OP
OP
boomeraudio

boomeraudio

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just did a peroxide dip with the zoas - some of the middles of the others were ridden with algae and melting away. Hoping that the dip will help. Going to do it every other day for a week unless they open.

Hoping for the best!

TheShrimpNibbler

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just did a peroxide dip with the zoas - some of the middles of the others were ridden with algae and melting away. Hoping that the dip will help. Going to do it every other day for a week unless they open.

Hoping for the best!
I would do this dip, and then give them time. Dips are stressful, and corals can take up to a week to open back up afterwards, dipping again could make it worse.

OP
OP
boomeraudio

boomeraudio

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like some bleached boys here 12 hours after peroxide dip. Not going to give up on them but I’ve come to grips with the potential loss. Thanks everyone for the advice so far. Much appreciated and more friendly than the Facebook group feedback I received. So many people were rude and not helpful on that group. So I’m grateful for the community here.

Here’s a few pics under white/blue light. Let me know what you think.

the good news is that tank parameters are stable, I’m tank dosing peroxide once a day now. Just 2ml to start. We shall see how it goes!

B03852E0-7AE3-4828-9C22-7A633EEA7BD7.jpeg 6F0C98A7-14F9-4DD0-A384-AC7626048B69.jpeg E781548A-FD5B-41EC-8E7F-59F4DD130283.jpeg 633836B6-BB9C-4755-B6C8-197284CD6D29.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
boomeraudio

boomeraudio

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well the Zoas are still closed and this brown algae has continued, not sure what it is...

0 ammonia
0 nitrites
nitrates 5ppm
1.025 salinity
78 degrees temp

Can someone identify what this algae is? Is it diatoms or something worse to be worried about? Started dosing peroxide (2ml) daily. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

IMG_6599.JPG
IMG_6600.JPG

IMG_6599.JPG

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can someone identify what this algae is?
I skimmed through most of the posts in this thread and I hate to say it, but you are trying to avoid things that are unavoidable. Starting a reef with only dry rock is the biggest test of patience you'll ever endure. Your rock will go from bone white, to brown, to green, and eventually purple. The reason your zoas aren't doing well is all the changes that keep being made. Because of those changes, the underlying message the tank is telling you, is it's just not quite ready.

Personally, if it were my tank, I would just remove the chemical media, feed fish once a day, and let the tank chill for a few months.

TheShrimpNibbler

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I skimmed through most of the posts in this thread and I hate to say it, but you are trying to avoid things that are unavoidable. Starting a reef with only dry rock is the biggest test of patience you'll ever endure. Your rock will go from bone white, to brown, to green, and eventually purple. The reason your zoas aren't doing well is all the changes that keep being made. Because of those changes, the underlying message the tank is telling you, is it's just not quite ready.

Personally, if it were my tank, I would just remove the chemical media, feed fish once a day, and let the tank chill for a few months.
I couldn’t agree more. If I could give you any advice, it would be to stop trying to add something new with everything that happens. Trying to stop natural processes only makes things worse. When algae grows, it means that there is something that needs to be consumed. Trying to prevent algae from growing with additives just leaves those things in your water.

OP
OP
boomeraudio

boomeraudio

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I couldn’t agree more. If I could give you any advice, it would be to stop trying to add something new with everything that happens. Trying to stop natural processes only makes things worse. When algae grows, it means that there is something that needs to be consumed. Trying to prevent algae from growing with additives just leaves those things in your water.

For sure guys, you're right. Do you think adding some trochus and nassarius snails would help? Or do I just let it roll? I'll be patient, just new again to the hobby and want to make sure I don't screw things up haha..

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For sure guys, you're right. Do you think adding some trochus and nassarius snails would help? Or do I just let it roll? I'll be patient, just new again to the hobby and want to make sure I don't screw things up haha..
I would start with 3 snails. I prefer trochus and if you can keep yourself from over feeding, the nassarius snail won't be needed. The reason I say 3 is because your tank is small, snails poop, and if they die, it sort of sucks. I would only add more IF the snails are doing their job and cannot keep up.

Magellan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just be patient! I started my tank with dry rock and it took about 6 months to settle down and start looking good. This phase is called “the tank uglies” and is completely normal and natural. Oh, and you could maybe try Purigen instead of chemi pure, it works great for me.

Nick Steele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome - thank you!!!! I really appreciate it. Looking forward to the not "uglies" hahaha

I find watching the tank mature is a good part of the fun. After the ugly stage I’ll be focused and enjoying the coral growth. I might be different than most as I am looking forward to the challenges that come from a reef tank and solving them.

Good luck with your tank. Still looking nice!

OP
OP
boomeraudio

boomeraudio

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick update! Zoanthids still haven't opened. Tried an Iodine dip recently which I'm hoping will help with any issues. Tank is roughly 3 months now. Can anyone tell me if these zoanthids will make it? Seems like 1 frag is nearly gone...turning white. Parameters are SOLID.

Thanks everyone :)

IMG_6633.JPG
IMG_6632.JPG
IMG_6629.JPG
IMG_6631.JPG
IMG_6630.JPG

jurgenph

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the firt one may not make it, looks like it mostly melted away.
don't give up on the others. zoas can be pretty tough.

i dipped two of my rasta frags in h2o2 yesterday, all zoas in my tank are doing fine, except those two frags, and they were doing great up till about two weeks ago. same rastas right next to them were still doing great.
sometimes i think there's magic involved with these things.

good luck!

J.

OP
OP
boomeraudio

boomeraudio

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the firt one may not make it, looks like it mostly melted away.
don't give up on the others. zoas can be pretty tough.

i dipped two of my rasta frags in h2o2 yesterday, all zoas in my tank are doing fine, except those two frags, and they were doing great up till about two weeks ago. same rastas right next to them were still doing great.
sometimes i think there's magic involved with these things.

good luck!

J.

ive tried everything ... peroxide dips. Wait a week and nothing. Iodine dip. Same. Not even the smallest sign of recovering. Really sucks and I’m not sure what else to do.They were incredible when I first got them. Now they won’t open at all. It’s been 2 weeks. One frag has melted.

OP
OP
boomeraudio

boomeraudio

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alrighty here's a 2/23/20 Tank Update. While I would've loved to avoid this whole thing, I've learned a lot along the way.

Diagnosis is dinoflagellates. This seems to make sense for the following reasons...

1) Parameters were really low for a good amount of time (weeks) allowing this to happen.
2) I noticed bubbles on the brownish looking algae that continued to spread.
3) My original CUC died. All of them. Snails.
4) The Zoas I have were extremely happy and all of a sudden got this algae on them and stopped opening.
5) Got worse after a water change, thus I must've starved the water even more of good bacteria.

Steps to resolution:

1)
Blackout. (Day 2 so far) Pic below.
- Since I've blacked out the tank I've noticed the sand bed is nearly clear of the algae. The rocks have started to clear as well.
- The tank water has become extremely cloudy (brownish). Obviously I'm concerned with a bacterial bloom and it spiking the water parameters and killing my fish and shrimp. Is this possible?
- I've added my backup koralia at the surface of one corner to add more oxygen to the water.
- I've decided against adding carbon/chemipure for the time being and just running filter floss. I don't want to make too many changes to the system.

2) Going to begin Vibrant dosing 2x a week. 2ml for the 20g tank.

3) Ordered the IM Auqa UV Sterilizer that will arrive tomorrow and I'll implement that as well.

I will update along the way for anyone else that has ever dealt with or is currently fighting this. Any advice is certainly appreciated.

Thanks!

IMG_6664.JPG

Nick Steele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it is Dino’s I believe the cloudiness is them free floating in the water which the UV will help combat! Glad you were able to figure this out and hopefully will turn around quickly!

I’ve heard some good thing about chemi clean also clearing Dino’s and algae quickly.

OP
OP
boomeraudio

boomeraudio

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it is Dino’s I believe the cloudiness is them free floating in the water which the UV will help combat! Glad you were able to figure this out and hopefully will turn around quickly!

I’ve heard some good thing about chemi clean also clearing Dino’s and algae quickly.

Thanks Nick - hoping for the best that's for sure!

TheShrimpNibbler

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alrighty here's a 2/23/20 Tank Update. While I would've loved to avoid this whole thing, I've learned a lot along the way.

Diagnosis is dinoflagellates. This seems to make sense for the following reasons...

1) Parameters were really low for a good amount of time (weeks) allowing this to happen.
2) I noticed bubbles on the brownish looking algae that continued to spread.
3) My original CUC died. All of them. Snails.
4) The Zoas I have were extremely happy and all of a sudden got this algae on them and stopped opening.
5) Got worse after a water change, thus I must've starved the water even more of good bacteria.

Steps to resolution:

1)
Blackout. (Day 2 so far) Pic below.
- Since I've blacked out the tank I've noticed the sand bed is nearly clear of the algae. The rocks have started to clear as well.
- The tank water has become extremely cloudy (brownish). Obviously I'm concerned with a bacterial bloom and it spiking the water parameters and killing my fish and shrimp. Is this possible?
- I've added my backup koralia at the surface of one corner to add more oxygen to the water.
- I've decided against adding carbon/chemipure for the time being and just running filter floss. I don't want to make too many changes to the system.

2) Going to begin Vibrant dosing 2x a week. 2ml for the 20g tank.

3) Ordered the IM Auqa UV Sterilizer that will arrive tomorrow and I'll implement that as well.

I will update along the way for anyone else that has ever dealt with or is currently fighting this. Any advice is certainly appreciated.

Thanks!

IMG_6664.JPG
I would actually recommend the opposite of what you were thinking. Don’t dose vibrant, and instead start using carbon (not dosing carbon, but the pieces that you can put in a mesh bag. So many people have problems after vibrant that I will never let it anywhere near my tank.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 12 20.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 3.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 7 12.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 32 55.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 8.6%
Back