Blurstriped Pipefish in a 100gal tank?

arking_mark

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a pair of Bluestriped Pipefish in my 13gal observation tank. They are about 1.25" and growing quickly.

1. Would I be able to add them to my 100gal reef tank when they reach 3"?
2. How quickly will they get to 3"

I've been feeding them baby brine shrimp and NutriDiet Marine Flakes....and of course they actively hunt pods.

ThePurple12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do they eat those flakes?

From others' experiences they only live to around 5 years, so my guess is they'll reach full size in a year or 2.

I've had my full-grown pair in a 125 reef for almost a year, but when I got them they were probably an inch smaller. They're doing great, spawning every 4 days. If you can get them to eat frozen mysis, that would be great. I did it simply by feeding the tank with frozen mysis, and eventually the bluestripes caught on.

OP
OP
arking_mark

arking_mark

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

From others' experiences they only live to around 5 years, so my guess is they'll reach full size in a year or 2.

I've had my full-grown pair in a 125 reef for almost a year, but when I got them they were probably an inch smaller. They're doing great, spawning every 4 days. If you can get them to eat frozen mysis, that would be great. I did it simply by feeding the tank with frozen mysis, and eventually the bluestripes caught on.
Yeah. They like the flakes. They mostly pluck the floating ones... I got these a couple of weeks ago from a local reefer who was breeding these. So these are only a couple month old. They were less than an inch when I got them. They are over 1.25" and growing very quickly.

Trouble1375

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I have a pair on hold at my LFS. I am going to see them tonight and decide to either bring them home or take my hold off. They have had them for just over a week and they are eating a mix of live brine and frozen Mysis. I plan to put them into my 125 gallon however I was worried that they would wind up going into my overflows as they are only about 3/4" each. I have corner overflows and I have filled around the area where the return comes out with filter material because I have a clown fish that sleeps in the corner and I have had to rescue him more than once from the overflow or sump. Once I added the filter he no longer floats away while sleeping. What I am worried about is the front of the overflows where the slits are that the water flows through.

Having experience with them in a 125, is this concern valid or am I overthinking it? I have the mesh covers on my Gyres as I had an anemone go stray and get sucked into one of them (never going to get another anemone) so I added the mesh covers even though I don't like them because they catch all kinds of food.

ThePurple12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a pair on hold at my LFS. I am going to see them tonight and decide to either bring them home or take my hold off. They have had them for just over a week and they are eating a mix of live brine and frozen Mysis. I plan to put them into my 125 gallon however I was worried that they would wind up going into my overflows as they are only about 3/4" each. I have corner overflows and I have filled around the area where the return comes out with filter material because I have a clown fish that sleeps in the corner and I have had to rescue him more than once from the overflow or sump. Once I added the filter he no longer floats away while sleeping. What I am worried about is the front of the overflows where the slits are that the water flows through.

Having experience with them in a 125, is this concern valid or am I overthinking it? I have the mesh covers on my Gyres as I had an anemone go stray and get sucked into one of them (never going to get another anemone) so I added the mesh covers even though I don't like them because they catch all kinds of food.
They tend to stick to the rocks, so I doubt yours would go near the overflow. Mine have never gone down the overflow. I'd say go for it.

Trouble1375

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They tend to stick to the rocks, so I doubt yours would go near the overflow. Mine have never gone down the overflow. I'd say go for it.
I do have a fairly active tank but my box fish who is only the size of a quarter or half dollar maybe does just fine. It's a mixed reef lending towards SPS dominant so I have a lot flow but I also have a ton of rock work (including multiple caves that are big enough for an 8" sailfin tang). Had a family emergency yesterday so didn't make it to LFS yet, they gave me an extension on my hold 'til Sunday.

Attachments

• Tank Update 4.jpg
    Tank Update 4.jpg
    104.3 KB · Views: 71

ThePurple12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do have a fairly active tank but my box fish who is only the size of a quarter or half dollar maybe does just fine. It's a mixed reef lending towards SPS dominant so I have a lot flow but I also have a ton of rock work (including multiple caves that are big enough for an 8" sailfin tang). Had a family emergency yesterday so didn't make it to LFS yet, they gave me an extension on my hold 'til Sunday.
I wouldn’t worry about it. Nice tank!

Trouble1375

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn’t worry about it. Nice tank!
Thank you. It's a 2 year work in progress that went through a couple of major catastrophes but we kept pushing and it's finally a reef. I wanted FOWLR but when we had to go fallow due to ICH shortly after we started the tank, hubby got me to go mixed reef starting with zoas and mushrooms and now I'm hooked on the sticks and stonies.

Back