Borate and sulfate in alkalinity supplements

  • Thread starter Thread starter Myka
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Myka

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Jul 16, 2015
Messages
1,041
Reaction score
674
Location
SK, Canada
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm looking at an alkalinity powder that lists ingredients as, "Inorganic salts of carbonate, bicarbonate, sulfate and borate." Are the sulfate and borate by-products of the source, or why would these be in here? The product is Brightwell Aquatics Alkalin8.3-P.
 
These are all anions in the salt mix used to raise the alkalinity. Most likely this product is a mixture of sodium carbonate, sodium bicarbonate, sodium borate and magnesium sulfate.
 
There is no reason or benefit of sulfate in an alk supplement, and I have no idea why they add it except perhaps to look different from other products to people who do not know what it is. But it won't hurt anything either. Sulfate is the third most abundant ion in seawater by weight, so it doesn't hurt anything to add some.

Borate is a natural buffer in seawater, but I generally would not add it to a reef tank since it is not reduced by calcification. That said, I have no idea how much they add.
 
Last edited:
These are all anions in the salt mix used to raise the alkalinity. Most likely this product is a mixture of sodium carbonate, sodium bicarbonate, sodium borate and magnesium sulfate.

Absolutely. I'm just wondering why there would borate and sulfate in an alkalinity supplement. What would the benefit be?. :)

There is no reason or benefit of sulfate in an alk supplement, and I have no idea why they add it except perhaps to look different from other products to people who do not know what it is. But it won't hurt anything either. Sulfate is the third most abundant ion in seawater by weight, so it doesn't hurt anything to add some.

Borate is a natural buffer in seawater, but I generally would not add it to a reef tank since it is not reduced by calcification. That said, I have no idea how much they add.

Ok thanks, I'll shoot them an email and see what they say. Their magnesium blend lists sulfate before chloride as well, so I'm curious why they would do that too besides sulfate being cheaper. Haha.
 
At least with magnesium, it needs to be either chloride or sulfate or both. An alk supplement does not need or benefit from sulfate in any way.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 5 3.8%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 10 7.6%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 25 18.9%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 42 31.8%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 7.6%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 7.6%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 20 15.2%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 6.8%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new