Bonding sand over mortar in aquascape

ClayP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Building my first big aquascape for a 120g reef aquarium (>100 lbs rock). I've finished my first section of using motor. I ended up with a lot of the Marco rocks (40 - 50%) coated with the grey mortar. I've seen others apply cyanocrylate then sprinkle with reef matching sand. I'm thinking a faster and more uniform method would be to use two-part epoxy(used in my pond) which would be easy to brush on and cover with sand. I wanted to get any input before going with this method....any downsides?

Gatorpa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Building my first big aquascape for a 120g reef aquarium (>100 lbs rock). I've finished my first section of using motor. I ended up with a lot of the Marco rocks (40 - 50%) coated with the grey mortar. I've seen others apply cyanocrylate then sprinkle with reef matching sand. I'm thinking a faster and more uniform method would be to use two-part epoxy(used in my pond) which would be easy to brush on and cover with sand. I wanted to get any input before going with this method....any downsides?
Never done this but mortar is very alkaline, prob need to cure before setting up system.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can mix some sand with it. In the end it will be covered up anyway.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.4%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 41 17.2%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 161 67.4%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.5%
Back