Bored and have some random questions

JumpingFlea

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
1. First question is what is “Bump”? And what is “+1”. I would see these all over threads and have no clue what it is.

2. Second what is growing on my Goni?
I know it’s dying. Hardest coral I’ve ever kept. Don’t know why. I have a very healthy dunkin and hammer so I can do LPS but who knows.

A2967A50-960B-4FDE-A05F-76508024346B.jpeg

3. Is my Chaeto Algae healthy? It has doubled in size quickly but just kind of stopped growing. That might be the reason of my 0 nitrates. I use a led bar type thing and have it on the same time I have my main lights on.

F0DC3E2E-39C2-47E4-A649-BD859C74F079.jpeg

4. One of the most conventional question in my opinion is... anemones. When should they be added if you want to add them. Are anemones reef safe? I do want anemone in my tank at some point but when is it best to add and are they reef safe?

That’s all the questions for now thank you for any responses.

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gonis need, IME, aminos (Red Sea AB+) and phytoplankton (either live or preserved, seachem is a decent one).

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. Bump just moves that thread to the top of the list so more people see it. +1 just means that you agree.

2. Hard to tell in the pic, sponges possibly.

3. The cheato used up your nitrates and is probably now not getting enough nutrients so stopped growing.

4. I don't know a lot about anemones, but the tank should mature first. There are plenty of people that keep them in a reef tank but they can move and sting corals, but of course many corals can sting other corals.

kittenbritches

The Cat's Pajamas
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. First question is what is “Bump”? And what is “+1”. I would see these all over threads and have no clue what it is.
People "bump" a post back to the top of the forum so that more people will see it and potentially respond to it. "+1" is essentially upvoting or agreeing with someone else's response.

Wish I knew.

3. Is my Chaeto Algae healthy?
It looks healthy. Without more nitrates to feast on, growth will stall.

4. One of the most conventional question in my opinion is... anemones. When should they be added if you want to add them. Are anemones reef safe?
The wisdom of reefers tells us not to add anemones to a tank younger than six months, when parameters are likely to be dialed in and stable, and you've got your noob mistakes out of the way. I added one shortly after my tank finished cycling and it's happy and thriving. It moved about five inches from where I initially put it, but has stayed put since then. I knew I was taking a risk adding it early, but I haven't had any negative experiences with it. Depending on the type of anemone you add, you will want to keep it at least 4" from your corals so they don't get stung.

Last edited:
OP
OP
JumpingFlea

JumpingFlea

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
1. Bump just moves that thread to the top of the list so more people see it. +1 just means that you agree.

2. Hard to tell in the pic, sponges possibly.

3. The cheato used up your nitrates and is probably now not getting enough nutrients so stopped growing.

4. I don't know a lot about anemones, but the tank should mature first. There are plenty of people that keep them in a reef tank but they can move and sting corals, but of course many corals can sting other corals.
A sponge? I thought they were almost impossible to grow!

afrokobe

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hahaha I had absolutely no clue that it was an acronymand that what it stood for.
I didnt realize there was acronym either. I just thought it meant to bump it up to the top of the forums.

Continuing with anemones... Rock flower anemones? Heard they are good beginner anemones but are quite aggressive. Anyone had a rock flower before?
I've heard rfa are a lot easier and are pretty hardy. I don't have any experiences with them though...

afrokobe

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are gonis NPS like? Do they need daily feedings?

Also I’ll try to get a better picture of the thing on the goni.
they are photosynthetic. I dose phyto for my tank and my green goni frag isnt doing super hot. Just started dosing amino ab.... we'll see how well that goes.

I think in general gonis have a reputation of being a little finnicky. I did get a flamethrower goni over the weekend and that frag seems to be doing much better than my green one.

Theulli

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I know it’s dying. Hardest coral I’ve ever kept. Don’t know why. I have a very healthy dunkin and hammer so I can do LPS but who knows.

A2967A50-960B-4FDE-A05F-76508024346B.jpeg

3. Is my Chaeto Algae healthy? It has doubled in size quickly but just kind of stopped growing. That might be the reason of my 0 nitrates. I use a led bar type thing and have it on the same time I have my main lights on.

F0DC3E2E-39C2-47E4-A649-BD859C74F079.jpeg

4. One of the most conventional question in my opinion is... anemones. When should they be added if you want to add them. Are anemones reef safe? I do want anemone in my tank at some point but when is it best to add and are they reef safe?

That’s all the questions for now thank you for any responses.

The answer to your anemone questions are it depends and it depends.

I added RFAs to my tank maybe two months after I started it. No problems. I think those are probably the easiest though. In terms of reef safe, you need to understand what type you have. Some like to wander and can bounce across the tank stinging corals, others like the rock flower anemone stay put.

Do you tumble your chaeto? The stuff on top looks a little washed out but that could just be lighting - I try to flip mine over once or twice a week to even out light exposure. In my experience, if you don't see your chaeto literally turning translucent and disintegrating you're doing fine.

OP
OP
JumpingFlea

JumpingFlea

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
they are photosynthetic. I dose phyto for my tank and my green goni frag isnt doing super hot. Just started dosing amino ab.... we'll see how well that goes.

I think in general gonis have a reputation of being a little finnicky. I did get a flamethrower goni over the weekend and that frag seems to be doing much better than my green one.
Should gonis be direct fed and I heard of amino acids but do you dose it or feed it directly?

OP
OP
JumpingFlea

JumpingFlea

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The answer to your anemone questions are it depends and it depends.

I added RFAs to my tank maybe two months after I started it. No problems. I think those are probably the easiest though. In terms of reef safe, you need to understand what type you have. Some like to wander and can bounce across the tank stinging corals, others like the rock flower anemone stay put.

Do you tumble your chaeto? The stuff on top looks a little washed out but that could just be lighting - I try to flip mine over once or twice a week to even out light exposure. In my experience, if you don't see your chaeto literally turning translucent and disintegrating you're doing fine.
There are different types of Rock flowers? Also the chaeto, I tried tumbling it, but it didn't work out and just became messy. Would flipping it once a week be an alternative to flipping it?

OP
OP
JumpingFlea

JumpingFlea

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
There are a ton of different sponges that can grow in a reef tank. Some, like pineapple sponges, are common enough that most new tanks have them at some point.
I did some digging into pineapple sponges and it appears to be what's growing on my goni. I heard they irritate zoas but do they irritate other corals too?

Theulli

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did some digging into pineapple sponges and it appears to be what's growing on my goni. I heard they irritate zoas but do they irritate other corals too?
I’ve got piles of pineapple sponges and never had an issue with them and my corals, but i can’t speak to Gonis specifically.
There are different types of Rock flowers? Also the chaeto, I tried tumbling it, but it didn't work out and just became messy. Would flipping it once a week be an alternative to flipping it?
Yes I think once a week isn’t unusual for flipping it. For the anemones, I meant some types of anemones in general are more mobile than others. Rock flowers are an example of one that tends to stay where you stick em if it is at all acceptable . The types that move around, you have to be good about finding them a spot they won’t want to leave, or they can irritate corals or end up in your power heads

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 12 27.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 36 81.8%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 15.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 2 4.5%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.5%
Back