Bobbit worm removal?

DungSl1nger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No it’s not a bristle, thanks for the tips. I positioned the rock so I can get at the worm easier and have the tongs ready in case I see it
Hopefully it will go in to the bottle fully. I couldn’t pull the worm out of the rock and I didn’t want to rip it. Good luck.

zalick

A cup of water and a dash of salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bobbitt worm scary!
BobbitWorm.gif

DungSl1nger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ugh sorry. Someone the other day said they can bite you too....

I'd throw that rock in a vat of acid if it got my wrasse.
That was the other big one I couldn’t get of the rock. The rock is sitting in an empty bucket. I will cure it next month.

If the poster above was correct on the species this is the Info on the worm. I think it came in on my KP rock too.

LegendaryCG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bobbit worms are like having a freaking monster lurking in your tank. no ty.

Can you move the rock it's in to a different tank so its isolated from your reef?

king aiptasia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That was the other big one I couldn’t get of the rock. The rock is sitting in an empty bucket. I will cure it next month.

If the poster above was correct on the species this is the Info on the worm. I think it came in on my KP rock too.

Eurythoe is an extremely beneficial worm to have around, its an exclusive scavenger

DungSl1nger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Eurythoe is an extremely beneficial worm to have around, its an exclusive scavenger

Did you read the link I posted? That doesn’t read like a scavenger.

Over the past 2 months since I seen these worms I have lost 3 fish and 5 zoas in the general area of that worm. I don’t believe at all those fish or zoa’s were dying. That wrasse slept on shelf where it was being eaten every night. We will have to agree to disagree on this.

king aiptasia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you read the link I posted? That doesn’t read like a scavenger.

Over the past 2 months since I seen these worms I have lost 3 fish and 5 zoas in the general area of that worm. I don’t believe at all those fish or zoa’s were dying. That wrasse slept on shelf where it was being eaten every night. We will have to agree to disagree on this.

Eurythoe is one of the, if not the most commonly reported polychaetes in the hobby, if they were such adept hunters they'd have developed that reputation much sooner. if you want further evidence dissect one of the dead worms and you'll notice no biting jaws or notable teeth. Predatory, polychaetes like Glycera and Eunice are unmistakably active predators that can subdue even proportionally large prey items

DungSl1nger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Eurythoe is one of the, if not the most commonly reported polychaetes in the hobby, if they were such adept hunters they'd have developed that reputation much sooner. if you want further evidence dissect one of the dead worms and you'll notice no biting jaws or notable teeth. Predatory, polychaetes like Glycera and Eunice are unmistakably active predators that can subdue even proportionally large prey items

It’s gone now so dissecting it is moot. Here is another one of these threads on R2R

king aiptasia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s gone now so dissecting it is moot. Here is another one of these threads on R2R

you can always identify a Eunicidae by the presence of 5 head appendages/antenna

fireworm vs bristleworm for the most part are not proper terms and mean nothing outside of the forums. as an exercise of my point tell me what genus is a bristle worm? as for fireworm a bearded fireworm is Hermodice carunculata, an animal very rarely encountered in aquarius

DungSl1nger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
According to Dr. Paddy Ryan this worm falls under Fire worm and that’s enough for me.
61DF65D9-F513-43FF-9440-092ADA954B1F.jpeg

At this point doesn’t matter, I pulled them out.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 20 14.5%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 64 46.4%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 47 34.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.2%
Back