Bobbit worms are scary...

Reefer80

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one in my sons 20g. I have been trying to catch him for a while now with no luck. I have seen about 14" of him before with him still buried in the sand. Any suggestions and getting him out..

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Bait. Nice, smelly piece of dead shrimp, on a stick so you can move it around. Get him stretched as far as possible, then grab him with something. Not your hands, unless you have thick gloves. Try to get him out alive, you can probably rehome him to someone who thinks they're cool.

Anecdotally, bobbit worms sometimes split into multiple pieces when severely provoked, and said pieces supposedly grow heads and become additional worms. I'm vaguely skeptical, but I suppose it could be a thing.

DHill6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s why I took a hammer and screwdriver to live Tonga rock ,years ago, to get the entire worm out. What we found was a very long worm in tunnels throughout the rock. Hubby jumped when he saw that worm
I removed the rock and worm permanently. No chances here.

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope, nope, nope!! Hard pass!! This is a serious cross between Alien and Tremors and is the stuff of nightmares!!

Turnage

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe the proper treatment is to pour gasoline around your tank, floor, room, house; light on fire and move to Canada.
No you need to be a little more aggressive to eradicate them from your tank.
giphy (14).gif

Snoopdog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think my bristle worms were about to spawn last night. Suddenly they all vacated the rocks about when the lights started dimming and paraded around the front glass. We rarely see them but they decided to give us a show. Interesting to find that I have some around a foot long and the tank is only a few months old.

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think my bristle worms were about to spawn last night. Suddenly they all vacated the rocks about when the lights started dimming and paraded around the front glass. We rarely see them but they decided to give us a show. Interesting to find that I have some around a foot long and the tank is only a few months old.
Nope, nope, nope. Anything wormy that has the potential to be longer than I am tall would have to find a new home if I found one in my tank!! Haha Now I know where all the sci-fi/horror producers get their inspiration from... The very creatures that inhabit our water!!

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 58 40.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 22.8%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 33.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.4%
Back