Both tangs have their mouths opened.

Darby1712

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello guys,

I have noticed my Hippo Tang and Powder Blue Tang have their mouths constantly opened, can you guys advise what I should do going forward??

E23CB28A-C955-43B0-88F2-69DEC4530124.jpeg

Nigel35

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It probably is them not eating enough. I have a yellow tang and it had the same problem. The reason it happens is that they are constantly eating algae on the rocks and so there mouths are sore. Just get them eating a little more so that they can spend less time having to eat the algae and you will have them back into shape in no time.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mouths open can be a sign of uronema but that's not commonly seen in tangs, nor is it an assumption I'd make. It could be a mouth injury from darting in to rocks or quarreling. If they're eating and no other symptoms, I wouldn't concern myself too much.

OP
OP
Darby1712

Darby1712

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mouths open can be a sign of uronema but that's not commonly seen in tangs, nor is it an assumption I'd make. It could be a mouth injury from darting in to rocks or quarreling. If they're eating and no other symptoms, I wouldn't concern myself too much.
Yes they are eating well, no sign of them gasping or anything

OP
OP
Darby1712

Darby1712

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It probably is them not eating enough. I have a yellow tang and it had the same problem. The reason it happens is that they are constantly eating algae on the rocks and so there mouths are sore. Just get them eating a little more so that they can spend less time having to eat the algae and you will have them back into shape in no time.
How many times are you feeding your fish ?

MTBake

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank looks pretty bare of algae for them to eat. Are you feeding nori or other algae sheets? My kole would have this happen when my tank was still new. I agree with @Nigel35. They keep picking at rocks or glass to feed and aren't getting enough to eat. Causing their mouths to be sore. Try nori sheets on a clip. LRS Herbivore blend is good too.

OP
OP
Darby1712

Darby1712

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank looks pretty bare of algae for them to eat. Are you feeding nori or other algae sheets? My kole would have this happen when my tank was still new. I agree with @Nigel35. They keep picking at rocks or glass to feed and aren't getting enough to eat. Causing their mouths to be sore. Try nori sheets on a clip. LRS Herbivore blend is good too.
Yes I agree with you , I feed the algae pellets on a daily basis, and nori sheets

MTBake

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW, I've let the glass on my tank get a little dirty. Kole tangs like film algae. Mine picks at the glass and rocks all day.

Here's a pic of the front glass. You can see it's mouth marks all over it. I don't have many corals in the tank and it really likes to eat this film algae. So I let the glass get dirty and don't clean it all at once. Hardly any algae is growing on my rocks, so this is the method I've chosen to help feed him/her.
20200623_171838.jpg

Tanked2022

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine does that too and eats well she’s a piggy lol and very active and I’m very suprised not skittish with me at all

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 23.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 57 34.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 49 29.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.4%

Back