely dif growth pattern than the colony. At least it appears that way in my tank. Branches are thinner.

Last edited:

cultivatedcoral

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Funny my strawberry shortcake that I got about a month ago colored up in 1 week. I'm gonna have to get that blueberry shortcake too. It's very nice!

Nick

OP
OP
uniquecorals

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you guys affiliated UniqueCorals that released this first strawberry shortcake?

9525C0F7-3889-4206-A617-BC1C5615BCC4-44550-00000176CD9EA456_zpsdd56785f.jpg

And the original UC hellfire chalice? I've always wondered this.

Yes, Billy. My partner, Joe Caparatta, founded Unique Corals in the basement of his store in Manhattan. After running the "old" UC for a while out of his shop's basement, the company went on hiatus. Joe relocated to Los Angeles, where he teamed up with me to re-brand and re-launch an all new Unique...Version "2.0" has a completely different approach, feel, staff, etc. However, the Shortcake is definitely a legacy piece. We'd love to get back some Flamethrower Chalice, as it disappeared before the business moved out to LA.

Scott

OP
OP
uniquecorals

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow! Thanks Scott. I'm def looking forward to my frag growing into that colony. I have your Macna 09 S shortcake that took about a 8 months
to color up. So that is good news. Lets see how it does under my radiums, starting it of slow on the bottom. Thanks for the colony shot. Btw, Billy C, the frags of the original UC SS have a completely dif growth pattern than the colony. At least it appears that way in my tank. Branches are thinner.

Jason, it's weird about how variable the Strawberry Shortcake is...Time will tell if the Blueberry is the same way..Perhaps, if it is an Acropora microclados, this is just a highly variable species. I'd love to see some shots of customer's Blueberry Shortcakes as they color and grow. Would be interesting!

Scott

OP
OP
uniquecorals

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Funny my strawberry shortcake that I got about a month ago colored up in 1 week. I'm gonna have to get that blueberry shortcake too. It's very nice!

Nick

That's good to hear, Nick! We wait an awful long time to get the SS's ready for sale...once the coral gets pinkish-red axial corallites, the whole thing colors up shortly after. The Blueberry is not nearly as slow to color up, but changes over a very long period of time, so it's interesting, too!

Scott

BillyC

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, Billy. My partner, Joe Caparatta, founded Unique Corals in the basement of his store in Manhattan. After running the "old" UC for a while out of his shop's basement, the company went on hiatus. Joe relocated to Los Angeles, where he teamed up with me to re-brand and re-launch an all new Unique...Version "2.0" has a completely different approach, feel, staff, etc. However, the Shortcake is definitely a legacy piece. We'd love to get back some Flamethrower Chalice, as it disappeared before the business moved out to LA.

Scott

That's very interesting. Thanks for the response!

typicaltony

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any sneak peaks of what you will be bringing this weekend to Dallas? Looking forward to meeting ya...

OP
OP
uniquecorals

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any sneak peaks of what you will be bringing this weekend to Dallas? Looking forward to meeting ya...

Well, Tony -Unique Corals is not officially going to be at the show as a vendor...I'm going to speak. On the other hand, I am entertaining the idea of bringing some corals or perhaps a gift card to the show for raffle items...We'll see on this one! I am looking forward to saying hi!

Scott

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 17 8.3%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 35 17.2%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 136 66.7%
  • Neither.

Votes: 10 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.9%
Back