Both of my clownfish breathing heavy after a 20% water change

robertgifford11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I changed the water of my fish tank yesterday, and today when I turned the lights on, I noticed that both of my clownfish are breathing heavy. All of my levels are 0 and my salinity is 1.023. my temp is 80°. I put 2 power heads pointing at the surface to get more oxygen diffusion. What else should I do? I've had them for over a year in this same tank without any problems. My mandarinfish is doing fine.

47dd27d54e2e69b6095138fd71767005.jpg

RJinPV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How big is the tank and what percentage of the water did you change out? Also what levels are the ph alk and calcium? I assume by "all my levels are zero" you mean ammonia and nitrite. From an oxygen point of view you did a good thing. If there is a hood on the tank you could keep it open and open the windows in the house to get the home CO2 levels down, but I have to think that will be a secondary and small benefit.

OP
OP
R

robertgifford11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I changed 20% of my water. my PH is 8.4, alk is 8dhk, calcium is about 400. the tank is a 10 gallon, and this is the first problem I've had with it for the year I had it so far.

OP
OP
R

robertgifford11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
they were fine the whole day yesterday after the water change, they ate last night and won't eat today. it's weird because they want food whenever I go by the tank

RJinPV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your numbers seem OK. Do you know what the numbers where before you made the change? We're hypothesizing a shock scenario where something like salinity or parameters changed a large amount. . Water temperature too. Is the salt water source the same as what you have been using?

OP
OP
R

robertgifford11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The numbers were all the same. I think it was just oxygen probably, a couple hours after I put the power heads near the top for more oxygen, they stopped breathing that heavy

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last edited:

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there! So they stopped the heavy breathing and are now eating for you? No other symptoms to report besides that?

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes they stopped breathing heavy , but they still won't eat

Give them some time. Try meaty frozen options and you can even try adding a little garlic to entice them to eat again. Stop using the garlic after they start eating though. If any other symptoms show up like spots, swimming into the flow of a power head, a dusty/dirty appearance, ect.... let us know. Until then, keep the top open and the powerheads pointed up.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
May I ask, had the new salt water been sitting. Or was it freshly mixed.

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're using a hydrometer and this was newly mixed water I would be inclined to think a shift from a lower salinity to a higher salinity in a short period of time. Fish tolerate swings in pH a lot better than a rise in SG in a short period of time. Lower SG is easier on fish, raising SG too fast causes stress.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 32 20.5%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 116 74.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.8%
Back