Bobbit worms are scary...

Krixic

A Tad Obsessed
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So was just looking around the forum for some more information to gobble up and came across the hitch hiker ID thread. Scrolling through the different baddies/goodies, I came across the bobbit worm. It stated that they were "very bad hitchhikers" that could hunt/kill fish and to myself thought, no waaaay! To confirm, I looked up a bobbit worm video and the first thing that pops up is a feeding. I think, "hes probably feeding it some small pieces of shrimp or something" but NO. ITS A WHOLE FRIGGIN FISH. LIKE. 7-8 INCH LONG AND PLUMP. Granted the fish was dead (I think) but that worm grabbed that fish like something out of a tremors movie. If I get something like that in my tank I dont know what Id do. Probably just remove all the live stock and heavily dose the tank with bleach and hydrochloric acid just for good measure (although that sounds like a bad mix for some reason). Whats been your guys experiance with these devil worms?

Me and this video have two very different definitions of "amazing"
The bit at 0:41 literally made my jaw drop

stanleo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think they are awesome critters. I would love to find one in my tank. My LFS had a nice sized one for sale and I almost bought it for my sump just so I could watch it do its think.

OP
OP
Krixic

Krixic

A Tad Obsessed
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think they are awesome critters. I would love to find one in my tank. My LFS had a nice sized one for sale and I almost bought it for my sump just so I could watch it do its think.
All power to you. Ill hit you up if one every decides to show up in my tank lol

anthonygf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So was just looking around the forum for some more information to gobble up and came across the hitch hiker ID thread. Scrolling through the different baddies/goodies, I came across the bobbit worm. It stated that they were "very bad hitchhikers" that could hunt/kill fish and to myself thought, no waaaay! To confirm, I looked up a bobbit worm video and the first thing that pops up is a feeding. I think, "hes probably feeding it some small pieces of shrimp or something" but NO. ITS A WHOLE FRIGGIN FISH. LIKE. 7-8 INCH LONG AND PLUMP. Granted the fish was dead (I think) but that worm grabbed that fish like something out of a tremors movie. If I get something like that in my tank I dont know what Id do. Probably just remove all the live stock and heavily dose the tank with bleach and hydrochloric acid just for good measure (although that sounds like a bad mix for some reason). Whats been your guys experiance with these devil worms?

Me and this video have two very different definitions of "amazing"
The bit at 0:41 literally made my jaw drop

WOW! very nice, thanks for sharing. It needs it's own tank.

OP
OP
Krixic

Krixic

A Tad Obsessed
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reminds me of this, this one was just under 5' long I believe . . I don't know what i would even do other than just burn the house down and start over

It split itself.....into three pieces.....just cause it could. Ummmmmm, that's a hard pass from me, thank you.

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Those are really rare, is the thing. They're scary, but they're rare. And at least they don't spread all over the place like aiptasia or red bugs. There are many species of eunicid worm, but only a few that get big, and only a couple that get huge like those.

Personally, I think they're really cool. I'd love one in a species tank. 10g, maybe some invasive corals, and teach it to come out and eat from a set of tongs. Wouldn't be hard.
I saw a picture once of this really neat black-and-white striped one. Someone had brought it into my LFS to show them and get a big breeder box for it to live in. That one was maybe 6"? And I don't think it was the same species as these really huge ones.

Back