OP
booth2010

booth2010

Newb but eager to learn!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All 6 bulbs are firing now on my fixture and I have lowered it to 7ish inches above the water, its usually around 80deg... Plus I replaced that thermometer.

OP
OP
booth2010

booth2010

Newb but eager to learn!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I figured it out... It spontaneously combusted! That's what I came up with. Unless he is really hiding in the column somewhere I honestly don't know where else to look... And he couldn't have jumped out of the DT it would be impossible. And he would have had to jump 6+" to have gotten out of the sump...

Last edited:
OP
OP
booth2010

booth2010

Newb but eager to learn!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I ordered a CUC today. The tank is a 40 breeder as everyone hopefully knows by now, but I ordered a CUC that was for a 30 breeder becasue I felt the one for the 40b would be too strong. I ordered it from reef cleaners as I feel they had the best deals. Being located in Florida is a plus too.

OP
OP
booth2010

booth2010

Newb but eager to learn!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well its been a while, the tank is still doing fine. The CUC took a few days but they are nice and active now. I finally discovered what happened to the clown, I died at some point and was in a cave and thats why I couldnt find it. The other clown fish had some white patches on it but it does not look like ich to me so idk. They have slowly faded, I am assuming it is gettin healthier and stronger as it eats more.

About 2 weeks ago I purchased a watchman goby, about 4 little blule leg hermit crabs and 2 peppermint shrimp. Unfortunately I purchased the goby before I knew about the sickness in the tank and it passed 4 days later. It could have already been sick at LFS but from looking at him there I could not tell. The little hermits are doing great however but then again as long as there is food they should be good to go. The shrimp are seen occasionally since they are hiders. I will probably get a few more blue legs and 2 skunk shrimps in the next few weeks as that will be the only life in the tank for a while.

I just purchased a 10g tank, a HOB filter and some PVC to set up a QT. I have had a sponge in the sump for 2 months now so it should be seeded now. I purchased the Seachem Ammonia Alert Badge some PraziPro and Seachem Cupramine and they should be here next week. I plan on filling the tank tomorrow and putting in a bit of food to get it ready. Once everything is set I am going to buy 2 more fish, probably a yellow clown goby and small blue reef chromis and QT the 3 all at once. Once they are eating I will start them on the PraziPro and then do the copper. After the 30 days of copper I will return the copper level to normal and watch them for the remaining time period so the DT can remain fallow for 72 days.

OP
OP
booth2010

booth2010

Newb but eager to learn!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
QT is up and running. The sponge is the HOB has been in the sump since the tank started up so its good but the DIY sponge filter is brand new so I put a couple small rocks under it to help seed it. I'll take em out in a week or 2 when I play to buy some fish. In it are 4 different size pvc pieces and and ammonia alert badge
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1442669801.036987.jpg

OP
OP
booth2010

booth2010

Newb but eager to learn!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I guess its time for an update. The QT has been up and running for 9 days, some ammonia is showing I am guessing from the rock but its probably safe to take them out now. I have had the HOB off for several days now because the sponge filter has lowered the water level by about 1/4-1/2 an inch. I am going to make a little tray for the water to run off of to lower the noise since it is in the bedroom. The water level has stopped dropping so I am assuming it will stay at this level now and I will just top off the water with fresh now.

For the main tank I have had a bad outbreak of algae, what kind I am not sure of. I have changed the amount of time my light are on down to 10hrs. I know this is still a long time but It gives me from 10am to 8pm. Hopefully when I have coral they will all be open by my lunch at 12 and then it leaves 3hrs of viewing after work.

To combat the algae I have bought Vodka to dose with, I still need to buy a phosphate test kit so I have not yet started dosing. As far as my livestock, I have not seen the shrimp in a long time. I think my salinity swings may have done them in. You would think I would be i nthe routine of topping off everyday but I still go 3 days sometimes without top off. I go through about 5 gallons of top off a week. I think many of my snails have passed because of this too. I am sure all the die off is a reason why the alage is so bad but itll get better in time. My skimmer is pulling a lot of nasty gunk out. I run it a little wet so I have to empty it about every week or so.

I did just make a purchase that will help stabalize the tank however. I bought the Tunze Osmolator Nano 3152 ATO, it should hopefully ship today. I need it before the 12th of Oct as I am leaving for a week long cruise and my roommate is waaaaay too forgetful to remember to top off the tank, feeding alone is going to worry me.

Anyway, here are a few pics of my algae problem:

Algae 1.JPG
Algae 2.JPG
Algae 3.JPG

OP
OP
booth2010

booth2010

Newb but eager to learn!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Tunze Osmolator Nano 3152 ATO is amazing! I cant believe I didnt purchase this earlier! Easy to set up and and its keep the water level perfect. It also came a day ealrier than USPS said, im thinking they are starting to put a later than planned date so people are suprised when it arrives early lol.
On a much cooler note, I bought a few toys today. I got some BRS Bulk Large Particle Lignite Carbon and some BRS Bulk GFO that I will be running once BRS gets their reactor + pump combos back in. Untill then I will use the Vodka. I bought 15bs of Tonga Shelf Flat rock to add to the right of the tank on top of the smaller rock, I am wanting to add a little more real estate without going too high. We will see how it goes. I also purchased a Jebao RW-8 to replace the super cheap/crappy pump in the tank now. Last but not least I purchased a Reekepper Lite Plus. I only want it to be able to turn off/on my pumps, have lights on a timer, moniter and shut off heater in an emergency, d and to moniter salinity at some point in the future.

Everything should be here by Tuesday which gives me plenty of time to set it up in time for my cruise I leave for on Monday 10/12.

OP
OP
booth2010

booth2010

Newb but eager to learn!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well the ATO is still fantastic, I filled the 5g bucket up as high as I could on Saturday night and it looks like I will have to fill it tonight. Thats a good 5 full days. So if I make sure its 100% full Monday morning before I leave for the cruise and cut my lights down to 6ish hrs a day there should be enough water to last till Friday night when I get back.
The Jebao came in Monday and since I was switching out the powerheads I took the opportunity to take both out and get as much algae off the panels as I could, looks nice and clean and the RW-8 is great! The controls are a little strange compared to the MP10 but still very nice.
The rock and RKL came in yesterday, so far I am pleased with what I received. The RKL is nice, took me about 10 minutes to set up all the outlets on the PC4s. I am so happy I can set the timers on the light to come on at different times. The hardest part was mounting the PC4s on the wall behind the tank. Not much room to move around and getting the drill at the right angle was a pain in the butt. However it is all set up and running well, just need to do a little cable management, I will take that as an opportunity to clean everything. The rocks I received were great, 1 nice large piece that is exactly what I wanted and 2 smaller pieces. I will post pics eventually lol.

steve&mari

Blessed Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everything is looking great hopefully you have a great time on your trip and come home to a happy tank waiting for you.

OP
OP
booth2010

booth2010

Newb but eager to learn!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everything is looking great hopefully you have a great time on your trip and come home to a happy tank waiting for you.

Thanks. I plan on doing some snorkeling while in Mexico, I hope I see some good stuff. I just have to hope my roommate remembers to feed the fish lol.

OP
OP
booth2010

booth2010

Newb but eager to learn!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well got back from vacation on Saturday afternoon and the clown was still alive, a bit of algae on the glass and the ATO bucket only had 1" of water in it... So im glad the pump didnt get knocked over and was sitting upright. I filled it immediatly and all is well. I went to the LFS yesterday and picked up a tennis ball size rock of Star Polyps, purplish with green center, a 3" Kenya Tree that looked kinda pathetic yesterday in my tank but looks a little better today, and 10 more blue leg hermits to pick at the algae.

OP
OP
booth2010

booth2010

Newb but eager to learn!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well not much has happened lately. The Kenya tree died, it didn't look too good at the LFS so it was cheap, just thought I would see if I could help it any. The Star Polyps are doing okay. I got a BRS GFO & Carbon Reactor and am running GFO and Carbon, it seems to be helping with phosphates. I need to change it out this weekend its been 3 weeks.

My one fish still seems happy, I plan on getting another one or 2 in a month or so. My wife has named him Thor lol. I am considering taking out all the sand and going BB for a while. Still haven't added the shelf rock I bought before vaca, will probably do that at the same time.

In other news, my wife and I found out this weekend that she is pregnant. This will be our first kid so im nervous as hell lol. I guess I wont be doing any more big purchases anytime soon. Although I HAVE to buy bulbs next July but I guess that's only if I have bought any corals by then... We will see...

OP
OP
booth2010

booth2010

Newb but eager to learn!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well its been a while without an update. I change out my GFO and Carbon every 2 weeks but I still have an algae problem. I have raised the lights and shortened the photo period to 8hrs.

There was a black Friday deal that I did from saltwaterfish.com so I bought 5 fish, 2 shrimp, some copepods and I got 1 fish free. Heres what I got:

Purpleback Psuedochromis - Alive and becoming more active and more brave every day!
Purple Firefish Goby - Didn't see it for first 2 weeks, now comes out every day but hides the second someone comes within 4ft of the tank.
Ruby Red Dragonette - Was alive for several weeks, found it in sump twice, cant find it any longer. I am afraid it got sucked into a pump...
Bicolor Blenny - Great little guy, he seems to have double in size already, I have to get him out of the overflow once a week.
Lyretail Anthias Male - Was super active and awesome, was best friends with Thor (the clown), died 2 weeks ago, I felt bad for Thor :/
Peppermint Shrimp x 2 - They like to hide
Cleaner Shrimp - It also likes to hide
FREE FISH - Yellow Tang - Died within 2 days of arrival... He seemed in poor condition when he arrived but I hoped for the best...

That's it for now, I will probably be moving by mid Feb so during the move I am going to scrub the rocks to remove the algae and I will be going BB.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 61 43.0%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 69 48.6%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 12 8.5%
Back